Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we’ll have one next Saturday at 3pm

don-pyke-brett-burton_8n9sblzl8hs21ajvvaeomp9j7.jpg

"Tom Lynch has no lingering issues with his toe"

This whole thing was entirely unacceptable. How often do we hear the club (and other clubs) go on about how young players need to be upfront when their body isn't quite right, and how trying to play through injury or not admitting to niggles hurts the club in the long run and erodes trust.

If you're going to (quite rightly) toe that line, then as a club you need to do the same. You don't select injured players. It's one thing to say "here is a great of our club who is going to play with a slight niggle in a grand final" or something like that, but that was clearly not the case here. Lynch was straight-up injured. He could barely move!

And then, having made the reckless decision to play him as the medical sub... what the hell was going on with him not even being in the right kit to play?! Some people here have pointed the finger at Lynch, but I just can't buy that. There's no way that Lynch was too unprofessional to put his damn jumper and boots on. It must have been an instruction from the club. Why? What possible explanation could there be for that? Even if we had absolutely no intention to play him, there's always the possibility of a match-ending injury. It's not even a remote possibility! They happen all the time!

Even if we accept that Lynch only had the capacity to warm up once, that doesn't excuse him not being strapped, not being dressed! For that matter, the moment that Hamill went down clutching his ankle, someone should have been saying to him, "better get your boots on, champ".

I can only see two possibilities here. One is that we had thought this whole thing through, and had decided that we were not going to play him unless it was utterly unavoidable. But if that's the case, why did we actually end up playing him? Was it a face-saving measure? Was it a judgement call in the moment?

Or the second possibility, is that we simply didn't think it through at all. As Vader pointed out to me earlier, we haven't activated the medical sub in four weeks. Did we just say "bloody hell, every week we waste a player just sitting on the pine doing nothing! May as well just use Tom Lynch in that role since he's injured anyway, that way the others all get a full SANFL game", without bothering to stop and think about what would happen if we actually did get an injury? Could we possibly be that incompetent? Is this just as simple as we gambled, without having thought about what we would do if we lost?

I'm genuinely perplexed, and kind of furious too. One thing is for sure - at least one person f’ed up badly here. It's not even about the four points... it's a culture thing, a player welfare thing, a trust thing. You just don't select injured players in your side and try to pass them off as fit!

Honestly, part of me is glad that we lost the match. This kind of thing could be swept under the rug if we win the match, but it absolutely shouldn't be. We're going to get hammered on this, and we should be. This must not ever happen again.
When DMac was sub, he was in his kit plus tracky top (I’m pretty sure) and kept warm on the stationary bike for periods every quarter. I think it’s one of the rare time’s where pretty much everyone could agree that DMac would have been a far better option than an injured Lynch.

Last edited:
Go to 7.45 mark on the video.

Says it all about the AFC and Lynch.

Im so happy the Club is going to get pounded. Why? Because its just arrogance and smugness that they think they know better when they get so many basic and simple things wrong.

I entirely blame Nicks for this, absolutely unprofessional management of a player.

My GP does not administer any of this
I have been to Radiology where a Doctor has given me ( screen guided) steroid injections that included anaesthetic.

My confusion came when you said footballers would not have been given anaesthics
Hope yours worked better than mine, never helped my torn rotator cuff one iota....$250 less the medicare rebate down the gurgler.

Sorry for what? Trying to win a winnable game. Did you question Lynch as the sub (not withstanding his placed in the side based on form)? I didn't as I thought prepping him as they did when he was in the starting 18 the last few weeks would have got him through the game whether he was required in the first 5 minutes or the last 5 minutes of the game.
Sorry Im not going to converse with you any further on this. If you cant see why the handling and management of Lynch is wrong, you have NFI.

From my readings here it looks like a player can play SNAFLE then suit up for the AFL sub.

If we only had a player that is elite in his preparedness, has an AFL hardened fitness level and has been around almost as long as my children to call upon as the Sub that may/may not play .

I would be happier with the Club if they came out and said “yep, we rolled the dice and cocked up, lesson learnt”

Stop the bullshit, own your mistakes!

And what have you proven exactly? That i don’t have any real life experience? I’ve had anaesthetics before in dental procedures and a sporting injury requiring my toenail to be taken entirely off. If the aim is to completely deaden (what you’re suggesting) then there’s no way Lynch would be able to run and kick it properly.
Bullshit, you think Tommy's the only player to ever have a toe or other foot issues jabbed to play?

