The mysterious last list spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba was 163cm, won a Brownlow. Crawford 172cm? Cousins 170 odd.. Ablett. 170 odd. Brownlow Brownlow Brownlow.
It's absolutely okay to have a few smaller players, but surely too many of them is not a good thing. And we already have plenty. Elijah Edwards will most likely be swelling their ranks in a couple of years time. Maybe we'll pick this fellow up and he'll win a Brownlow or two. As with Hrovat, I'm happy for someone else to nab him.

I think eligibility for the rookie draft is essentially the same as the National Draft these days as far as age goes. Must turn 18 or have turned 18 by the end of the draft year in question.

Maybe in a few years when he isn't 65kgs, no point taking him now. At that weight you can't even play VFL

Fortunato Caruso says hi :thumbsu:

I think Pongracic will be the one. As a member of the AIS academy he spent time with the club throughout our last pre-season so the club would be fairly familiar with him and vice versa. He is a big body capable of playing forward and through the midfield which is something that may be needed heading forward with all of Kennedy, Broomhead, JT and Seedsman having body size concerns (for the time being) another mid to call upon with size would be handy IMO.

Unless its a ready to go player a kid with the potential to make an impact straight away is always the best bet in the PSD.

I think Pongracic will be the one. As a member of the AIS academy he spent time with the club throughout our last pre-season so the club would be fairly familiar with him and vice versa. He is a big body capable of playing forward and through the midfield which is something that may be needed heading forward with all of Kennedy, Broomhead, JT and Seedsman having body size concerns (for the time being) another mid to call upon with size would be handy IMO.

Unless its a ready to go player a kid with the potential to make an impact straight away is always the best bet in the PSD.

When i looked him up it said he is 173cm and 70kgs

When i looked him up it said he is 173cm and 70kgs

He's now 24 years old. He's been playing VFL since his back to back Morrish medals of 05 & 06 and started at that level in the mid to high 60's.

Patrick Rose was another that was low 70 odd kg's wringing wet yet kicked 67 goals and won the leading goalkicker award for the VFL in 2011. Ryan Neates at 68kg played for the West Coast Eagles in 2012. Dylan Buckley at the Blues is just 70kg. Amos Frank at the Hawks is 169cm and 70kg and played some quality VFL footy towards the end of 2012. And who could ever forget Seedy at 69kg putting together solid games at the back end of 2011.

Size isn't the issue it's how you use what you actually have that really matters.

Courtesy Number10 from our PD:

Pick 29 - Hawthorn: Jason Pongracic 182 cm, 86 kg - Dandenong Stingrays

I feel with Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis getting on in age (but still producing great football), they need to bring in an inside mid who has the capacity to ease the load off those on ballers at times over the next couple of years and to ultimately take the raines of a younger midfield group coming through. They have lost a bit of run and carry in Young, but Savage and Smith are capable of this for many years to come - which is why I didn't go for a Wright, Haynes or Colquhoun.

Funnily enough - which is slightly annoying, Knightmare has him at pick 29 also, but others have him going a bit later. I see his type as their greatest need at the moment and Jason seems to be the next best inside mid in this draft unless I missed someone.

Strong body and big bodied inside ball winner who has missed some time this year with injury. Real in and under type who attacks the footy and more often than not comes out with it. Displays great hardness at the footy and just really attacks it. Seems to really enjoying playing for the contested ball. Excellent by both hand and foot and is one of those few strong contested ball winners who can use it really well. Pongracic is a really early bloomer and has been good for a number of years. The question with Pongracic is because he is bigger than everyone else does he do it because of size or because he is just better than everyone else? The other query is on pace and he is not one of the quickest midfielders going around. In any case he will be one of the more immediate talents who should be able to step up to AFL level more quickly than the next midfielder. Pongracic has also shown since coming back from injury this year the ability to play up forward and have an impact.

The difference in salary between a 4th or 5th round draft selection and a PSD selected Rookie is approximately $30,000 - which in terms of a salary cap, is basically nothing. For this reason, I don't think we were waiting for the PSD to get someone like Garlett who was available in the ND.

Also, CFC found out about 24 hours before the ND that there was a huge chance that Grundy would slip through to them at 18, so for this reason I don't think they were overly shocked about getting Grundy (excited nonetheless) that they had to alter and reshuffle their last list spot within an hour period during the ND.

My synopsis is:
1. Hine knew exactly what was available in the ND and decided he would buy his team more time, and hit the PSD draft pool. I'm guessing there were no standouts that he really wanted, so he thought he wait. Patience is a virtue remember.

