Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What now for Hawkins?

Presently, Hawkins is much more of a forward threat than Lonergnan. Yes, he'll have his off days like Sunday but he's also capable of kicking 4 against Brisbane this week. Lonergan's consistent but never, ever threatens to tear a game apart. That big pack mark Hawkins took in the final quarter v Freo last month - at a crucial time of the game, and he slotted the goal too - has Lonergan ever taken a mark like that let alone at such a critical point in a match?

Hawkins constantly had a second opponent dropping in front of him on the weekend and cutting off his leads. That's why he couldn't get near the ball and kept jumping in opponents' backs. We should have tried him up at CHF where this was less likely to happen. I also really like him marking 60-70m out and playing on quickly (even though he will occasionally slip over!)

Not with the end result, but if Hawkins puts in a performance in this years GF [ provided we get there ] like Varcoe did in last years it could potentially cost us a flag.

Yeah, but we could easily argue the same point about opposition players.

Kosi may be having a decent season, but guess how many goals he scored in total in St Kilda's two finals losses last year (v us and Hawthorn)?

A grand total of zero.

What's Stephen Milne's finals record like? How about Mitch Hahn?

Fact is, every club has players that have underperformed or are unproven in finals. Tom Hawkins is one of them, but he's not alone.

Not with the end result, but if Hawkins puts in a performance in this years GF [ provided we get there ] like Varcoe did in last years it could potentially cost us a flag.

Is the inference to be drawn there that you believe Varcoe cost us last year's flag.

If so, a load of bollocks.

As I've said elsewhere, if we are reliant on the performance of players like Hawkins or Varcoe to win us the flag, then we don't deserve to win it. We lost last years flag because key players let us down, not because fringe players did.

Is the inference to be drawn there that you believe Varcoe cost us last year's flag.

If so, a load of bollocks.

As I've said elsewhere, if we are reliant on the performance of players like Hawkins or Varcoe to win us the flag, then we don't deserve to win it. We lost last years flag because key players let us down, not because fringe players did.

i see your point. but i don't want any passengers in september

Mitch Brown broke his leg and Scotty Simpson injured his ankle (?). So unless you want to play Lonergan (and let's be serious - does anyone think he would have done any better than Hawkins on the weekend?), it's Hawkins or bust.

EDIT: Keep in mind also that Varcoe copped games under the same logic now being applied to Hawkins...can anyone say they're disappointed with the result?

Haven't you been watching Lonergan playing down back or what pal!!!! (thats when he gets a gig) And plays forward.
Varcoe hasn't totally stepped up look at his poor effort against tough opposition last week.
Hardly got a possession, a couple more than Hawkins, their both lacking in the aggression department.

Unless Lonergan has improved massively in the 2's, I wouldn't bring him back. When he was dropped he couldn't even take an uncontested mark, let alone do anything else under pressure.

Hawkins has age on his side and room to improve, Lonergan not so much. Comparatively, anyway.

And Varcoe was decent against the Saints, and prior to that has been one of our better players all season. One below par game doesn't change that.

What's the point perservering to the death? Get a brain Thompson, if the kids' a long term prospect why is he continually given a position that could cost us the flag.
At 21 he's hardly a kid anymore.
And what about the other long term prospects, where are they?

Other than all of my posts, this is the best one in the thread. Thompson is going to cost us another flag by having faith in this hack.

No one expects Hawkins to be a Brown or Tredrea, we expect him to be a contributor to a winning team. He's not having a positive influence in our team at all. Everytime he's within 5 metres of the ball you might as well put the Benny Hill music on because you know you're in for a chuckle at his inept attempt to make a play. You want Hawkins to get the ball? There's only way to get it there...aim it at his knees and let him slide into it....he likes those. The only problem then is, he'll spring his his feet with the agility of an elephant and either fall over or just plain hand it to the opposition.

Other than all of my posts, this is the best one in the thread. Thompson is going to cost us another flag by having faith in this hack.

No one expects Hawkins to be a Brown or Tredrea, we expect him to be a contributor to a winning team. He's not having a positive influence in our team at all. Everytime he's within 5 metres of the ball you might as well put the Benny Hill music on because you know you're in for a chuckle at his inept attempt to make a play. You want Hawkins to get the ball? There's only way to get it there...aim it at his knees and let him slide into it....he likes those. The only problem then is, he'll spring his his feet with the agility of an elephant and either fall over or just plain hand it to the opposition.

Broken record Renegade.........try something else.

The kid is the future, getting games into him, including fitness will be great for us in the long term when our mids skill level drops off. When he has the urge, he can play very well.

