The Hawthorn Dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

B2B in today's modern game is equal to Collingwoods 4 challenge tainted straight.
More teams, so more competition and greater odds to succeed. Salary caps, ladder position based national drafts and various other equalisation methods. Structured fixtures designed to give better teams harder draws.
Have to win a minimum 3 to 4 games to crowned the Premier, compared with 2. Can't lose the game that would have been the grandfinal and cry about it using a dodgy challenge rule. The challenge rule was a stain on the game hence it was immediately removed following the embarrassment Collingwood made of it using it 2 times in the 4 straight.
Effectively there were only 8 teams at the time as the new teams were a joke and never received today's type of concessions to aid building a team.

Recheck your knowledge of vfl history.

How do your sums equate in the hawks zoning years success ?

Recheck your knowledge of vfl history.

How do your sums equate in the hawks zoning years success ?

Every team had zones and many were rated better than the Hawks, it's simply tall poppy syndrome. If the Hawks didn't dominate nothing would have been mentioned about their zones.
As far as Premierships go from different era's yes, it would be harder to win now than in the 80's. Not nearly as many equalisation methods as there are today, and again more teams so more competition.

Every team had zones and many were rated better than the Hawks, it's simply tall poppy syndrome. If the Hawks didn't dominate nothing would have been mentioned about their zones.
As far as Premierships go from different era's yes, it would be harder to win now than in the 80's. Not nearly as many equalisation methods as there are today, and again more teams so more competition.

Oh god you may as well support Carlton.

I say again........

I did some reading to refresh my memory, here is an extract from a VFL history publication.

" The allocation was a matter of pot luck, literally. Club names were placed in the Premiership Cup and the 12 zones in its lid, and a draw conducted. St Kilda, Carlton, Footscray and North Melbourne seem to have fared best. The zones theoretically the ‘weakest’ have gone to Geelong, South Melbourne, Hawthorn and Richmond."

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/ASSH Bulletins/No 26/ASSHBulletin26e.pdf

So basically it comes back to what I said, there were teams with better zones and had the Hawks not done so well nothing would have been mentioned about their zone. Tall poppy syndrome 101.
You should be happy, I get the feeling the Hawks are becoming the new Collingwood in been hated by many neutrals.

I know of Hawthorns zone areas, but you just vaguely described Collingwood's to down play their zone. I know some parts of Melbourne I did live around the Mornington Penisula area for 12 months some 12 years ago so I know more of the south,South East of Melbourne.

Oh FFS get a map. Far south west....warrnambool to Hamilton.

Easy to down play something that was close to worthless.

Apart from mornington peninsula (incl frankston region), bendigo (Carl) and ballarat (grossly mismanaged by stk) the rest were reliant on farmers sons wanting to leave the the farm and move to the big smoke. The majority didn't want to, and generally got paid very well to stay at home.

Find any other 23 year block in afl/vfl history where only 5 teams won the flag, and only a few more made the GF.

Carlton greed nearly destroyed the game.

I did some reading to refresh my memory, here is an extract from a VFL history publication.

" The allocation was a matter of pot luck, literally. Club names were placed in the Premiership Cup and the 12 zones in its lid, and a draw conducted. St Kilda, Carlton, Footscray and North Melbourne seem to have fared best. The zones theoretically the ‘weakest’ have gone to Geelong, South Melbourne, Hawthorn and Richmond."

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/ASSH Bulletins/No 26/ASSHBulletin26e.pdf

So basically it comes back to what I said, there were teams with better zones and had the Hawks not done so well nothing would have been mentioned about their zone. Tall poppy syndrome 101.
You should be happy, I get the feeling the Hawks are becoming the new Collingwood in been hated by many neutrals.

Pot luck. Gimme a ****ing break. Read what happened in 1971.

