Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not Hobart?

There's no teams called South Australia, Victoria, Queensland etc

I get there's a rivalry v Launceston but dunno

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, following on from the esteemed tradition of Greater Western Sydney, we should call it the:

'Vaguely Defined Southern Island Concept Some of Which Isn't Even Actually In Tasmania And Isn't Actually A Place...Devils'

Based on watching some absolutely shocking games. More teams will see this increase.

I forgot shocking games were a new invention and there were none when there was 14 teams in the good old days.

Ah. You think that Manchester and Liverpool are just a short drive to London. On a good day it's a long drive. On a day when there is traffic and accidents (most days) it is a nightmare.
Lol, they're both 41/2 hr drives, Hobart to Melbourne is 15hrs with an expensive ferry ride thrown in, not really something you can do before your Sat/Sun arvo home game is it.

Ah. You think that Manchester and Liverpool are just a short drive to London. On a good day it's a long drive. On a day when there is traffic and accidents (most days) it is a nightmare.
Most Man Utd fans live in London ;)

Why not Hobart?

Beat me to it.

There is no point in naming a team after a state, only a city or region.

Just imagine, if the population of Tassie expands dramatically, unlikely I know, but if it was to happen, then there may be the opportunity to have a second team based in Launceston.

It is important to leave the door open as no-one knows what the future holds.

As for the name, given the ground is going to be located at Macquarie Point, it would make sense to have some sort of nautical theme behind it, it's not compulsory but a good angle all the same :

Hobart Helmsman
Hobart Bargemen

Some wildlife alternatives are :

Hobart Handfish
Hobart Humpbacks
Hobart Geckos

A couple of the more obvious options are :

Hobart Mountaineers
Hobart Cormorants

If you look at the Tasmanian leaf-toed gecko, it already has the club colours which may make it a great fit :

licensed-image

I'm nearly all in on 'Humpbacks' too, gives a nod to the island state as well as giving the impression of size & strength, characteristics that fit well with a football club.

Both the geckos & humpbacks would appeal to the younger brigade which would augur well for the future patronage.

Lol, they're both 41/2 hr drives, Hobart to Melbourne is 15hrs with an expensive ferry ride thrown in, not really something you can do before your Sat/Sun arvo home game is it.
You'd be lucky to get change out of 6 hours for either in normal conditions, then add tolls and congestion charges. I've done it quite a few times.

When these teams play in London you know it's like an interstate trip for our teams, they come down the day before and stay overnight etc.

You never heard of a plane?

London is dour in December to February as well. It’s grey, the days are like 8 hours long and it’s just awfully cold. Nobody wants to do anything but drink.

In Hobart, you have surf coasts, fishing, outdoor activities all within short drives of you and if you wanted to get adventurous you could take a flight to the mainland and go see your family.

Charlie Curnow spends more time in Torquay than he does in Melbourne, that’s not exactly close either. Albeit a lot closer than Tasmania, it’s still achievable is my point.

London is dour in December to February as well. It’s grey, the days are like 8 hours long and it’s just awfully cold. Nobody wants to do anything but drink.

In Hobart, you have surf coasts, fishing, outdoor activities all within short drives of you and if you wanted to get adventurous you could take a flight to the mainland and go see your family.

Charlie Curnow spends more time in Torquay than he does in Melbourne, that’s not exactly close either. Albeit a lot closer than Tasmania, it’s still achievable is my point.

Tassie to Melbourne (and vice versa) is quick and easy. I'm heading down this weekend and will be back before Monday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry what, a short drive you reckon? You ever been to England? Liverpool to London is 4.5 hours and is on some of the most horrendous Country roads you've ever seen. To clarify, I lived in London for two years and made many trips to Liverpool as I'm a Liverpool fan.

Manchester City had no success until recently, so that point doesn't stand up either.

I am absolutely certain that Tasmania will be a good club.
Man city we're heavily invested in with oil money and 10's of millions of dollars in signings when they returned to the Premier league.
Not sure Tassies salary cap will compare to be fair.

Why not Hobart?

As has been said, many do not live in Hobart and it seems there are plans to regularly have games in Launcenston.

It would be a first for the AFL, but just look at the NBA - they have three (four if you count Golden State) teams named after states rather than cities.

And there is no way they are getting a second team there so may as well name it after the whole state.

So they'll be flying in and out of Hobart every week then, one week to play, one week for family time, yeah, good luck with that, will get real monotonous real quick.

The good thing about BF is this thread will still be buried here in 10yrs time when it'll become a reality.

Man city we're heavily invested in with oil money and 10's of millions of dollars in signings when they returned to the Premier league.
Not sure Tassies salary cap will compare to be fair.
It doesn’t need to, it just needs to compare to those in the same sport. Which Man City does.. which I elucidated in my original point..

I’m on first name basis with Paul Lake, we worked together and had great conversations about Man City and their present day success. They obviously spend a lot but it isn’t obnoxious compared to teams in the beautifully temperate southwestern Europe

Maybe you just want Tasmania to fail and that’s your bias? I just don’t get how you can argue that they will.

It doesn’t need to, it just needs to compare to those in the same sport. Which Man City does.. which I elucidated in my original point..

I’m on first name basis with Paul Lake, we worked together and had great conversations about Man City and their present day success. They obviously spend a lot but it isn’t obnoxious compared to teams in the beautifully temperate southwestern Europe

Maybe you just want Tasmania to fail and that’s your bias? I just don’t get how you can argue that they will.
I dont want them to fail at all, I just dont think it'll be a club that can sustain players long enough to achieve the ultimate success when I look at history and see a steady stream of players leaving much more livable area's than Hobart to head to Melbourne.

I dont want them to fail at all, I just dont think it'll be a club that can sustain players long enough to achieve the ultimate success when I look at history and see a steady stream of players leaving much more livable area's than Hobart to head to Melbourne.
I disagree but am happy to drop this here, you aren’t being all that unreasonable I just think we sit at opposite sides of the argument and won’t come to an agreement.

I disagree but am happy to drop this here, you aren’t being all that unreasonable I just think we sit at opposite sides of the argument and won’t come to an agreement.
Fair enough, but lets not forget, many Vicco's tell us South Australians that we cant keep our Vic recruits because Adelaide is a boring shithole where no one wants to live, Im not sure Hobart is any less of a boring shithole but for some reason we're overlooking it now.

Go figure.

You must be.

We were drinking with the Mayors of 'Western' and 'West Coast' - not the actual local government, the vaguely defined region encompassing half the country - too. It was a big ol' west-fest.

The one thing we all agreed on was that the Tasmanian team should be called Hobart, to not disrupt the longstanding tradition of only naming teams after cities or even actual places.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back