Thank you Scotty West

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scott West Dumped

Don't like the way they handled it though could have let him go out in a bit better fashion then just delisting him.

How could the club have handled this any better?

Sounds like Westy refused to retire at his meeting today and then told someone outside the club which made its way to the media this afternoon.

Thus forcing the clubs hand to announce that he was not to have his contract renewed.

I reckon the club would be very upset with the way it has turned out ...... but some players just cant see the end coming can they?

Right Decision imo tough one to make considering his a club legend but probably would'nt get a game next season and knee could stuff up again. Don't like the way they handled it though could have let him go out in a bit better fashion then just delisting him.

I sort of agree with what you are saying, but even had they explored a more dignified exit, we all would have known he'd been pushed. I guess the Bulldogs decided not to try and pull the wool over their supporters' eyes.

Scott West is still and always will be a champion of the game, I for one will be very sad to see him go but thats the life of a footy player. you just never know when it can end... Scott West = Bloody champion:thumbsu:

They wanted him to retire and he wouldn't. A sad way to go out but the writing has been on the wall for the last 6 weeks. I guess not all champions ride off into the sunset in a blaze of glory, some go kicking and screaming. I wish Scott all the best for his post football life.

guys, i am sure we are over reacting here. We dont know what was said between him and eade. It may have been mutual for all we know???

I love westy, but after seeing footage of him playing for Willy a few weeks ago, hobbling round , struggling to run, i think it will be very , very hard for him to bet back to being a good contributor at AFL level, and thats just the harsh reality of AFL now a days

cheers

The footage wasn't good and it would have been a long way back from there

He has struggled all season to over-come his knee troubles and failed. I think the club has given him a decent run to get right, but at 34 (turning 35 next year) his knee(s) are probably never going to be "right". The writing was on the wall, I think Westy just chose to ignore it.

Great player, and a "tough love" call that had to be made by the club.

I doubt that the Bullies made this decision easily but sometimes the call has to be made in the best interests of the club.

Scott West had a great career and was admired by all true footy fans it is a shame that it couldn't end in happier circumstances.

I'd much rather him go out like this, where it is still a pseudo-retirement, as opposed to potentially playing a half-arsed season somewhere like Fremantle, and ruining his legacy.

surprising they'd do it like that, interesting how the group would take it.

Some still point to Johnny Worsfold being over looked for a semi final and subsquently 'retired' as being the catalyst for Malthouse finishing up at WCE.

Oh well, great player for many, many years. Disappointing way to go out but an awesome career.

Reckon Brad Johnson is looking over his shoulder now? ;)

When a player is a club champion who has given his team years of great service it presents them with an OPPORTUNITY to write their own story and go out on their own terms. Not a GUARANTEE.

When they fail to make the decision when they should the club should and will make it for them.

That's exactly what the Bullies have done, and knowing full well that the bogans of the west would be spitting out their beer and cornflakes, makes this decision all the more meritorious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THANK WESTY u have been my fav player, you were the season I support the Doggies thanks MATE!

I would have liked him to go out like Harvs tho :(

a legend, a quiet achiever a battler what more can describe scott west. hard done in the brownlow counts numerous times and unfortunately never managed to win a flag however he always did his job week in week out. will be missed and kudos to your career westy.

Great club champion, and such a constant presence when you played the Dogs, he's another one things just won't seem the same without. Still, time was catching up even before the injury so it seems the right decision by the club.

I was a bit surprised when Westy was on The Footy Show, when he was asked if he thought going on next year would help the club, he said he hadn't looked at it that way. Eade and the selectors have to look at it that way, and really, he has to see their point of view.

I'm sure he'd rather play on, but from the outside doesn't seem the type for the big farewell. A lap of honour before a game next year - like Buckley did and Burns will do - will be a nice chance for fans to say goodbye. I hope he comes to terms with this and goes gracefully to give his supporters that chance.

All the best to him.

Respect for the Dogs has fallen. Poor form.

Well done West. What a champ.

gee i wonder how tucky felt when he was forced to retire by hawthorn ...some players know when to go and others force the clubs hand always have and always will....and dont think for one minute it wont happen again maybe even to buddy of crawford ....clubs need to move on to keep improving and age catches up with everyone

Sounds like a piss poor way to treat one of the very best players that club has seen.

Would have thought youd let him go out on his terms.

disagree... It looks Like Scott West is about the only one thinking he can still play on. Maybe he thinks he can go on for another couple of years so what happens in 12 months ??

and if players were allowed to go out on their terms Michael Tuck would probably still be running around ;)

Taking the emotion out of this for a moment, it was the right decision by the Western Bulldogs. West is 33, missed most of the season with a degenerative knee problem and his place was taken by a couple of young guys (Hill, Harbrow, Tiller). Football is a team game. Yes Westy has been a champion for the club and has been a sensational servant of the game, but there comes a time when it has to end. What else could the Western Bulldogs do if he refused to retire? Keep him on the list and play him at Williamstown? Wouldn't that have been even more embarassing for the guy.

I think you have to back the club on this one. Their job is to put the Doggies as close as possible to winning a premiership. Would West have made a difference last Friday night? My heart says I wish he would have, but my head says not likely.

Scott West, thanks for the memories. You have been a wonderful servant for the club. The club asks one more thing from you, please retire with dignity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you Scotty West

Remove this Banner Ad

Back