The Charles Cameron Apology Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I for one voiced my opinion that he should stay in the team despite his average performances of late but only because I don't believe there was anyone in the 2's that would perform any better. I believed at some stage he would find some form but to what he did in a PF on the big stage like that was awesome. Well done Charlie

At least can we all agree to not say a second rounder would be his worth in the trade threads now?

I don't think he is leaving, the banter with Eddie and other players made me think that a deal has been done and will be announced post GF. He looks like a weight is off his shoulders.

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

No apologies required here. Have always loved what he brings to the team in terms of pressure he applies. A huge cog in the machine for us. The fact he hit the scoreboard in a big way is a huge bonus, but we shouldn't expect it to this extent.

When he is shutting down space and forcing rushed opposition exits from defence he is doing his job. There's a reason why we're #1 for scoring from turnovers. Because Betts, Cameron and Gov put so much pressure on the opposition defence that their exits are often rushed.

Doesnt this:

One game doesn't atone his many poor past performances (especially this season)

Contradict this:

If he can kick four in a winning GF that's a different story.

Its not just one game, its 2 out of the last 3 finals. Was our best against Sydney and arguably our best against Geelong. Two massive games against two massive clubs. Performances in finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> home and away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More to forward pressure than tackles , that's just picking a small part of it

Charlie is still one of the best pressure appliers in the comp and another week off and his body will be fresh

He's ready to fire in the prelim and compared to some others has the game to do so

More than happy to leave this here , my pleasure

As Bomber Thompson once said - you should be ashamed of yourselves , you people !!!

Thanks for your support DABM and Pallidan

Bringing the "heat" is good... but the "explosive offensive game" just wasn't working - until last night.
I think you're wanting Leigh Matthews - the only small forward in the history of the game who has been consistent

We have a beauty in Charlie , don't judge him like he's an accumulator , he's not

he's a match winner on occasion but an important role playing pressure forward otherwise and one of the best in the business

We wouldn't be having this conversation if he contributed anywhere near as often as Betts or Greene.

His explosive offensive game was usually a bonus for the opposition, because it inevitably resulted in a turnover. There's no point in burning off your opponent and kicking the ball long, if you're just going to kick it straight to an opposition player anyway. On Friday night he actually hit targets after lighting the afterburners - the first time in a very long time we've seen him do this.
I wouldn't be getting on my high horse if you wanted him dropped

Best to keep quiet on the matter and show a bit of modesty after getting it so wrong

Could have cost us the game

I think you're wanting Leigh Matthews - the only small forward in the history of the game who has been consistent

We have a beauty in Charlie , don't judge him like he's an accumulator , he's not

he's a match winner on occasion but an important role playing pressure forward otherwise and one of the best in the business
I expect him to contribute for more than one quarter every four games. That's not Leigh Matthews, it's not even Eddie Betts.

As I said, the first 2 were very good, the next 4 pretty solid, and then bleurgh except for two games against the easy beat Brisbane and Freo.

CC thus far has very much been a teaser player - we always want more consistency than he gives us because while he is not McLeod, he is one of the few who can do a damn good impression when things click.

Maybe he is one who does take a bit more than 50 games? (hope not if he is off to the Lions - and my gut feeling is he will regress there)

Also good to recall he was one of the few who stood up last year in the final against Sydney. But I don't think we owe him an apology - the criticism of him began when he began playing poorly and that he has far too many frustrating games where you think he's thisclose to doing something special, but doesn't. The final against GWS was a eprfect case in point:

Here's a smattering of the GBU thread;
Bad: Cameron tries but geez.
Bad: Jenkins and Cameron can be frustrating so close but so far at times
Bad: Cameron: An ok game overall (excellent pressure!), but so many "nearly" moments. Frustrating
Bad: Cc although he put some good pressure early
Worst: I'll be the one to say it --- Cameron is a liability.
Good: - Charlie's intensity at the contest and speed.
Bad: - Charlie's disposal

Loved his game on Friday. But that's the standard I think many of him have been judging him by - that is what we've been wanting. Too harsh? Maybe, but I don't think anyone here thinks he should be judged by the standards of a depth player.
He's a pressure small forward not an accumulator

It's like saying Cyril is no good because he's not as consistent as Sam Mitchell

Their needs to be an allowance for his role which is mainly as a pressure forward , some days he will be an offensive match winner as well

The good thing is he's better the bigger the stakes and the faster and harder the game

I wouldn't be getting on my high horse if you wanted him dropped

Best to keep quiet on the matter and show a bit of modesty after getting it so wrong

Could have cost us the game
He should have been dropped on form. Fortunately for him, there were no viable replacements waiting in the SANFL, and I acknowledged this regularly. His performance on Friday was a massive contrast with everything he'd produced for the previous 3-4 months.

I expect him to contribute for more than one quarter every four games. That's not Leigh Matthews, it's not even Eddie Betts.
You would have dropped him and he was the best player on the ground and a match winner !!!!!

And he plays well , it's just you don't see it because you don't understand his role

He's not there to do what matt crouch does

You can't have 22 of him just as you can't have 22 matt Crouches

He should have been dropped on form. Fortunately for him, there were no viable replacements waiting in the SANFL, and I acknowledged this regularly. His performance on Friday was a massive contrast with everything he'd produced for the previous 3-4 months.
And yet you couldn't see it coming because you don't know what your looking at

He's a pressure small forward not an accumulator

It's like saying Cyril is no good because he's not as consistent as Sam Mitchell

Their needs to be an allowance for his role which is mainly as a pressure forward , some days he will be an offensive match winner as well

The good thing is he's better the bigger the stakes and the faster and harder the game
No.. it's not. I expect him to display a similar degree of consistency as players like Cyril & Betts. The only reason we're even having this conversation is because he's not in the same postcode as those players when it comes to consistency.

One good quarter for every four games played is not good enough, not even by the lower standards of the small forward.

You would have dropped him and he was the best player on the ground and a match winner !!!!!

And he plays well , it's just you don't see it because you don't understand his role

He's not there to do what matt crouch does

You can't have 22 of him just as you can't have 22 matt Crouches
Stop creating strawmen.

Charles has been toilet overall this year lets be honest.
But he has something called speed - don't know why but this thing speed tends to be important come finals.
I love you Charles. Tear that MCG up Saturday you sexy beast.

No.. it's not. I expect him to display a similar degree of consistency as players like Cyril & Betts. The only reason we're even having this conversation is because he's not in the same postcode as those players when it comes to consistency.

One good quarter for every four games played is not good enough, not even by the lower standards of the small forward.
So in his 4th season you want him to be as consistent as 2 of the best small forwards of all time

Do you want tex to be as consistent as Wayne Carey and Hartigan as David Dench as well ? Maybe McGovern as Gary Ablett SNR

Remove this Banner Ad

The Charles Cameron Apology Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back