Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I've gone to the dark side here. I was a fan and couldn't see what the criticism was needed for. I now see it. He should be on thin ice but Scotty clearly rates him so he's unlikely to be dropped, I'm afraid.

If we insist on playing him, play him anywhere other than the midfield.

Was he shit again? Shame because there were 4 games or so over his career when I thought he was brilliant. Maybe we should keep resigning him

It is interesting every team has an average player who the coach loves and keeps playing. Nathan broad is ours. Don’t know what Hardwick sees in him. Regarding Guthrie I still think back to the 2013 prelim final and thought he was destined for great things after the way he played that night. He has done next to nothing since then though

I feel like I've gone to the dark side here. I was a fan and couldn't see what the criticism was needed for. I now see it. He should be on thin ice but Scotty clearly rates him so he's unlikely to be dropped, I'm afraid.

If we insist on playing him, play him anywhere other than the midfield.

I was a huge fan. His 2013 finals series was brilliant. And he has played good games in the midfield - he helped turn the 2016 Qualifying Final.

I noticed him around the contest a lot. But 11 touches is nowhere near enough for a midfielder.

I was a huge fan. His 2013 finals series was brilliant. And he has played good games in the midfield - he helped turn the 2016 Qualifying Final.

I noticed him around the contest a lot. But 11 touches is nowhere near enough for a midfielder.

Totally agree. His best has been quite good but unfortunately we seldom see it. For a 150+ game player he just doesn't impact games the way he should be. Certainly not consistently enough anyway. When he's bad, he's really bad. If he doesn't play well in the finals, the club should consider moving him on. We need our senior players standing up and leading by example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Guth Bingo.
He probably wasn't our worst
He had a niggle
He had no pre-season
He looked like he might of tagged that guy who only had 25 possessions
He was crap but so were half the team
He looked like he might of tagged that guy who only kicked 2 goals
Atkins was worse
I can't say for sure but someone said he was playing a role
But his brother put him in the bests
That Adelaide game a few years ago

He should go to Queensland with the rest of the ex-cats

Mcarthy, Bundy, Murda, Linc, Hornlin probably turn a few games on for gold coast.

Not the best, not the worst fits this category to a tee. Would he be sorely missed probably not!

158 games at 27 years old on track to be in rarified air 200 game club.

Honestly, don't mind him in the best 22 I would probably lose the spread of guthrie 😂😂😂😂 and play constable personally.

What shits me is he is a love child of the match commitee. How do I know this he was a restricted free agent which means he was in the top 25% of paid players on his last contract at geelong. No offers were coming from outside

So in my eyes he is a bit of a list clogger.

Was paid in a manner for sharp improvement that never came with lots of games. Now he can be handy on his day but you would flipping hope so with 158 Guernsey to your name.

To go back to the original plot of this cam guthie is suited to 6-6-6 thred name proven to be absolute bullshit

End rant

He should go to Queensland with the rest of the ex-cats

Mcarthy, Bundy, Murda, Linc, Hornlin probably turn a few games on for gold coast.

Not the best, not the worst fits this category to a tee. Would he be sorely missed probably not!

158 games at 27 years old on track to be in rarified air 200 game club.

Honestly, don't mind him in the best 22 I would probably lose the spread of guthrie 😂😂😂😂 and play constable personally.

What s**ts me is he is a love child of the match commitee. How do I know this he was a restricted free agent which means he was in the top 25% of paid players on his last contract at geelong. No offers were coming from outside

So in my eyes he is a bit of a list clogger.

Was paid in a manner for sharp improvement that never came with lots of games. Now he can be handy on his day but you would f*n hope so with 158 Guernsey to your name.

To go back to the original plot of this cam guthie is suited to 6-6-6 thred name proven to be absolute bulls**t

End rant
Gold Coast would be the only other team in the comp that he would get a game in the midfield. I don’t think they’d even want him though.

What s**ts me is he is a love child of the match commitee. How do I know this he was a restricted free agent which means he was in the top 25% of paid players on his last contract at geelong. No offers were coming from outside

The part about him being a RFA last year actually doesn't surprise me too much when you look at our playing list. Being paid in the top 25% at the club, that's the top 9 or 10 players, so he could easily have been the 10th highest paid player at the club.

His previous contract extention was August 2015 when he signed a 3-year deal & that year he finished 5th in the clubs b&f - so signed an extension at the right time and when he was in good form.

Look at our playing list from last year and there's probably 6 that you would be pretty confident to say were on a higher salary than Guthrie: Blicavs, Danger, Duncan, Hawkins, J. Selwood, & Taylor

It's then a case of where does he fit in amongst the group of: Ablett (reportedly took a pay cut when he returned), Henderson, Menegola, S. Selwood, Smith, Stanley & Tuohy.

If he was in the top 5 paid players at the club I would have been taken back, but if he was say the 10th highest paid player last year, I'm not as surprised when you consider all things

Last year's playing list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Geelong_Football_Club_season#cite_note-stats-31

The part about him being a RFA last year actually doesn't surprise me too much when you look at our playing list. Being paid in the top 25% at the club, that's the top 9 or 10 players, so he could easily have been the 10th highest paid player at the club.

His previous contract extention was August 2015 when he signed a 3-year deal & that year he finished 5th in the clubs b&f - so signed an extension at the right time and when he was in good form.

Look at our playing list from last year and there's probably 6 that you would be pretty confident to say were on a higher salary than Guthrie: Blicavs, Danger, Duncan, Hawkins, J. Selwood, & Taylor

It's then a case of where does he fit in amongst the group of: Ablett (reportedly took a pay cut when he returned), Henderson, Menegola, S. Selwood, Smith, Stanley & Tuohy.

