Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Making the wrong decision/call is fine, mistakes happen, it is 100% unacceptable however in this situation where he placed Lynch in a vulnerable situation. He did not think of the player's well being first and foremost.

It is Adelaide though, I have learnt thats how we roll.

What will jack me off, is if he tries to double down and justify Lynch as the medical sub and not learn from his monumental f**k up.

.. did you really mean to say jack you off?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Adelaide have named injured players on the emergency list before, they have form here.

It's very clear they didn't want a Jones or a Worrell missing a game, sitting on the bench. In Worrell's case they didn't want a debut under those circumstances. I'd like to acknowledge this, in the past we would have had a young player waste a weekend, we clearly were doing anything, clearly anything to avoid that.

They really value the experience of Mackay in the SANFL, I do to. I'd love for him to play the whole year there with our younger players as they rotate in and out of the AFL team.

What is staggering is I think it all worked out as they had planned.

They got what they wanted, no young player wasting a weekend, experienced Mackay with the SANFL team, Lynch coming in and playing restricted minutes if required.

I appreciate where they were coming from, but next time just give Davo the bib.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Adelaide have named injured players on the emergency list before, they have form here.

It's very clear they didn't want a Jones or a Worrell missing a game, sitting on the bench. In Worrell's case they didn't want a debut under those circumstances. I'd like to acknowledge this, in the past we would have had a young player waste a weekend, we clearly were doing anything, clearly anything to avoid that.

They really value the experience of Mackay in the SANFL, I do to. I'd love for him to play the whole year there with our younger players as they rotate in and out of the AFL team.

They got what they wanted, no young player wasting a weekend, experienced Mackay with the SANFL team, Lynch coming in and playing restricted minutes if required.

Leadership is such a horseshit meaningless term.

Mackay is exactly the sort of list clogger who should be a medical sub.

I think someone has interpreted that wrong, surely.

“The Commission also maintained the current rule for AFL-listed players, with the AFL medical substitute player not permitted to play in the SANFL State League on the same weekend if they are activated during the AFL match”
That can only apply if the SANFL game is AFTER the AFL match.

Edit:
I’ve interpreted it wrong and it supports what I’m saying.
There is no rule when the AFL is played after.

That's right, which is why I don't get what all the fuss was about at the time. The amount of time it will be an issue is minimal given the SANFL game has to be after the AFL game and the sub not activated over a maximum of 18 rounds.

Staggering is correct.

The game was 20 minutes from the town Jones grew up in and most AFL games this year have had a medical sub activated. He would have played in front of his family, at worst been able to see them even for a little bit. They could have managed it so he played if they really wanted him to get some game time.

Of all people, he must be fuming about this more than anyone right now, and rightly so because not only is this a giant FU to him as a player (picking an injured Lynch, who even at full fitness is limited in his flexibility as a sub), it shows little to no regard for him as a person. If my employer was doing a weekend conference in Adelaide this week and I said I wanted to go, they would take me along in a heartbeat, even if all I did was hand out flyers.

I wish they would show this level of disregard and contempt for the AFL/other clubs rather than our own playing list, but sadly there are more examples of the latter than the former recently.

If it's true that this is what they wanted, then they've confirmed the insularity and lack of foresight they showed in totally ****ing up the Brad Crouch situation is still 100% in place today, and that they are also a pack of campaigners who probably chuck their recycling in with the main rubbish.

Leadership is such a horseshit meaningless term.

Mackay is exactly the sort of list clogger who should be a medical sub.
I would rather use the sub for a young player to experience travelling with the team, the game day environment and getting AFL minutes if the opportunity presents itself

All our decisions need to point to youth, not recycled experience players who had their chance but couldn't get the job done

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would rather use the sub for a young player to experience travelling with the team, the game day environment and getting AFL minutes if the opportunity presents itself

All our decisions need to point to youth, not recycled experience players who had their chance but couldn't get the job done

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having a young player not getting match practice in the SANFL is, in my opinion, a terrible idea.

Having a young player not getting match practice in the SANFL is, in my opinion, a terrible idea.

Exactly. It's a staggering take to say they weren't prioritising younger players here.

It is possible for them to absolutely prioritise younger players and still **** up. This is what they did.

"it's only a painkiller"..
Just so you know, all painkillers can technically kill you at certain high doses. That's why there's recommended doses on the boxes, and instructions to go see a doc if pain persists - they can do more harm than good.

So by the same token, pain jabs shouldn't also be taken lightly. There might be a risk of doing harm to the joint region if overdoing it.

oh no, he’s going to die. Yeh mate,it’s only a painkiller. Unless you’re suggesting we put 15 minutes of game time ahead of not potentially killing our player. Grow up, you’re not this stupid.

Can you also explain to the layperson how painkillers can also compromise your mental faculties?

Ideally in these scenarios, you want a player to jabbed up 30mins before a game to allow for the drug to reach a steady state in the bloodstream.

A "cold" player that hasnt even warmed up, getting jabbed is one of the worst scenarios you could get to getting him prepared for an AFL game.
A lot of side issues here. I can’t comment on specifics because I don’t know what jab or what does they used. But some points to consider in response to your post:
- analgesics vary in side effects depending on which type they are. Generally most given during a match are likely anti-inflammatories, because they are less drowsy. But anything given at high doses can potentially cause nausea and dizziness.

