Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What now for Hawkins?

I haven't bothered reading the 10 pages that this thread has generated but it is amusing that last year Lonergan was the dud forward who a number of posters wanted out of the side. Lonners replacement = Hawkins.

Now Hawkins is in and has had a poor 2 weeks and people are calling for him to be dropped.

Which begs the question - who replaces Hawkins in the side?

Gamble - not a key forward - although I can see him as a quick FF type.

Lonergan - Did OK in 2008 but a number of people didn't want him in last year. If you listen to some he was one of the main reasons Geelong lost the GF. So now people want him back?? Plays his best footy in defence for mine.

Scott Simpson - injured. Hasn't really shown anything anyway.

Mitch Brown - gone for the year with a busted leg.

Of the defenders, only Taylor looks like he could play forward. Needed down back though. Milburn maybe? Of course, he isn't a key forward either and, like Taylor, is still needed down back.

Ottens injured and plays best in ruck regardless.

Mumford, West or Blake?? First two might be able to pinch hit but they aren't really forwards.

So, kind of makes life hard to dump him I would have thought, regardless of his less than spectactular two weeks. Of course, one of those weeks saw him matched up against a pretty handy defender.

I feel Geelong needs to keep playing him.

Do you actually think Lonners is a better option though Renegade? He had a season and a bit in the side and didnt exactly light the world on fire. Not only that but in big games, i.e. last years finals series he was bloody terrible (really bad in the GF).

So again we come down to bagging a player when there is not much of an alternative. We could put Lonners in but his best is only marginally better than what we are getting from Hawkins now. I would like to see us persist with Hawkins a bit longer.
I was using Lonners as just one example of who should be in the side ahead of Hawkins. Gamble is streets ahead of Hawkins and is clearly more valuable.
People making excuses for him saying 'oh he's only 20, he still has to develop', there's a reason we have a VFL side!

I was using Lonners as just one example of who should be in the side ahead of Hawkins. Gamble is streets ahead of Hawkins and is clearly more valuable.
People making excuses for him saying 'oh he's only 20, he still has to develop', there's a reason we have a VFL side!

gamble is not a KPP player and lonners has had is time there.Clearly you have something in your eye when you watch the footy or you a spoiled watching this great team having a record breaking run.

gamble is not a KPP player and lonners has had is time there.Clearly you have something in your eye when you watch the footy or you a spoiled watching this great team having a record breaking run.

Nicely put.

Must admit I didn't read all of the thread - apologies if this is a repeat of what someone else has said.

I think that VFL doesn't really do much in preparing young key forwards, just because the backlines in virtually every VFL side are so poor.

I was listening to Craig Harper and John Quinn on the Good Oil the other day. There view was that Tomahawk's body was two years away from being mature and that it would be 24 or 25 before he peaked. They also observed that he was still improving (albeit in fits and starts, as you'd expect) and that expectations of him were way, way too high.

Nicely put.

Must admit I didn't read all of the thread - apologies if this is a repeat of what someone else has said.

I think that VFL doesn't really do much in preparing young key forwards, just because the backlines in virtually every VFL side are so poor.

I was listening to Craig Harper and John Quinn on the Good Oil the other day. There view was that Tomahawk's body was two years away from being mature and that it would be 24 or 25 before he peaked. They also observed that he was still improving (albeit in fits and starts, as you'd expect) and that expectations of him were way, way too high.

big tommy probably would be better this year,but injury's have not helped him and the injury of his foot would have cause problems.no running no training on the field inc match drills/forward set up and he has only done one pre-season.So yeah in one to two years look out l dont no why people are on his case there are no KKP players from the same draft doing any thing special hawkins needs to play in the main team "good work basil"

Lonners has had his time there but Hawkins hasn't? Funny, Hawkins has played more games than Lonners...and Lonners started as a defender....and has kicked more goals than Hawkins so there goes that theory.

The fact people want to carry Hawkins despite his inability is suggesting that those people are too spoiled with our run. Wouldn't want to dominate for 3 years and have one flag to show for it because we're trying to develop a hack instead of playing better players.... that would be a real shame.

Watch him against West Coast... in the stunning event he takes a mark, watch him wheel around and try and deliver a deft little chip to one of our other forwards... then watch the comical result.

Yep he will do that at some stage. What does it mean?

Yep he will do that at some stage. What does it mean?

It means he lacks the skills to be able to pull those kinda plays off. It would be better if he went back and had a shot for goal...but then you encounter his inability to kick. But hey, at least he's a 'target' right? :rolleyes:

It means he lacks the skills to be able to pull those kinda plays off. It would be better if he went back and had a shot for goal...but then you encounter his inability to kick. But hey, at least he's a 'target' right? :rolleyes:

Did Tomahawk kick your puppy dog or something? :p

He tried, but missed.
:D I'll pay that.