Unless Lonergan has improved massively in the 2's, I wouldn't bring him back. When he was dropped he couldn't even take an uncontested mark, let alone do anything else under pressure.

Hawkins has age on his side and room to improve, Lonergan not so much. Comparatively, anyway.

And Varcoe was decent against the Saints, and prior to that has been one of our better players all season. One below par game doesn't change that.

Mate check the stats before you carry on. Varcoe's are poor and Hawkins are hopeless, Lonergans' solid perfomances have not been rewarded.
His performances in the 2's have been outstanding.

Broken record Renegade.........try something else.

The kid is the future, getting games into him, including fitness will be great for us in the long term when our mids skill level drops off. When he has the urge, he can play very well.

He's the future....based on what exactly?
He bullied kids half his size when he was 17?

He's the future....based on what exactly?
He bullied kids half his size when he was 17?

So how did JB or similar players go early in their careers?

Give the kid a break, he didn't come through the normal recruiting pattern (i.e. Geelong U/18) therefore was less structured. Was thrown into the deep end against some good opposition in first year and did ok.

Last year had a very serious foot problem which hampered his fitness significantly. Brought back in as a pinch hitter late in the season; where he suffered because of it.

Stress (weakness in his foot - blood pools) fractures again reared late last year, meaning the whole of December and early Jan in a moon boot.

FFS, what do you expect him to be? Maybe it's your perception of what he is supposed to be, and what you think we need at the club.

Guess what, both of those are misplaced. Secondly, we don't have the quality in draft picks to pick another FF like him. Lastly, your message from page one right thoughout the 25-odd pages is so boring.

Get over it. He's in.

Mate check the stats before you carry on. Varcoe's are poor and Hawkins are hopeless, Lonergans' solid perfomances have not been rewarded.

Meto, are you Lonergan's dad? Virtually everything post is an excuse to advocate his merits, irrespective of whether the discussion even concerns him...

Hence why I said 'unless he has improved massively in the 2's'. Judging by his performances in the senior team, he's not up to it. But if, as you say he's been outstanding then sure, give him another go.

BTW, stats aren't the be all and end all. Ablett can have little influence on a game with 30 - 35 touches. Back in the day stats meant something, not so much now. If you were to ask the board right now their opinion on Varcoe this season, the majority will tell you he's improved massively, and played well for most of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't you been watching Lonergan playing down back or what pal!!!! (thats when he gets a gig) And plays forward.
What a bizarre post. Yeah, I have seen Lonergan down back and I rate him as a backman. But Hawkins doesn't play down back, does he? He plays in the forward line, and we spent a whole season last year watching Lonergan go missing up forward in tough games.

Varcoe hasn't totally stepped up look at his poor effort against tough opposition last week.
Hardly got a possession, a couple more than Hawkins, their both lacking in the aggression department.
If by 'couple more' you mean tripled, then yeah. And he scored a goal. And he had two goal assists. He didn't dominate but it wasn't a poor game for a bloke playing in a pocket/flank either.

meto, you've been proven wrong about Varcoe. Give it up.

He had a quiet-ish game at the weekend and still contributed.

I think it's funny how you are picking on thompson about selecting hawkins when it was lonergan that wasn't sighted all day in the grand final. the only way he gets goal is the "lonergan special" recieve handball over the top while running into an open goal. lol remembering the balls bouncing off his chest when trying to mark

Of course he didn't, and that's not what I was inferring.

The point was simply that if we perservere with Hawkins, as we did with Varcoe, and he proves not up to it, as Varcoe wasn't, it could be very costly.

That was one of the reasons [ of many ] but you need your bottom tier at least contributing.

I think it's funny how you are picking on thompson about selecting hawkins when it was lonergan that wasn't sighted all day in the grand final. the only way he gets goal is the "lonergan special" recieve handball over the top while running into an open goal. lol remembering the balls bouncing off his chest when trying to mark

Lonergan deserved his spot. The hack that day, and for a month leading into that day was Stokes.

Look Hawkins just took a mark!
What did he do? Played on and got tackled immediately...IDIOT!
Then Merrett ploughs him like a rag doll on the next possession ...pathetic.

Nice goal from the boundry Tommy:)
A quality set shot player would have missed that. Just shows where he should be hiding, right there in the pocket. Where his garbage kicks might do something. Why is he celebrating like we've won the flag? We're getting hammered...all about himself.

A quality set shot player would have missed that. Just shows where he should be hiding, right there in the pocket. Where his garbage kicks might do something. Why is he celebrating like we've won the flag? We're getting hammered...all about himself.

your a fool

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back