Banter The No Dazzlering Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a lot of you don't appreciate how lucky you are.

GRjHXVJb0AIdmts

GRjHXVJb0AIdmts

Sides that I was lucky enough to witness play cricket and will forever be in my memory. At their prime they seemed unbeatable and often were

1) The West Indies sides from the late seventies to late eighties/early nineties. Particularly when captained by Clive Lloyd then to a lesser extent under Viv Richards. By the time Richie Richardson took over they were on the wane

2) The Australian team from the mid to late 90’s to mid 2000’s. Mainly when captained by Waugh but also the early years under Ponting

3) There is no 3, and if there was it sure wouldn’t be ****ing England

Don't need the probably, he's a mile ahead of whoever is second.
I think people are naturally biased against him because his bowling action is so…unconventional, which means he’ll simply never be as widely respected as he should outside of India.

GRjHXVJb0AIdmts

The hubris in these pommie geezers is next level. They aren't even the best English side in the past 20 years, let alone the rest of the playing nations.

One side I would have liked to have got see a lot more of is that ~2010-2014 South African side.
Smith, Amla, Kallis, De Villiers, Boucher, Steyn, Morkel was a very solid core of players with Harris a serviceable spinner and pretty good value out of Prince, Peterson, Duminy through that period. 14 consecutive series undefeated. That's top shelf quality.

Jimmy Anderson 7/35 for Lancashire, including a spell of 6/19 to open the innings and taking the first six wickets. As much as I enjoy hating on the Poms, I have to admire him. Being able to play high-level international cricket for that long as a fast bowler is pretty extraordinary.

Also a pretty incredible result in a match between Gloucestershire and Glamorgan, with Glamorgan chasing a target of 593 and the match ending up coming down to a tie score with the final ball of the match resulting in a wicket, to put Glamorgan all out for 592.

Sides that I was lucky enough to witness play cricket and will forever be in my memory. At their prime they seemed unbeatable and often were

1) The West Indies sides from the late seventies to late eighties/early nineties. Particularly when captained by Clive Lloyd then to a lesser extent under Viv Richards. By the time Richie Richardson took over they were on the wane

2) The Australian team from the mid to late 90’s to mid 2000’s. Mainly when captained by Waugh but also the early years under Ponting

It was short but it was spectacular.
The Australian time of Lillee and Thompson. That 1975 series against the Windies was epic.
In fact it was that series that templated the Windies for the next 15 years. Basically Lloyd and Richards got together and said 'never again' and built a team for shock and awe. Lloyd, Richards, Greenidge, Roberts, Holding all played that series.

Edit - and no, no England team in my lifetime comes close to the Windies of 1976-90ish and Australlia from the early 90's through to 2010ish.

And Dear Ben, Those two teams invented Bazball while Baz was still cheating his way through NZ under 15s.

Last edited:
Also a pretty incredible result in a match between Gloucestershire and Glamorgan, with Glamorgan chasing a target of 593 and the match ending up coming down to a tie score with the final ball of the match resulting in a wicket, to put Glamorgan all out for 592.

With both Bancroft and Labuschagne in the runs (along with everyone else in the second innings)

3) Scorchers 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems premature

He’s barely establishing himself in the state side

T20 against Scotland and England, so just giving him a teaser of higher honours to motivate him to keep it up

It's a throwaway tour/series, good opportunity to see some next-gen talent.
Yeah exactly this. I'd love to see CA schedule more white ball series against the associates, who cares if most of the best XI miss, gives the next tier valuable experience and it's great for the associates cricket wise and financially to get games v us.

Carbine Chaos
I just finished Ep 4 with your luckiest/unluckiest XIs. All-time clanger not to have Paul Collingwood in the luckiest team. I know Geraint Jones was included for riding on the coattails of his 2005 Ashes team mates, but the same applies to Collingwood x 100.

Chetan Sharma is one I remember from primary school playground attempts at mimicking bowling actions. His was reminiscent of the Tas Devil from Warner Bros, a real whirlwind.
Gladstone Small was still the best to imitate from that era.

Carbine Chaos
I just finished Ep 4 with your luckiest/unluckiest XIs. All-time clanger not to have Paul Collingwood in the luckiest team. I know Geraint Jones was included for riding on the coattails of his 2005 Ashes team mates, but the same applies to Collingwood x 100.

Chetan Sharma is one I remember from primary school playground attempts at mimicking bowling actions. His was reminiscent of the Tas Devil from Warner Bros, a real whirlwind.
Gladstone Small was still the best to imitate from that era.
Thanks for listening mate. We're recording our return episode tonight so I'll pass that on.

I remember Collingwood playing some good knocks here and there but I reckon the list of lucky/hackish English batsmen would be pretty long haha.

Thanks for listening mate. We're recording our return episode tonight so I'll pass that on.

I remember Collingwood playing some good knocks here and there but I reckon the list of lucky/hackish English batsmen would be pretty long haha.
He was a very good ODI player, but getting an MBE off the back of 1 game and 17 runs is unbelievable good fortune. And he only got that game because Simon Jones was injured, a strong candidate for the unlucky XI.

He was a very good ODI player, but getting an MBE off the back of 1 game and 17 runs is unbelievable good fortune. And he only got that game because Simon Jones was injured, a strong candidate for the unlucky XI.
Yeah Simon Jones was close but I couldn't go past Shane Bond for that injured bowler slot.

Over 400 international wickets and a double ton doesn’t exactly scream unlucky

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I meant injury wise, he did seem to break down a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter The No Dazzlering Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back