Based on this asertion Lonergan should be miles ahead of Hawkins considering the games Lonners has spend "developing" in the VFL.

Lonergan was given a decent run at it last year (with some poor performances along the way) and couldn't take his opportunity. No-one could say Lonergan wasn't given a fair go, why can't Hawkins be afford the same luxury?

Struck a nerve did i princess?

Hilarious how 'oooh Hawkins doesn't get the ball delivered properly' crap is coming up. So Moondog, Stevie J, Vegas and crew get it delivered pefectly but when Tommahack leads the midfielders just lob a 'whatever' kick and hope he does something amazing?
Watch him against West Coast... in the stunning event he takes a mark, watch him wheel around and try and deliver a deft little chip to one of our other forwards... then watch the comical result.
This guy makes Kent Kingsley look like a hall of famer.

Yes you tool you struck a nerve, and that is because i detest supporters like you! Supporters who are always finding something to have a sook about, supporters that know-matter how well the team is going manage to bring up any negative they can find. I suppose you wouldnt have been happy with our 119 point grand final win in 07, you just would have wanted that little bit more to somehow bring a sense of meaning to your miserable existence! It would be intersting to know how many rants you went on about our list prior to 07...
Hawkins would wipe the floor with KK, you will be eating your words in the not to distant future... Hawkins has the talent, anyone who knows anything about footy can see this when he plays! He just needs a little more time to develop, and this development should take place in the afl so he can learn from the best! Not everyone is in the mould of joel selwood!!

Lonners has had his time there but Hawkins hasn't? Funny, Hawkins has played more games than Lonners...and Lonners started as a defender....and has kicked more goals than Hawkins so there goes that theory.

The fact people want to carry Hawkins despite his inability is suggesting that those people are too spoiled with our run. Wouldn't want to dominate for 3 years and have one flag to show for it because we're trying to develop a hack instead of playing better players.... that would be a real shame.

There are two important things you don't seem to accept.

1. Lonergan had a sustained, and more than ample crack at FF last year (15 consecutive games), and

2. he was a fully developed 24 year old at the time.

Hawkins has had neither the same opportunity, in terms of consecutive games, nor is he at the same level of physical maturity. With this in mind, what possible basis do you have to be so critical of him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the problem is he has sj/mooney/stokes all in his ear at different times telling him what he should have done or how they were "open".

i cant ever remember lonergan kicking many from contested marks or going back and having a shot from 40-50m. he got most of his goals through turnovers or spillages from packs.

Lonergan has played 2 maybe 3 games as a defender in his entire AFL career. If you want to get picky then remember Hawkins started as a fat bastard who could only play about 50 minutes game time.

Really if you look at the two the difference between their performances is negligable. The real difference is one of them in his 3rd season of AFL while the other is in his 7th.

People want to carry Hawkins because he has a future in AFL as a regular 1st 18 player, Lonergan doesn't.

the problem is he has sj/mooney/stokes all in his ear at different times telling him what he should have done or how they were "open".

i cant ever remember lonergan kicking many from contested marks or going back and having a shot from 40-50m. he got most of his goals through turnovers or spillages from packs.

He was the cheif reciepient of Mooney's assist record. Always getting the cheap handball over the top in the goals square.

Geez people, has the thought occurred that this particular poster is just jerking everyones chain as a way of amusing himself?

I highly doubt he believes half the exaggerated statements he's been making, but if it floats his boat to get his jollies in such a manner then more power to him I guess. :rolleyes:

So basically we all agree that we want the club to stick with Hawkins in the 1s and that Renegade has no ****ing idea on this topic.

/end_thread

hahaha love how precious everyone gets. It's an opinion, we're all allowed to have one. Settle down for gods sake!

Yeah I really don't get the anomosity. I don't agree with you but it's not like I feel the need to start slinging mud.

The opinion, as incorrect as it may be, could be put forward without the need to call one of our own 'Tommahack' on our own board.

But there is such thing as a wrong opinion. If I said Kent Kingsley was a better player then Gary Ablett Jnr will ever be, that is a classic example of a wrong opinion :p

However, agreed. Getting angry about a discussion on a forum where discussion is the reason for its existence is a bit strange.

I'm guessing that he smacked you in the playground once and you've never gotten over it. Pretty clear Hawkins is no hack even if he isn't yet an SJ or a Mooney. Coaching staff think he has great potential which is all that counts really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back