You're out of you're depth in this discussion, stick to bed pans and the like.

Go to 7.45 mark on the video.

Says it all about the AFC and Lynch.

Im so happy the Club is going to get pounded. Why? Because its just arrogance and smugness that they think they know better when they get so many basic and simple things wrong.

I entirely blame Nicks for this, absolutely unprofessional management of a player.

Whoever’s fault it was, the buck stops with Nicks. Maybe he put his trust in the wrong people, I don’t know.

I’d say it’s one of the most embarrassing things ever to happen at the AFC, but it‘s a long list to sift through.

I can’t believe people involved in this organization put up with this. I actually just can’t get my head around it.

When DMac was sub, he was in his kit (I’m pretty sure) and kept warm on the stationary bike for periods every quarter. I think it’s one of the rare times where pretty much everyone could agree that DMac would have been a far better option than an injured Lynch.

Can confirm. I was at the North game on our bench end - he was ready to go the whole game.

Bullshit, you think Tommy's the only player to ever have a toe or other foot issues jabbed to play?

You're out of you're depth in this discussion, stick to bed pans and the like.
ok, so you’re choosing to argue that it’s called an anesthetic and that proves I use Google? You honestly think it’s easy to use Google to make conversations? Haha

I’d say it’s one of the most embarrassing things ever to happen at the AFC, but it‘s a long list to sift through.

Well Im glad you said that. I thought maybe I was overreacting, but the lack of professionalism here is staggering.

Im not even sure you would get this BS at amateur level footy.

What worries me is that I have little understanding or appreciation of how game day is managed at AFL level, but if I was in charge I know that I would expect all the bench and emergencies ready to play in the first minute of the game. The fact that the Crows dont, goes a long way to explaining how unprofessional our Club really is.

Its not a simple mistake. If they are doing something this simple wrong, I wonder what other f**k ups they are covering up.

Thats the bigger concern for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope yours worked better than mine, never helped my torn rotator cuff one iota....$250 less the medicare rebate down the gurgler.
Expensive procedures
The bursitis one 18 months ago did nothing
My surgeon in Adelaide requested one in my hip socket. I had to cancel surgery last minute there due to some back investigation issues
The socket one should mirror what the hip replacement will do he said
It has done just that which we are both pleased about
I feel like I have a new lease on life but any day now the pain & immobility will come back
Surgery now back down there in September
I can’t have anymore injections due to heightened risk of infection

Well Im glad you said that. I thought maybe I was overreacting, but the lack of professionalism here is staggering.

Im not even sure you would get this BS at amateur level footy.

What worries me is that I have little understanding or appreciation of how game day is managed at AFL level, but if I was in charge I know that I would expect all the bench and emergencies ready to play in the first minute of the game. The fact that the Crows dont, goes a long way to explaining how unprofessional our Club really is.

Its not a simple mistake. If they are doing something this simple wrong, I wonder what other f**k ups they are covering up.

Thats the bigger concern for me.
What are you talking about? The other subs were ready to play in each of the other games, like I told you in this instance the jab they gave Lynch like they did in other games when he was the starting 18 didn't allow him to get through the entire game so the medical staff got caught out and he had to be prep again when he was required, hence they took longer than expected this time.

Not sure if its been mentioned but during the telecast i noticed a group of Adelaide trainers laughing and joking about it on the boundary line while Lynch was bumbling around finding his boots etc. Not a good look and just shows how far off we are in terms of being a professional outfit.

Not sure if its been mentioned but during the telecast i noticed a group of Adelaide trainers laughing and joking about it on the boundary line while Lynch was bumbling around finding his boots etc. Not a good look and just shows how far off we are in terms of being a professional outfit.
Yeah, no. And you sure they were laughing at Lynch, were they pointing at him as well?

What are you talking about? The other subs were ready to play in each of the other games, like I told you in this instance the jab they gave Lynch like they did in other games when he was the starting 18 didn't allow him to get through the entire game so the medical staff got caught out and he had to be prep again when he was required, hence they took longer than expected this time.

Which makes him not fit for purpose as a sub. Not sure why that’s such a hard concept to understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back