- should a jab be given 10-30 mind before playing? Depends on the dose I suppose. Though direct injections would work quicker than the oral route, because it bypasses the bloodstream path.

- a “cold player” is technically what the jab is for, if there is a niggle going on. If a player can warm up without discomfort then they shouldn’t be getting a jab in the first place.

oh no, he’s going to die. Yeh mate,it’s only a painkiller. Unless you’re suggesting we put 15 minutes of game time ahead of not potentially killing our player. Grow up, you’re not this stupid.
If you can’t see the point I was making then move along. There’s a reason why the clubs are not using jabs for every player that’s playing. You’re the stupid one, stop projecting on me.

If you can’t see the point I was making then move along. There’s a reason why the clubs are not using jabs for every player that’s playing. You’re the stupid one, stop projecting on me.

you weren’t making a point, you were being an idiot. It’s a given that we’re dealing with medical professionals here in a near clinical environment. So yes, it’s only a painkiller and one that was administered anyway. But you go ahead with your simpleton straw man. Or take a Panadol, but be careful, it could kill you. Dumbass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets also not forget, that giving a painkiller there is a myriad of issues a doctor must consider before administration, complications are real.

FFS this isnt panadol.

Technically, if a player has any body issue where there is a hindrance in their performance the following week (and right from the start of play), then that is actually “injured per se”.
Not really as we've known players to still play with niggle and given Lynch was still playing the last few weeks as our best 18th players so technically he wasn't injured, he should have been dropped last week based on form though.

you weren’t making a point, you were being an idiot. It’s a given that we’re dealing with medical professionals here in a near clinical environment. So yes, it’s only a painkiller and one that was administered anyway. But you go ahead with your simpleton straw man. Or take a Panadol, but be careful, it could kill you. Dumbass.
Did you forget the part I said too much jabs can cause weakness to the joint region? This was in response in you asking “why don’t they jab him at the start and then jab him again during the match? It’s only a painkiller.”

Hence I said the preparation might have taken longer than the medical staff thought

No. It's not a new sport, he's not the first player to ever get a jab.

his toe got worse sitting around watching the game?

knowing us, probably.

knowing us, probably.
No, I meant after his initial jab before the game which wore off because he wasn't need for a few hours so the medical staff got caught out because they had to jab him again and that took longer than expected.

I don't know how many posters on here have ever had a shot of xylocaine or a similar deadener but speaking from personal experience they work great but when they wear off you're in for a world of pain usually way worse than prior to the shot. I'm not defending the club's total balls up but it might explain the hesitancy to jab him.

Did you forget the part I said too much jabs can cause weakness to the joint region? This was in response in you asking “why don’t they jab him at the start and then jab him again during the match? It’s only a painkiller.”
Lets also not forget here, overdose is another real issue here.

You cant simply administer at the start of a game and then during the game, this coupled with the fact that games take ~ 3hours to complete, there is a range of issues to consider.

If a drug is administered before the start of a game, then the drug wearing off during the 4th quarter is a real event that can happen.

The bigger indictment though on the medical doctors, is actually administering a pain medication to a medical sub. Thats what is f**ked up the most.

knowing us, probably.
Knowing the Crows they probably gave him a Covid vaccination jab instead of a painkiller. :drunk:

I just can't stop thinking about this, I have so many questions.

Why wasn't he at least half ready?

Did they tell him he wasn't going to be needed?

Were they willing to play 1 down if the game was going a different direction?

I get they wanted to play chayce in the 2's but mackay is sitting right there.

Lets also not forget here, overdose is another real issue here.

You cant simply administer at the start of a game and then during the game, this coupled with the fact that games take ~ 3hours to complete, there is a range of issues to consider.

If a drug is administered before the start of a game, then the drug wearing off during the 4th quarter is a real event that can happen.

The bigger indictment though on the medical doctors, is actually administering a pain medication to a medical sub. Thats what is f**ked up the most.
As far as I’m concerned, one jab in order to play is already questionable enough. But if indeed he had 2 jabs during the match, then he probably shouldn’t have played in the first place!

A lot of side issues here. I can’t comment on specifics because I don’t know what jab or what does they used. But some points to consider in response to your post:
- analgesics vary in side effects depending on which type they are. Generally most given during a match are likely anti-inflammatories, because they are less drowsy. But anything given at high doses can potentially cause nausea and dizziness.

- should a jab be given 10-30 mind before playing? Depends on the dose I suppose. Though direct injections would work quicker than the oral route, because it bypasses the bloodstream path.

- a “cold player” is technically what the jab is for, if there is a niggle going on. If a player can warm up without discomfort then they shouldn’t be getting a jab in the first place.
I think you've got your painkillers mixed up here, the drugs used are more localised area "deadeners" than actual painkillers...an example might be what the dentists use to deaden your gums etc before performing an extraction or dental procedure.

Edit : and I might add it would certainly be dose specific only deadening the toe not his whole foot and the need to then warm up because it's an unusual feeling when you've lost contact with the body part needled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back