Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Say we didn't sign him prior to the finals and he went into next year ooc while simultaneously falling out of the top 8 would you give him a mulligan and sign him up? If you signed him up would you give him one year or two?

The board decided they didn't want to play that scenario out and that they didn't want any real pressure on his position for at least two years and signed him up early. That could absolutely prove to be a mistake.
See I don't get why you would put pressure on a bloke who has the boards full backing, the players full backing and has a team in the top 4 for three consecutive years (while winning a premiership in that time).

What more does he have to do to prove he is the man for the job for the next couple of years?

See I don't get why you would put pressure on a bloke who has the boards full backing, the players full backing and has a team in the top 4 for three consecutive years (while winning a premiership in that time).

What more does he have to do to prove he is the man for the job for the next couple of years?

Tbh I'm a bit conflicted, if we didn't re-sign him and we struggled next year I'd actually be hesitant to sack him off one poor season without a very good replacement being available.

At the very least it should have been a one year extension rather than a two with how restrictive the soft cap is though.

Tbh I'm a bit conflicted, if we didn't re-sign him and we struggled next year I'd actually be hesitant to sack him off one poor season without a very good replacement being available.

At the very least it should have been a one year extension rather than a two with how restrictive the soft cap is though.
The length of his contract can be debated, that's fair

But I mean everyone is disappointed that we got knocked out but he shouldn't come under scrutiny for the next 12-24 months unless there is a staggering drop off like with the Bulldogs

0-4 in finals at the G means that in two of those 3 years we didn’t actually finish top 4. I think it’s the timing of the announcement/length of extension that is the most contentious part of it. I don’t think there are too many saying sack him.

So you are saying he should be fighting for his job but that has nothing to do with being sacked? I don't know what the hell that means then and I'm not sure that you do either tbh
Well yeah if we are 4-7 halfway through the year bombing the ball inside 50 he absolutely should be on the chopping block

0-4 in finals at the G means that in two of those 3 years we didn’t actually finish top 4. I think it’s the timing of the announcement/length of extension that is the most contentious part of it. I don’t think there are too many saying sack him.
Exactly. We didn't finish top 4. We finished bottom of the 8 back to back.

I haven't looked at the tape but I imagine with 2 minutes to go we set the field up to blast it long to the skinny side where we had amassed numbers to then put the clamps on it.

From memory Lever kicks long, Smith punches it to ground in a pack to ensure it isn't intercepted, there's a ground ball scramble that we eventually come away with through Viney who looks up and there's 2 forwards v 2 backs. He just needs to kick it to advantage boundary side and we probably hold on.

He hacks it, Blues intercept and take on 2 risky kicks across the ground that come off and open the whole ground up. They have an out number and kick the goal.
Lever kicks it way too centrally should have kicked it 10m closer to the boundary so we can get the stoppage. Viney kicks it like a moron. Rivers and Lever walk around completely ignoring acres who runs past them to the goal line. Mcvee makes a horrible decision and the rest of the team is watching the ball not Carlton's players.

Monumental effort to choke it but most of our best players contributed to it

Lever kicks it way too centrally should have kicked it 10m closer to the boundary so we can get the stoppage. Viney kicks it like a moron. Rivers and Lever walk around completely ignoring acres who runs past them to the goal line. Mcvee makes a horrible decision and the rest of the team is watching the ball not Carlton's players.

Monumental effort to choke it but most of our best players contributed to it

You'd have to ask how often we practice holding onto the ball for the last 2 minutes of a quarter given how often we concede a goal or a good scoring opportunity. Salem had a shocking clanger at end of either first or second which nearly allowed a goal too.

We did basically every possible thing wrong from Lever's mark onwards. Feel sorry for McVee because he showed much more composure for most of the game than the rest of the team but then makes a pivotal mistake not to take the body with the spoil.

For the life of me I can't work out why at least 3 more players weren't into proper position in the back half from the time Lever kicked it. Total brain fade.

But really, if they had of held on we'd be getting ready to watch them make the same mistakes all over again on Saturday.

So, I reckon we should’ve made the prelim probably the past two years but have little doubt that Geelong 22 and Brisbane 23 would’ve made absolute mincemeat of us.
Yeah don’t reckon we’re winning last year or this season (to a lesser extent) either, last season we were cooked in the second half of the season, this year the forward half injuries cost us.

That said, this side falls to pieces under pressure and our ball movement is still shithouse, so, who knows what next season holds, you’d think we’d have to make a prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the DeEs ArE tHe BeSt nuffies pretending they were on our side all along now.
I think we should have been louder about it, doubt no one noticed our view considering the humble and quiet nature of our opinions

Remember when Scythe94 said to me that he thought we were better than Brisbane coz they had a soft underbelly during the week off between the last round and finals and everyone but Topkent agreed.
Uh-uh. I said Brisbane wouldn't make it past the prelim and that they would lose to either us or Carlton. Still in with a shot ;)

All the DeEs ArE tHe BeSt nuffies pretending they were on our side all along now.
Ah yes, if there's one thing I'm known for, it's my optimism about the Melbourne Football Club

Uh-uh. I said Brisbane wouldn't make it past the prelim and that they would lose to either us or Carlton. Still in with a shot ;)

Mirror mirror on the wall who has the softest underbelly of them all?

That would be Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back