• Varcoe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stokes

• Byrnes

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Since it seems to be that time of year where we are discussing the best 22, I figured it thread worthy. First of all I thought this might help (not that I'm trying to usurp you lovely mods:)) user friendliness wise to have a place for it.

Most of all I would like to get some feedback as I'm interested to see what our BF members think the 22 should be, and what they'd do if they were coach.

Obviously we need to drop 2 players to put SJ and Hawk back in, so I have created a poll with the list of players I think would be discussed. Note that I am not advocating any of them should go, I'm simply saying I think they are the names that could possibly go, and by implication the rest of the 22 is safe.

So, choose 2 players from the following list that you would leave out. Note that you are choosing players to go OUT, not to stay IN.

Feel free to leave comments about the why's of your choices if you wish, but let's keep any criticism as constructive as possible-i.e. by all means say I chose player 'x' over player y because i think he offers more because...... but let's not be overly personal or disparaging in our criticism (I'm not saying anyone will, but let's just keep it in mind).

Note: I know we have to make 3 changes if Rookey comes back, but since that looks unlikely atm, let's leave the discussion at 2 for now. That can change if and when his situation changes.

pass, couldn't drop any of them.

some one is going to have a shit job to do. Sending Rooke overseas for treatment suggests he isn't 100% out yet (must be 98% though ...)

Is this assuming Hawkins comes back in and is in good form.

Would anyone leave out Hawkins?

I'm not sold on 3 tall forwards, with Blake and Ottens.

I know Bomber wouldn't but it would be interesting to know if any supporters would. Maybe I should have added that option to the poll. That said, if anyone omits Blake it's obviously in order to accomodate Hawkins, so I suppose the option is there by implication.

Anyway, carry on.

Poor Shannon Byrnes - plays a shocker against the hawks and he is, again, the maligned one.

Shagga's rankings;

goals; 3rd
marks; 8th
tackles; 7th
disposals; 10th
i50; 7th
marks i50; 4th
goal assists; 4th

why all the hate? the figures suggest he is more valuable than trav or matty, but they get all the love for some reason.

after his 4th qtr in the GF he is absolutely in my best in big games.

Shagga's rankings;

goals; 3rd
marks; 8th
tackles; 7th
disposals; 10th
i50; 7th
marks i50; 4th
goal assists; 4th

why all the hate? the figures suggest he is more valuable than trav or matty, but they get all the love for some reason.

after his 4th qtr in the GF he is absolutely in my best in big games.

This! Won us the GF in the last qtr, so gets all the concessions from me.

But one of Stokes, Varcoe or Brynes may be unlucky.

I have to go fantasy footy style with this to remove some bias.

3 tall backs
Scarlett
Taylor
Lonergan

Mid size / attacking backs
Enright
Hunt
Wojo
Mackie

Mid/ Backs
Corey
Kelly

Core midfield
Ling
Selwood
Ottens
Blake

Lead up/tall forwards
Podsiadly
Mooney

Class forwards
Johnson
Chapman

Mid/ Forward
Ablett
Bartel

Small forwards
Varcoe
Byrnes
Stokes

That's 22.
Those missing who have played this year

Hawkins
Milburn
T. hunt
Hogan
Duncan
West
Gamble
Motlop
Rooke
Simpson

^^^^

I like the list! Nice one - it's good to see it all laid out like that.

In the past we've had a forward who usually misses out, but with Harely leaving and then having two defenders come back (Lonergan and Hunt) we now genuinely may have a defence selection dilemma, as well as a forward one.

It'll do my head in if Rooke actually does come back and is in good form.

I like the time and effort you've put into doing it that way VC. Among other things, it does stand out to me that we probably have one defender more than we need, and the question will probably be which one of them goes.

Would be pretty controversial leaving Dasher out. Although he's not getting any quicker (never been quick though anyway) he has a great footy brain and is so steady in finals. I remember him in last years qualifying final against the bulldogs; him and Enright just dominated from half back most of the day.

I would be a touch nervous leaving him out. Having said that whoever misses is going to be very very unlucky.

impossible call. i would like to wager that any of those listed would be best 22 at most (if not all) other clubs. lonergan, solid. blake, solid, dependable and getting better every week. pods, hands like glue, when he is on he is one of the best forwards going around. as for the three small forwards? each one brings something great to the team. the selection must come down to conditions, opponent, attitude and form carried into the final.

impossible to make a claim on who should be left out without the factors listed above known. guaranteed whoever runs out in the finals (hopefully every week bar week 2) will want to win and deserves to be there. couldnt be prouder of every player who has run out for a game this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless we play a team with a plethora of tall forwards then I unfortunately think that Lonergan is the one to go. Both Mackie and Milburn can play tall if required. We also have plenty of mid sized defenders in Enright, Hunt and Kelly. Well catered for still here.

I think it is more important for us to include an extra "quick" particularly as this group is getting older. I would take the 3 small forwards in Byrnes, Stokes and Varcoe (though Varcoe plays more wing/HF these days). With SJ, Mooney and Pods that is a formidable forward structure.

