Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen numerous polls with the question "do you want a Tasmanian team in the afl?" every single poll has been at least 70% no.

Having an AFL team down there adds hugely to people retention, and to people wanting to move to Tassie.

Also, that money being spent down there on this venture, is all inward capital, which adds to Tasmania's economy.
More jobs/wages etc.

Haw v Ess, Ess roll in to town and it’s our home game. Incredibly amusing considering how much time hawthorn have spent down there.
Twas amusing
Minnows ;)

I know, I was there. Completely different as it was an Essendon game, not Tasmania. And it wasn't a sell out
Take put hawks, add local side. Should still do a decent job of getting ppl there.

90% of the people don't even want a team down here. The majority of comments are negative. The stadium will hardly ever be filled to capacity. Telling you right now, it's going to fail miserably.
I disagree the Karen's you see whinging are the minority.
Just loud and outspoken on Facebook.
I think it will be sold out/full most games.

Curious why do you think it will fail?

I have seen numerous polls with the question "do you want a Tasmanian team in the afl?" every single poll has been at least 70% no. Thousands of votes.

Most people would rather the Tasmanian government spend 700 million dollars on things that are in crisis, health, housing etc etc.
There's no way the money allocated to the stadium would have gone to those areas anyway.

If anything, I'd argue that building the stadium has given things like housing, health, homelessness, poverty etc far greater public focus than if the stadium hasn't been built - which will put the government under greater pressure to address those issues.

I have seen numerous polls with the question "do you want a Tasmanian team in the afl?" every single poll has been at least 70% no. Thousands of votes.

Most people would rather the Tasmanian government spend 700 million dollars on things that are in crisis, health, housing etc etc.

Is this mystery poll alongside the one suggesting 89% of fans want a night Grand Final?

You think the AFL will schedule the biggest clubs to play down here? Tassie will play Freo, GWS, Suns, North. It's all about the $
Well, each club plays a total of 11 home games per season, or something like that right?

So they aren’t going to host Freo, GWS, Suns, North, Saints or something twice are they? They’re going to have to have 11 unique visitors per season. Every chance Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, West Coast are one of those 11 each year.

The type of people who do these polls on clickbait news articles are not even footy fans.

70% of 50 people who don't even follow afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way the money allocated to the stadium would have gone to those areas anyway.

If anything, I'd argue that building the stadium has given things like housing, health, homelessness, poverty etc far greater public focus than if the stadium hasn't been built - which will put the government under greater pressure to address those issues.
Finally someone who understands finance.
Some of these naysayers clearly don't understand economics.

"But but housing!!!1111"
Completely void of critical thinking ability.

Notice it’s some of the clubs fans that were pillaging Tassie that seem to be the loudest saying it won’t work?
This is the thing.... The irony of this was the similar case with west coast coming in the league in 1987.

Some of those WA guys were aged 20-24 went to the Victorian sides.

Mark Bairstow was playing for south Fremantle in 1986. Geelong signed him in late 1986. 10 days later the eagles were given an AFL license.

Ironic that eagles 35 man squad, 6 or 7 of the WA guys with VFL experience were an ageing Ross Glendenning, an ageing John Annear and an injury prone Phil Narkle.

Rest of those blokes were 18-21 year Olds. 6 years later, those 18-21 year Olds in 1987 were 24-27 when eagles won the flag in 1992.

Your team GWS had a massive 50 man squad and a lot of 1st round picks. But smart of your team to have a few 30 year Olds on that list for 2 or 3 years.

The only experienced player I wished GWS got in 2012 was Lenny Hayes from the saints.

I didn't care if he was 32 years old. He was a pennant Hills guy, that's in North West of NSW. He would of been a good Captain.

As for Tassie. They don't need 10 picks in the top 20.

Bare minimum would be the top 2 picks of each Round for the 7 rounds. That's 14 picks.

They should also have an extended Rookie list of 8-10 players, all from the Tassie state league.

So when the new team is brought in, who will benefit ? Gold coast and gws were brought in and sucked up all the talent, next minute you have a hawthorn 3 peat. Who is the club that is ready to pounce ala hawthorn? Coll/Carl are my picks.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

However I think that they'll do it differently this time. At least some of the picks they get will have to be traded for experienced players (just me guessing)

I guess that they will push hard to bring some Tassie kids through the pipeline. Would be nice if they could get 10 local kids through their inaugural class that would be a great outcome. That's a fair few more than recent times but hopefully having clear pathways might encourage some that previously lost their way.

We drafted Lachie Cowan in the most recent draft. Looks like he'll be a good young player. By the time the team comes in he'll be one of their prime targets (assuming he continues to improve). If he wanted to go home carlton should be compensated for their efforts and loss via draft picks.

So let's give them a list of 50 at the outset. Ten of these have to be untried Tasmanian kids. Hopefully 10 will be Tasmanians wanting to go home that gave played AFL. 20 will be existing AFL players (maybe even 1 a club) that range from good players to DFA's (an independent body would allocate if any compensation is required) and 10 new draftees. Good recruiters can identify players that are likely to stay.

Hobart is probably the best city in Australia.
How so? Elaborate?

Look.... I live in Adelaide. So I can't comment on Tassie as I have never been there.

I like Adelaide for its footy culture. I even go to SANFL games. You don't get that unless you live in WA.

I have been to Perth. To be it's like Adelaide but twice the population.

Melbourne is fine if you like nightlife and the footy too.

Only been to NSW in 2006 for like 24 hours. So I can't comment much

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back