2. Garlett is NOT an option for us or we would have drafted him on ND night

3. A mature age ruckman was only going to be added to the list in the PSD had Grundy not fallen to us

4. We will get a talented selection from left field on PSD night to fill our last spot. There is no way in hell we will keep it vacated. There is no need, a rookie wage is about 50,000 - we would definitely have this available.

Fort is a lot bigger than 65 KG's I guarantee it. He is 168cm-170cm from memory, but last time I saw him he was comfortably 70kg...which for a guy his height is about spot on.

But his height definitely cost him getting recruited. Dual Morrish medal winner.

In terms of the height debate...I have no doubt guys shorter than 175cm can become great players. Guys like Brent Harvey are still dominating.

However, I think you need pace or aggression.

But, I don't think your list can carry too many. Thesedays, midfielders are getting bigger and bigger, and if Jarryd Blair finds himself against Josh Kennedy, the first thing Kennedy is going to do is go to the forward line.

I think we are on our limit when it comes to short blokes. However, our starting midfield is quite tall so the few little blokes add a nice compliment. Definitely agree that drafting Hrovat would've been a mistake. I think it was either Kennedy or Hrovat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But, I don't think your list can carry too many. Thesedays, midfielders are getting bigger and bigger, and if Jarryd Blair finds himself against Josh Kennedy, the first thing Kennedy is going to do is go to the forward line.

Having Kennedy out of their midfield would be a massive win for Collingwood. You often hear theories about small mids being exposed by their opponent dragging them forward adn dominating them, but I can't think of examples of it actually occuring.

I found this interesting.

The Pies are also tipped to sign 26-year-old midfielder Sam Dwyer from Port Melbourne. The classy ball magnet, rated by some scouts as the premium second-tier player, played this year's VFL grand final with a fractured leg.

From the Hudson article in the HUN

SAM DWYER

Height: 179cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 29/08/86
Recruited from: Port Melbourne
Bio: Smart midfielder/forward who likes to take the game on with his run and carry. Elusive in traffic with very clean use by foot. Named on a wing in the 2009 VFL team of the year

In his own words
What type of player are you?
Smart, hard-working small midfielder/forward.
Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?Gary Ablett Jnr because he's a midfielder that can go forward and kick goals, is elusive and carries the ball - all of which I do.
What are your strengths as a footballer?
Good kick, smart, quick, take the game on, am hard working and elusive.
What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Front and squares (roving ability), fitness and my set-shot goalkicking.
Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Richmond. I've barracked for them all my life because my dad does, too.
Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far and why?
Dad (Paul). He's always there for advice and support, and he helped me fine-tune my game when I was younger.

Fort is a lot bigger than 65 KG's I guarantee it. He is 168cm-170cm from memory, but last time I saw him he was comfortably 70kg...which for a guy his height is about spot on.

But his height definitely cost him getting recruited. Dual Morrish medal winner.

No doubt about that now, but he wasn't when he first started there in 07-08.

The point I was making was that Blaze spoke in absolutes as in "you can't play VFL at that size". This isn't the case and there are a number of players out there that have played at lower weights and heights.

No doubt about that now, but he wasn't when he first started there in 07-08.

The point I was making was that Blaze spoke in absolutes as in "you can't play VFL at that size". This isn't the case and there are a number of players out there that have played at lower weights and heights.

Maybe i was exaggerating a bit, it'd be very hard to play VFL at that weight and pretty rare, even harder at AFL level (which is why we would recruit him)

Maybe i was exaggerating a bit, it'd be very hard to play VFL at that weight and pretty rare, even harder at AFL level (which is why we would recruit him)

I'd agree it does make things harder.

BTW I was in no way criticizing what you were saying it was more the language you used which you've clarified anyway.

He's now 24 years old. He's been playing VFL since his back to back Morrish medals of 05 & 06 and started at that level in the mid to high 60's.

Patrick Rose was another that was low 70 odd kg's wringing wet yet kicked 67 goals and won the leading goalkicker award for the VFL in 2011. Ryan Neates at 68kg played for the West Coast Eagles in 2012. Dylan Buckley at the Blues is just 70kg. Amos Frank at the Hawks is 169cm and 70kg and played some quality VFL footy towards the end of 2012. And who could ever forget Seedy at 69kg putting together solid games at the back end of 2011.

Size isn't the issue it's how you use what you actually have that really matters.

Then Melbourne should recruit all these guys and few more short people and win the premiership next year....

one thing is for sure..... short people can fly better than pigs...

Remove this Banner Ad

The mysterious last list spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back