Apart from mornington peninsula (incl frankston region), bendigo (Carl) and ballarat (grossly mismanaged by stk) the rest were reliant on farmers sons wanting to leave the the farm and move to the big smoke. The majority didn't want to, and generally got paid very well to stay at home.

Find any other 23 year block in afl/vfl history where only 5 teams won the flag, and only a few more made the GF.

Didn't Collingwood also have Preston and Heidelberg areas? Don't think there were many farms around those areas in the 70's,80's

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Collingwood also have Preston and Heidelberg areas? Don't think there were many farms around those areas in the 80's.

Mornington was your country zone. :rolleyes:

Metro melb was carved up into metro zones.

****ing read.

1971 saw carltons vfl pres forget the 5 year zone rotation deal, meaning the good zones stayed put, as did the bad zones. Richmond and stkilda lost part of their zones (hawks got stkildas frankston).

You benefitted from carltons greed. Lucky hey.

Preston, Heidelberg areas 1970. Part of Collingwoods only farmland recruiting zone.

image.jpg

Mornington was your country zone. :rolleyes:

Metro melb was carved up into metro zones.

******* read.

1971 saw carltons vfl pres forget the 5 year zone rotation deal, meaning the good zones stayed put, as did the bad zones. Richmond and stkilda lost part of their zones (hawks got stkildas frankston).

You benefitted from carltons greed. Lucky hey.

I did read what you wrote?

Me: What zones did The Colliwobbles have?

Your response: Farming country, far south west.

Don't crap your panties because you were caught out trying to downplay Collingwoods zone.

Let it go now you lost this argument. Hawks had a zone considered weak and they made the most of it.
Classic tall poppy syndrome.

I did read what you wrote?

Me: What zones did The Colliwobbles have?

Your response: Farming country, far south west.

Don't crap your panties because you were caught out trying to downplay Collingwoods zone.

Let it go now you lost this argument. Hawks had a zone considered weak and they made the most of it.
Classic tall poppy syndrome.

Classic Carlton deflection.

Classic Carlton deflection.

Not deflecting at all, I showed evidence that the Hawks zone was considered weak. Not my fault people want to desperately find a way to cut down the tall poppy.

So are you in denial about Collingwoods zone still?

This below is your second response when asked about Collingwoods zone.

"Oh FFS get a map. Far south west....warrnambool to Hamilton.
Easy to down play something that was close to worthless."

How did Collingwood lure the young farmers sons away in Preston and Heidelberg areas? They could have agreed to use the wool from Preston/Heidelberg sheep farmers to make the teams jumpers as a bit of a sweetener for taking their kids?

History repeats often and 2015 reminded me a lot of 1991 ( Except the bit were Freo are in the comp ) The Hawks weren't the best team in the home and away but were definitely the best in the one that counted. They were also fantastic in the 80's and faded into the Richie Vandenburg years and even a few bottom 8 finishes but surely we can't win it this year like in 92 ? :D

Lets be honest here...who honestly thinks a team captained by Shannon Hurn will win a flag. Thought not...

Not deflecting at all, I showed evidence that the Hawks zone was considered weak. Not my fault people want to desperately find a way to cut down the tall poppy.

So are you in denial about Collingwoods zone still?

This below is your second response when asked about Collingwoods zone.

"Oh FFS get a map. Far south west....warrnambool to Hamilton.
Easy to down play something that was close to worthless."

How did Collingwood lure the young farmers sons away in Preston and Heidelberg areas? They could have agreed to use the wool from Preston/Heidelberg sheep farmers to make the teams jumpers as a bit of a sweetener for taking their kids?

Oh you're deflecting alright.

Granted its the bay, but you majored in bullshit. Well done.

Lets be honest here...who honestly thinks a team captained by Shannon Hurn will win a flag. Thought not...
Say Hawthorn Supporter you seem to be a very dull and boring man, would you like to be an assistant coach and Fremantle, you make me Ross Lyon look entertaining and that's some effort.

CRFObQXVEAId_76.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawthorn Dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back