News Team V Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again a whole lot of whining over nothing in this thread. D. Stewart is stiff, yes, but Schulz is fit and must come back in, therefore D.Stew misses. Simple. Carlile injured and so Nash in is sensible given the Dogs mosquito fleet forward line. From what i can see Nash' output has been vastly underrated by bf so far. Davenport has a fair bit to prove now i think. He offers us some good pace and finishing ability but some of his weak efforts in contests in the past 3 or 4 games he played were cringeworthy. Let's hope all these blokes can justify there selections.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98244/default.aspx

Port Adelaide

B: Paul Stewart, Jackson Trengove, Nick Salter
HB: Steven Salopek, Troy Chaplin, Matt Thomas
C: Kane Cornes, Domenic Cassisi, Travis Boak
HF: Justin Westhoff, Jay Schulz, David Rodan
F: Jason Davenport, Daniel Motlop, Brett Ebert
Foll: Dean Brogan, Danyle Pearce, Tom Logan
I/C: Mitch Banner, Matt Broadbent, Cameron Hitchcock, Jay Nash
Emg: Andrew Moore, Scott Harding, Daniel Stewart

In: Davenport, Nash, Schulz
Out: Atipate Carlile (back), Josh Carr, Daniel Stewart

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98244/default.aspx

Oh dear.....

Oh Dear indeed. Same old same old.

Status Quo 1, Primus 0.

So when will gray be back? Never?

Named to play in South's reserves (West have the bye) - he's been out 8 weeks with a 2 week hamstring injury, so will eased back.

Not awe inspiring selections although it's not like there were very inspiring options there anyway.

We've taken out a tall for a runner.

Will be interested to see our style of play and where the players end up playing.

Moderate pass mark for Primus in his first assignment.

Davenport in, D Stewart out, good move. Davenport is worth at least a couple of goals as a creative running flanker, Stewart is a long way off the mark IMO and needs to spend the rest of this year at Prospect to learn the game and how to play as a tall forward, then bulk up over summer and put in a solid preseason.
Schulzy straight back in was mandatory. Our only form tall forward all year.
Good sign that Chad hasn't been rushed back in and gets a gig at the Bays to get form before the Showdown.
Carr out shows at least a start of bringing an end to the Gold Pass / resurrected hack regime.

Negatives - Motlop and Westhoff still in. Has to be a last hurrah for both. With Carlile out maybe experiment with him down back?
Salter named in back pocket. A bit like hosing down your concrete driveway, waste of a useful resource. Still, the Thursday lineups these days aren't generally set in stone and at least he's getting a game. Go Nickolei!
Nash - hmm, a bit baffled by this one. They must see something in this bloke. Maybe lucky Hartlett twanged the thigh again.

$64'000 question is the game plan. Watch with interest. Think if we can play direct attacking footy and one on one accountable footy down back, we might just upset them without their key finisher.

all i want to say is WTF??

we might as well have kept choco in and kept the money that we gave him.. hope he has some sort of game plan worked out otherwise we're screwed again!!

and does anyone else think its a tad bit suss how we have to go to darwin twice in one year and no-one else does?? its really fked!!

I like Logan on the ball, he's the toughest guy we have.

scazvegner90 mate.. we choose to go to Darwin twice a year and will for the next four. and I wouldn't worry too much about what the Thursday teams say because we usually line up a little differently.. though the fear was with Choco the difference was not enough on game day.. but let us hope there more emphasis on a proper forward line and less on a Hoff wing'd Salter back'd plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst these selection are completely underwhelming, who else do we have aside from Moore (who would get torn apart up there) or Cloke (who is just generally mediocre)?

all i want to say is WTF??

we might as well have kept choco in and kept the money that we gave him.. hope he has some sort of game plan worked out otherwise we're screwed again!!

and does anyone else think its a tad bit suss how we have to go to darwin twice in one year and no-one else does?? its really fked!!

So sus we asked for it!

The club gets 100K or so each AWAY game there given the SANFL and their vultures rip every little cent they can out of us at AAMI it's probably one of the few times will make money this year.

I think we've signed up for 3 years of this...

I actually thought this team wasnt too bad i would like to have seen Cloke in given Bob's injury so Jackson can play a full time FB role and punted Motlop back to North Adelaide aprt from that who/what else can we do with the players available?

Can't say that the changes enthuse me, but our hands are a little tied when it comes to selection.

The three disappointing features for me are:
1. Stewart dropped - no doubt he hasn't set the world on fire in his first few games, but he's shown some signs and would benefit from the coach's confidence a bit and some perseverance. His omission also reduces us to a Schulz, Motlop, Ebert, Westhoff led forward line, given that Salter is still unlikely to be played forward. Two of those names forwards are grossly out of form and one in particular saves his worst footy for his home town of Darwin.

The return of 2. Nash and 3. Davenport.
I am definitely not in the Davenport "good" camp. I agree wholeheartedly with posters who have identified his repeated squibbing. He also has become one of the biggest culprits when it comes to skill and decision making. When he marks the ball on the wing he has this strong tendency to produce an underkicked centring pass that gets cut-off and results in a turnover goal. Do not like.
Nash put in a shocker against North Melbourne and has been on the decline in his AFL matches since his debut for us.

Overall, Matty had limited options but I don't think he's made good calls.

Let's now see if he can at least have the players perform better on the park.

Whilst these selection are completely underwhelming, who else do we have aside from Moore (who would get torn apart up there) or Cloke (who is just generally mediocre)?

Meyer or not dropping Stewart.

Dissapointed to see D Stewart dropped, shows a bit IMO.

Happy to see Bob out though, not sold on him or Chappy - along with Brogan they are the chief protaginists in the sideways and backwards kicking and none of them have the skill to actually make it work. I'm so sick of seeing us with the ball on the wing, one good kick from the top of the square and then we try and go anti clockwise around the other side - only to see us cough the ball up because we don't have the skills in our side to play this type of possesion game - not many sides do and the ones that do have the skill don't waste their time.

The difference between the way Collingwood went forward and the way we went backwards was the sole reason we lost last week IMOO.

The fact that Motlop is still getting a game is BS, to me he is playing way worse than Chad.

I'd of liked to of seen Chad come in for this game, not because he deserves a game, but solely because if there is a game he's going to come good in - it would be Kane's 200th. Those 2 would walk through fire for each other.

Don't get me started on JW, I think Al might have to ressurect his thread!!

Overall not impressed with these selections and it proves that team we are putting on the park was not entirely choco's fault.

I will not hold my breath to see an improvement in our game plan, we still have the same forward & back coaches and now our midfield coach is leading the ship. IMO not one of these areas has been up to scratch.

Perhaps the reason Laidley wants to leave at the end of the year is because no one will listen or try something different?

Think I've seen enough to suggest a new direction for the coaching box and selection committee is needed at the end of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Team V Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back