Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

By the way - did anyone notice that Cam is Mr September in the official Geelong calendar this year?
I joked about it last year - the club has virtually no involvement in the AFL calendars and I know the calendars are released around September/October each year; before the trade period

There's been a weird thing with Geelong where for a few seasons there, whoever was 'Mr September' actually left the club during this trade period. Last year broke that streak

That singular performance doesn't prove anyone right or wrong just yet.

You're right nobody gets their opinion disproven over one game. Unless they picked our one player who consistently performs better in finals than home and away and decided to claim he'd be a liability come finals. But nobody would've been that dumb surely.

I've said it before if this bloke's at the center bounces or stoppages in September we won't win a final.

I agree with Guthrie on a wing if it's 15 rows back.There is no where to hide in finals.

Guthrie gets regular games due to consistent poor performances and patterns of on-field actions not conducive to finals success. Pretty easy, I would think.

Oh...

You're right nobody gets their opinion disproven over one game. Unless they picked our one player who consistently performs better in finals than home and away and decided to claim he'd be a liability come finals. But nobody would've been that dumb surely.

Oh...
So it's one good finals game versus a multitude of poor ones. Sort of like his career overall.

Some real clueless folk around here.
Got to play Duncan’s role and done what he is capable of. Quality footballer.
Hopefully they allow him to create and play that role again. Need to stop Dusty with someone else.

was quieter for sure, no argument.

his earlier efforts put us in a good position imo.

where do you see him moving forward??

I'd rather retain Kelly than Guthrie, but things are rarely that simple

He faded badly, and was no Robinson Crusoe, but this time last week he was being lauded after playing a good game in the last god knows how many.

Kelly is far better, but he's gone.

I wouldn't be fussed if he joined an exodus of players who have shown they're at the end, or simply bog average

his earlier efforts put us in a good position imo.

Yeah, when the side had Richmond under pressure. When it really got hard, Guthrie totally disappeared.

According to Champion data only 1 player in the Geelong side scored less than Guthrie, which was Bews. Guthrie did a couple of flashy things early, then plodded for 3 quarters. Useless, no impact at all. Did I see you had him in the bests for Geelong? Lol, can I have some of what you're on right now?

He showed that last week was the exception not the rule. Right place at the right time a lot of the time.

Poor year. Still a passenger player, the type the club needs less of.

He faded badly, and was no Robinson Crusoe, but this time last week he was being lauded after playing a good game in the last god knows how many.

Until last week, his supporters refered to that game in Adelaide in 2016 where he was BOG, literally the only time I believe he's been BOG.

Now they can use last week's West Coast game for the next 3 years. There you go, he's played at least 2 arguable BOG performances as a midfielder in 80 or so games. Wow.

Yeah, when the side had Richmond under pressure. When it really got hard, Guthrie totally disappeared.

According to Champion data only 1 player in the Geelong side scored less than Guthrie, which was Bews. Guthrie did a couple of flashy things early, then plodded for 3 quarters. Useless, no impact at all. Did I see you had him in the bests for Geelong? Lol, can I have some of what you're on right now?

He showed that last week was the exception not the rule. Right place at the right time a lot of the time.

Poor year. Still a passenger player, the type the club needs less of.

Overall one of our best finals players in 2019.
Agree his 2019 H&A season was pretty pedestrian, but it is churlish to suggest that he wasn't one of our best come the pointy end.
Where does that leave Jonathan Richman moving forward? I don't know ... but he was ok tonight; obviously the 1st half exceeded the 2nd half. Still; a prime mover.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love him or hate him Guthrie was great last week and was good early in this game. He's not the problem

Consistent contribution is a problem.

Relentless effort over the duration of 4 quarters (defensively especially) is a problem.

He sucks at both. Yes, not mildly, he's very poor at both.

Guthrie is a senior player, he plays like a < 50 game player, or worse. He performs when the wind is right. He needs to start setting standards.

Even now, people are excusing him because he had influence for a quarter... so what? He's in it for 25% of the game? He was the second lowest Champion scorer in the team last night, as a senior player who spent time in the midfield. Inexcusable.

Yeah, he performed against West Coast, a game our side controlled for the majority. His only game since 2016 where you could genuinely say he was arguably BOG.

Spud. Representative of this side and Chris Scott - flashy, soft, looks good in the right circumstances but ultimately not hard enough, don't want it bad enough and will never get there.

I feel for Dangerfield having to walk out there week after week with the likes of Guthrie and many, many others.

I thought his start to the game was superb, with Duncan and Clark out he became very important to us. So many of our players had a poor second half last night, but guthrie was by far the most quiet.

Not sure of the stats but he couldnt have had more than 4 disposals in the second half, I can’t even remember seeing him! Pretty disappointing after such a great game last week, I certainly wouldn’t be trading him though.

I thought his start to the game was superb, with Duncan and Clark out he became very important to us. So many of our players had a poor second half last night, but guthrie was by far the most quiet.

Not sure of the stats but he couldnt have had more than 4 disposals in the second half, I can’t even remember seeing him! Pretty disappointing after such a great game last week, I certainly wouldn’t be trading him though.
I would some poor bastard might just pay overs on the back of that West Coast game.

The opposition got on top, that's why. Geelong controlled the game V West Coast, Guthrie had no attention and plenty of space.

It got hard in the second half. Cam likes it soft.

Until last week, his supporters refered to that game in Adelaide in 2016 where he was BOG, literally the only time I believe he's been BOG.

Now they can use last week's West Coast game for the next 3 years. There you go, he's played at least 2 arguable BOG performances as a midfielder in 80 or so games. Wow.

It's the Blicavs effect. If you dare question his ability (or complete lack of it) as a ruckman or midfielder you'll be reminded of his amazing tagging job on Scott Pendlebury. Once.

Last edited:
Love him or hate him Guthrie was great last week and was good early in this game. He's not the problem

Yes and no. The last two weeks, you're right. He did play a brilliant game last week and was good for a half last night.

But, over the course of his career, he's become a frustrating and underperforming player. Is he a gun midfielder? No. He should be; he's played 161 games and is 27 years of age - his football prime. He really does need to produce many more games like last week. There has been too much treading water.

Excellent first half. Unsighted second half after Danger told him to piss off out of the centre square and go forward. Better to lose with the danger show on full display than win as a team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

Back