In my opinion we look a more balanced, mobile team this way. Sorry Lonners.

Unless we play a team with a plethora of tall forwards then I unfortunately think that Lonergan is the one to go. Both Mackie and Milburn can play tall if required. We also have plenty of mid sized defenders in Enright, Hunt and Kelly. Well catered for still here.

I think it is more important for us to include an extra "quick" particularly as this group is getting older. I would take the 3 small forwards in Byrnes, Stokes and Varcoe (though Varcoe plays more wing/HF these days). With SJ, Mooney and Pods that is a formidable forward structure.

In my opinion we look a more balanced, mobile team this way. Sorry Lonners.

Definitely depends on who we play. Lonners would almost certainly miss if we played the Bulldogs but no so with the Hawks.

Definitely depends on who we play. Lonners would almost certainly miss if we played the Bulldogs but no so with the Hawks.

Agreed. Lonergan played pretty well after quarter time against Roughead. It allowed both Taylor and Scarlett to double team Buddy which worked as well as can be expected.

Seeing we are more likely to face the pies and saints than the hawks how would you structure up here?

Can't believe that Lonergan has more votes then Mackie. Lonergan has been arguable our second best defender this year (after Taylor.) Mackie should be dropped ages before him, if any get turfed out at all.

Would be pretty controversial leaving Dasher out. Although he's not getting any quicker (never been quick though anyway) he has a great footy brain and is so steady in finals. I remember him in last years qualifying final against the bulldogs; him and Enright just dominated from half back most of the day.

I would be a touch nervous leaving him out. Having said that whoever misses is going to be very very unlucky.
IF he can control his STUPID MOUTH

Interesting discussion, the good news is that we have a tough run in to sort out form and structures against good teams. The main thing to sort out is the forward line.

My initial feeling is that Bomber wants to try Mooney, Podsiadly and Hawkins in the side (in addition to the two ruckmen (Blake, Ottens) . He plans to offset this top heavy structure by having the 3 speedsters, Brynes, Varcoe and Stokes chasing and harrassing. Will it work? I don't think the 6 can fit when you have to consider Steve Johnson has to play, and Chapman and Ablett must rest up forward.

One of Hawkins or Podsiadly will be squeezed out. Hawkins is coming from a long way back and would need a huge end to the season to have a spot in the best 22 but Bomber will give him every chance as he is the up and comer.

No way Blake will be dropped.

Have a feeling lonergan will play all year and be the hard luck story, which would sadden me, but if its for the good of the side, what can you do..

My Best (assuming rooke doesnt come back)

Hunt-Scarlett-Mackie
Enright-Taylor-kelly

Bartel-Selwood-Corey
Ottens-Ablett-Ling

Chapman-Hawkins-SJ
Pods-Mooney-Varcoe

Blake, Wojak, Milburne, ...

and its down to byrnes or stokes for the last spot again.... if were fully fit.

if Rooke is fit on top of that, then i have no idea who else misses, i dont think you can drop stokes and byrnes can you?? too much pressure on varcoe to be our only "small" crumbing forward, as it subtracts a lot of pace up forward from the bench which is important..I realise SJ and chappy are world class crumbers, but if byrnes and stokes both dont play we lose alot of pace..

Maybe Blake misses again and hawkins acts as back up, although i would hate that as blakes tap work to ablett, sel and jimmy is just about the best in the league behind sandilands, giving our midfield stars first use, which is huge especially in a lock down game potentially against the saints..i think blake is needed this year..

wow if we get fit a big tough decision is coming

Can't believe that Lonergan has more votes then Mackie. Lonergan has been arguable our second best defender this year (after Taylor.) Mackie should be dropped ages before him, if any get turfed out at all.

I am surprised by this too but I this is one of the reasons I wanted to put it out there to see what people think.

I am guessing most of those who voted Lonners did so on the basis that we will have finals opponents where they think we'll only need 2 tall backs, because on form he's in, so only on structure could he be out.

brynes and blake for me... hawkins and ottens are fine in the ruck and stokes/varcoe combo is much more consistent in the forward line... shannon will bob up from time to time and play a good game but not every week.

almost tipped milburn but i just can't do it he has been a great player for a long time and deserves his chance in this years finals series. Can't leave lonergan out from the back line and wojo has been very important for us this year with his run.

j-pod.. well he has played poorly away from skilled but still back him to get some goals before rd 22 away from skilled. U think it was just the games that were played and the weather that conmbined for his low totals away from skilled.

With Ottens fit and firing plus Hawkins playing like he was before injury I would have Blake come out. Next unfortunately I would have to say Milburn. Last week he really disappointed me. Is close between he and Mackie though but Mack is offering a little more and is less likely to give the other team an easy goal from mouthing off to the umps.

In
Corey
Johnson
Mooney
Hawkins

Out
Hogan
Duncan
Mackie
Blake

Best squad we can get right there. Rooke is an iffy one; probably wont be ready again this year. If it hasn't come back by round 18 probably should put him on hold till next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

The best 22

Back