Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

90% of the people don't even want a team down here. The majority of comments are negative. The stadium will hardly ever be filled to capacity. Telling you right now, it's going to fail miserably.

It will sell out against Collingwood/Richmond/Carlton/Essendon as local fans of those teams haven't had much of a chance to see them play here. After the initial novelty wears off it will be sparse against most other teams as they get flogged by 10 goals by the likes of Freo and GC. Everyone here has a team, not many will change and those that do won't stick through a GC like trajectory of pain. Yes there are a vocal minority that want a Tas team but I don't think people really understand the apathy of the general public down here.

It will sell out against Collingwood/Richmond/Carlton/Essendon as local fans of those teams haven't had much of a chance to see them play here. It will be sparse against most other teams as they get flogged by 10 goals by the likes of Freo and GC. Everyone here has a team, not many will change and those that do won't stick through a GC like trajectory of pain. Yes there are a vocal minority that want a Tas team but I don't think people really understand the apathy of the general public down here.
You think the AFL will schedule the biggest clubs to play down here? Tassie will play Freo, GWS, Suns, North. It's all about the $

If the French can protect the term Champagne then surely we can bring in similar laws to protect the names of our flora and fauna (and maybe some locations).

Completely agree...but I'd say the difference is the French don't really GAF if they piss off people along the way.

Hopefully the Tassie govt et al develops a similar attitude.

What is it with you Tasmanians and completely misrepresenting the Devils v Demons conversation as not being able to tell them apart?

I've had someone try to tell me that the Tasmanian Devil doesn't have the same etymological roots which is wrong, and now people saying that the nickname is actually 'Tasmanian Devils' as if the Devils wouldn't be used in isolation to be less distinguishable from the Demons.
When using the term Devils, everyone will be referring to this:
R.jpg
...and not this:
istockphoto-510202007-612x612.jpg
A person who isn't is the aforementioned dumbarse, and not a real footy fan anyway...meaning we don't need to be talking to that type of person. Noone worth talking to will go on a wanky etymological rant, because they will be as well versed in zoology as they are in word construction.

The conversation has always revolved around people referring to Devils and Demons as the same concept. Ask the Tasmanians, we've been there. Thank god for a second head, I say...the other one stays hidden until it heals from the face-palming injuries...

You say that but I won't be shocked if the AFL absolutely stack the fixture for the Devils.

Pies, Dons, Tigers and Blues all at home. Rivalry game vs North in Hobart. An 'away' game in Launceston vs the Hawks.

They'll want to make it work ASAP
Yep absolutely.

You think the AFL will schedule the biggest clubs to play down here? Tassie will play Freo, GWS, Suns, North. It's all about the $

Yes, they have to play Tasmania somewhere so why play what would be a low drawing game at the MCG when you can sell out the new stadium in Hobart?

It's different to Hawthorn and North selling off games, Tasmania will have their home game allotment for the year just like every other club. If you're from VIC and can have Hobart as one of your away games it's an easy choice over flying further afield.

Yes, they have to play Tasmania somewhere so why play what would be a low drawing game at the MCG when you can sell out the new stadium in Hobart?

It's different to Hawthorn and North selling off games, Tasmania will have their home game allotment for the year just like every other club. If you're from VIC and can have Hobart as one of your away games it's an easy choice over flying further afield.
Big teams like Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon will get a bigger crowd at the MCG if they played Tas. They play down here it'll rarely be a sell out. The AFL isn't stupid

They 110% wanted to call the nbl team the devils the reason it didn’t happen was the afl already had is trademarked
Well it worked out well for them, as Jackjumpers is a fantastic name imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When using the term Devils, everyone will be referring to this:
View attachment 1677061
That’s not a devil, it’s a tasmanian devil. ergo the team name Tasmania Tasmanian Devils is ok. Tasmania Devils is not as a “devil” is too similar to a demon, sorry about that.

It will likely be the Tasmania Football Club, nicknamed 'Devils'.

People will end up saying "Tasmanian Devils" anyway, like "the Gold Coast"

Big teams like Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon will get a bigger crowd at the MCG if they played Tas. They play down here it'll rarely be a sell out. The AFL isn't stupid
Dons played UTAS recently and packed it out, with an overwhelming dons crowd too.

I reckon they'd pull decent crowds. And probably get a few who will travel too

About bloody time.

Agree with other posters this should of been done 20 or 30 years ago...

For me must wear the state of origin guernsey and be called the devils.

Also have heard stadium will have a roof (can then have concerts as well...cricket anything. )

Tasmania is a beautiful place to me it's a mini new Zealand.

Australians bagging the place should be ashamed

And look at how successful the new name, JackJumpers, has been.

It shows you how a marketing department can hit it out of the park, when they think outside the box and can appeal to the younger generation. "Devils", I'm sorry, is tragically boring. It's almost as if you've given up trying to come up with something and named the team after what Bob from Kmart wants.

I repeat, what the point even having a bloody marketing department if such a predictable boring name is used?

The "success of the name" is a reflection of how they've gone since they started, not the other way around.

They'll define themselves through how they perform, not their name.

A marketing team have plenty to do aside from a name.

What do you suggest as a name?

So when the new team is brought in, who will benefit ? Gold coast and gws were broughtl in and sucked up all the talent, next minute you have a hawthorn 3 peat. Who is the club that is ready to pounce ala hawthorn? Coll/Carl are my picks.
We're not badly positioned
Lotsa kids from last few drafts
Will get at least one more look

Heppell the only retiree on the horizon from the 22.

I welcome this tassie team laying the groundwork for 17 thru 20 for us ;)

Dons played UTAS recently and packed it out, with an overwhelming dons crowd too.

I reckon they'd pull decent crowds. And probably get a few who will travel too
Haw v Ess, Ess roll in to town and it’s our home game. Incredibly amusing considering how much time hawthorn have spent down there.

For the love of god. IF and IF the team is named say Tasmania Mariners, do not refer to them as the Tasmanian Mariners. You don't hear the Atlanta Hawks called the Atlantan Hawks
Marinas.? Oh, I don't know.

Maybe de Merkins... Gotta keep warm down there somehow.

For him and for her:

41VDg5LmeTL._AC_.jpg

Keepin 'em on the Map. :)

Last edited:
I have seen numerous polls with the question "do you want a Tasmanian team in the afl?" every single poll has been at least 70% no. Thousands of votes.

Most people would rather the Tasmanian government spend 700 million dollars on things that are in crisis, health, housing etc etc.

Every day flogs voting on where government should spend money isn’t polling sports fans on whether they want an AFL team

I really fear this is not going to work for a host of reasons like not enough people in Tasmania to sustain a team and players not wanting to move to Tasmania but I hope I am wrong and they succeed.
I would much rather live in Tassie than Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back