If he was in the top 5 paid players at the club I would have been taken back, but if he was say the 10th highest paid player last year, I'm not as surprised when you consider all things

Last year's playing list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Geelong_Football_Club_season#cite_note-stats-31

That would be the definition of a club love child paid on potential and doesn't deliver and gets another 3 years on top.

So in 2015 when he signed his deal it's very plausible he was in the top 5 highest paid players at the club?

Because of the way the veterans list works ?

That would be the definition of a club love child paid on potential and doesn't deliver and gets another 3 years on top.

So in 2015 when he signed his deal it's very plausible he was in the top 5 highest paid players at the club?

Because of the way the veterans list works ?

Not necessarily - Guthrie was signed in the August of 2015 , at that stage you would expect that the club would have been aware of their target for that off-season & the salary cap space required. We traded for Danger, Smith & Henderson while Scooter was a FA - we know that Danger was on the highest salary of those players, but not sure if it was every published what the others signed for (or if it was just speculated). This is taken from the 2015 article when he re-signed, so we still had others to sign"

Guthrie is one of a slew of Cats to sign new contracts with the club over the past month, joining Tom Hawkins, Darcy Lang and Jackson Thurlow in committing to Chris Scott's next era.
Stars such as Steven Motlop, Steve Johnson and Jimmy Bartel remain uncontracted for next year.

In 2016 we still had the following players on our list: Bartel, Caddy, Enright, Lonergan, Mackie & Motlop, then add in Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor & the 4 new recruit. Not sure how many of those Guthrie would necessarily have been getting pain more than.

The following is pure speculation but maybe the contract was back-ended which he is why he was pushed in the top 25% (say 10th highest) last year, but over the first 2-years of the contract he was lower in the pecking order - clubs may have looked at that as an option when discussing contracts for players approaching FA, because at least if the player is a RFA the club can potential show some power in forcing a trade. So it's not unreasonable to suggest that Guthrie's last contract may have been around $1.1 million over 3-year, averaging out to a bit more than the ave salary. It may have been broken down as years 1 & 2 are $300k each, with an increase to $500k in the final year. So that doesn't necessarily mean top 25% each year of his contract, just the final year of it & hence RFA. I don't know what he earned either per year or in total for his last contract, just speculating on ways he could have found himself as a RFA last year.

For reference, last year the average salary was just over $363k

And in terms of the veterans list - this is how it did work in 2016 and from what I can tell we had between 2 & 4 veterans (we weren't listed as a team with 1 or 5): Under previous TPP rules, clubs were able to pay $118,000 outside of the salary cap to an unlimited number of eligible players as an incentive to keep older players on their list. And as the veterans rule no longer exists, not sure it has much impact on determining the top 25% in the salary cap

Not necessarily - Guthrie was signed in the August of 2015 , at that stage you would expect that the club would have been aware of their target for that off-season & the salary cap space required. We traded for Danger, Smith & Henderson while Scooter was a FA - we know that Danger was on the highest salary of those players, but not sure if it was every published what the others signed for (or if it was just speculated). This is taken from the 2015 article when he re-signed, so we still had others to sign"

In 2016 we still had the following players on our list: Bartel, Caddy, Enright, Lonergan, Mackie & Motlop, then add in Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor & the 4 new recruit. Not sure how many of those Guthrie would necessarily have been getting pain more than.

The following is pure speculation but maybe the contract was back-ended which he is why he was pushed in the top 25% (say 10th highest) last year, but over the first 2-years of the contract he was lower in the pecking order - clubs may have looked at that as an option when discussing contracts for players approaching FA, because at least if the player is a RFA the club can potential show some power in forcing a trade. So it's not unreasonable to suggest that Guthrie's last contract may have been around $1.1 million over 3-year, averaging out to a bit more than the ave salary. It may have been broken down as years 1 & 2 are $300k each, with an increase to $500k in the final year. So that doesn't necessarily mean top 25% each year of his contract, just the final year of it & hence RFA. I don't know what he earned either per year or in total for his last contract, just speculating on ways he could have found himself as a RFA last year.

For reference, last year the average salary was just over $363k

And in terms of the veterans list - this is how it did work in 2016 and from what I can tell we had between 2 & 4 veterans (we weren't listed as a team with 1 or 5): Under previous TPP rules, clubs were able to pay $118,000 outside of the salary cap to an unlimited number of eligible players as an incentive to keep older players on their list. And as the veterans rule no longer exists, not sure it has much impact on determining the top 25% in the salary cap

Salary cap increased to 12.45million up from 10.37 in 2017

But even before you have said your not surprised Guth was in top 25% this year but have him under average salary for 2 years Mate your numbers are very questionable
( I don't know lol)
A guy in the top 25% played for just over minimum average salary over a contract

Guthrie's last contract was 1.1 mil over 3 years hmmm? Where are you pulling these numbers from? He got offered more on the current deal he is on. He wanted 650k a season Geelong offered 500-550k. I can only assume that's because he didn't like all people want his wage to go down

First round draft picks were earning 300 plus K two years ago. I don't think your numbers are even vaguely close but that is all speculation because figures aren't released. I honestly struggle to think

Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins 800+
Duncan ( not far away )
Blicavs & Stewart resigned the latter on all Australian deal.

2e & Hendo we know came for minimum 500k the latter more most likely.

Dalhaus 500min

I suspect he was on 600 plus this season. And earned minimum 1.5m in total salary.

You went in detail to explain how the veteran list works I said clearly in 2015-2016 when 6 players were veterans so last point irrelevant

Edit. What was Taylors deal worth he signed for 5 a while back? Cannot remember when but that's guaranteed over 500k ( my mistake with Taylor resigned earlier )

Scott selwood was vice captain of west coast when he came across.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

Back