Team of the Century Gaffe

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a 7+ year old post. Links worked fine at the time. You could always go do your own research I suppose.
In the 1931 semi final when Soapy Vallence kicked 11 goals, Jack Regan was still an 18 year old playing his 12th game of senior footy. Regan wasn't playing full back.

So much for your 'research'.

In the 1931 semi final when Soapy Vallence kicked 11 goals, Jack Regan was still an 18 year old playing his 12th game of senior footy. Regan wasn't playing full back.

Actually Regan was 19yo and he was in his second year of senior footy. Granted he may have not lined up on Vallence for the whole match, but not sure you could definitively say he didn't play fullback during the game, unless you have a source?

Still, the point of the post, which was that Regan had more double figure bags kicked against him that Silvagni, holds true.

So much for your 'research'.

Yes. That assumption of yours wipes away all the examples I quoted :rolleyes:

Actually Regan was 19yo and he was in his second year of senior footy. Granted he may have not lined up on Vallence for the whole match, but not sure you could definitively say he didn't play fullback during the game, unless you have a source?

Still, the point of the post, which was that Regan had more double figure bags kicked against him that Silvagni, holds true.

Yes. That assumption of yours wipes away all the examples I quoted :rolleyes:
Still active old boy? You've been very quiet in recent times...

You are right 8 Full Forwards / CHF in the case of Nash from that era made their team of the century. You are correct .... Stats don't lie.

Coventry- 1299 goals
Pratt-681 goals in only 158 games
Titus- 970 goals in 294 games
Vallance- 722 goals in only 204 games
Mohr- 735 goals in only 195 games
Moriarty- 662 goals in only 170 games
Smith- 572 goals

Yes, the golden era of Full Forwards.

FWIW 9 ToC's and a very comparable spread of goalkickers, albeit a different era.

Dunstall (1254 goals) - ToC
Lockett (1360 goals) - ToC (x2 as FF ahead of both Mohr and Pratt)
Ablett (1030 goals) - ToC
Richardson (800 goals) - ToC
Carey (727 goals) - ToC
Modra (588 - 165 games) - Toc
Sumich (514 goals, 150 games) - ToC (ToD x2)
Lyon (426 goals) - ToC
Hird (343 goals) - ToC
Rocca - (748 goals, 157 games)

Last edited:
Didn't put that particularly well. There was a phase there for a few years were the umpires were red hot on players caught behind trying to impact the contest if there was even an extremely minor infringement. Appears to have calmed down over the past year or two

...with good reason!

To take the conspiracy theory a step further, back in those days (1930's and 40's) there were strong sectarian divides in Melbourne. Regan and the two TotC selectors were on opposite sides of the fence. Just sayin'.

Fair comment but SOS is still a catholic ......

Fwiw ..... Thought jock mchale should have been the coach !!!!!

I've said it elsewhere and it's probably been posted elsewhere but only one pure fullback ever won the Brownlow- Fred Goldsmith...

Silvagni used to get away with murder hanging on to players' jumpers, one of the most overrated players of all time.

This is an argument I never understood.

Sure SoS used to scrag, won't argue that for a second. But so did everyone else back then and it was basically within the rules. If he did anything so outrageous, why didn't give away a free kick every contest?

Yet despite the ridiculous rules favouring FBs (or was it just SoS?) guys like Ablett, Dunstall and Lockett used to kick 100+ goals a season at will. Other factors like man-on-man defence, open forward lines and the ability to put hands in the back at will, favoured the forwards.

Yet Silvagni was still the best in the business at keeping these all-time greats under control (much of the time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS himself was embarrassed by the selection at the time (from 4:29):

As I am only 24 I have never seen Dench or Southby play, and I only have passing memories of Langford. Silvagni is easily the best full back I have ever personally watched. He played against, and routinely beat, the best full forwards the game has ever seen. Knew how to kick a goal as well.

I think it's a bit unfair that so much vitriol is being directed towards SOS. He didn't ask to be selected ahead of others.

One also needs to remember that he won multiple AAs after his selection to further prove the worthiness of his inclusion.

Last edited:
SOS played on all the great forwards we talk about.
Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett...arguably the best 3 key forwards of all time and he played on them all, and often won the contest.

I didnt see much of the other guys, and I'm sure they were great in their own right, but to say SOS is undeserving is a bit rich.

Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett...arguably the best 3 key forwards of all time and he played on them all, and often won the contest.

I didnt see much of the other guys, and I'm sure they were great in their own right, but to say SOS is undeserving is a bit rich.

This is spot on. Throw Carey and Hird in along with Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett. These are all-time greats of the game. And Silvagni regularly beat these guys head-to-head at FB or CHB, didn't matter. Now if you want to rate another FB higher than SOS, then go right ahead; but to claim as undeserving, a guy who beat this array of forwards more than any other defender in his time, is just stupidity.

Jack Regan is a fascinating character.

He retired in 1942 and his thoughts can be found in the Army News of 29 January 1942. In the article he was named as the greatest fullback since Vic Thorp and named Bob Pratt as the most difficult full forward. He retired after 11 years leaving a good public service job to join a Salesian community in Sunbury as a lay brother.

Also before him was Vic Thorp the Richmond defender.

Given that Regan retired 50 years before he was not likely to get much support for team of the century.

So did Dustin Fletcher.

I wonder how old these people are who claim SOS "routinely" towelled up these great full forwards?

It's not that this is just untrue, but I can't quite believe it's anymore than Chinese whispers that has lead people to repeat this myth.

I wonder how old these people are who claim SOS "routinely" towelled up these great full forwards?

It's not that this is just untrue, but I can't quite believe it's anymore than Chinese whispers that has lead people to repeat this myth.
Would love to see some sort of break down of goal average from big FFs when he was playing on them compared to when he wasn't.

Someone did one for Max Hudghton on the Saints board once that showed that David Neitz of all people was the only one who didn't do worse against him.

Would love to see some sort of break down of goal average from big FFs when he was playing on them compared to when he wasn't.

Someone did one for Max Hudghton on the Saints board once that showed that David Neitz of all people was the only one who didn't do worse against him.

SOS regularly didn't play against these guys either. I saw Michael Sexton and Peter Dean amongst others take their turns

Anyone interested in Gary Ablett Snr's views on the subject might get a bit of chuckle if they google it, we'll unless you're on team SOS. Then it's not pretty reading

Remove this Banner Ad

Team of the Century Gaffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back