Roast The Non Goal: F*** the AFL, court injunction?

What compensation will we receive from the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stolen from the Port board- poster did not attribute (because Port, I guess) but it looks like a quote from a media report; some interesting info:

Goal umpires will be urged to refer every borderline call and be guided by a senior ARC official across the finals series as the league attempts to eradicate blunders in September. For the finals the league will install its best ARC officials who might otherwise only be used for one or two games each weekend. A senior ARC official will have extra communication with the goal umpire through their headset. That official will ensure an extra set of eyes and will urge the goal umpire to hold up play before he or she signals a goal or behind if the ARC believes a decision should be reviewed. Previously only the field umpire could hold up play to suggest a goal umpire refer a decision — not a member of the ARC. It will be the only role of that senior ARC official as the league ensures goal umpires are given as much information as possible.
#aweektoolate

I have little doubt that if Ray was in charge he'd have stepped in, if only for a solid bit of camera time at a big moment.
Most people beat up on Ray because he’s a show pony. But I’d happily have him umpire every one of our games. The bloke knows his shit.

And I don’t have a problem with people who are up themselves, if they can actually back it up.

This is what I really want to know - what exactly is changing? Did the umpires have the authority to intervene, and if they did, what sort of guidelines were they given? Or are we now changing the rules / guidelines to say "from now on..."?

Because let's be honest, when the goal umpire is 100% sure, signals a behind immediately, what grounds does the field umpire have to call for a review? "All the players were celebrating" doesn't really cut it.

I mean, we all know the field umpire (or ARC) should have called for a review, but to be fair it was a bit of a black swan event for the umpires.

I think the "senior official in the score review system" is better. I mean, have both, but the score review people is the important one IMO.

Because

Again, I'd like clarity on this. The field umpire(s) is/are the highest authority on the field? Do they have that authority? Or are we now giving them an authority they didn't have before? Or, indeed, are we giving a new authority (or new guidelines on an existing authority) to the ARC people?

They don't have to do a full review, just enough to see that there might be some doubt.
I've no umpiring experience but I have a young friend working his way up through the ranks. Currently at VFL level.
He says that umpires are taught to not follow the ball with their eyes but turn their attention to where the drop will be, And watch the players before the ball arrives.

This is no excuse but might explain that the field umpires might not have payed much attention to the ball in flight.

I've no umpiring experience but I have a young friend working his way up through the ranks. Currently at VFL level.
He says that umpires are taught to not follow the ball with their eyes but turn their attention to where the drop will be, And watch the players before the ball arrives.

This is no excuse but might explain that the field umpires might not have payed much attention to the ball in flight.
Interesting, the Swans players bumping into the post and the goal ump’s call being hit the post would’ve been enough grounds for the field ump to step in you’d think. Maybe they’re not taught that or it just didn’t occur to the field ump on Saturday night

Interesting, the Swans players bumping into the post and the goal ump’s call being hit the post would’ve been enough grounds for the field ump to step in you’d think. Maybe they’re not taught that or it just didn’t occur to the field ump on Saturday night
Yeah I reckon it's one of those things that seems obvious in hindsight

Most people beat up on Ray because he’s a show pony. But I’d happily have him umpire every one of our games. The bloke knows his s**t.

And I don’t have a problem with people who are up themselves, if they can actually back it up.
Outside the footy field he doesn’t actually seem up himself, seems like a pretty decent bloke.

This gentleman has broken down umpire bias in terms of home and away teams look at the difference between Home Vic teams v away non Vic teams, this is everything that is wrong with the umpiring fraternity
This shows that inherent Victorian bias in field umpiring week in week out is so much worse than a single decision that was a genuine mistake.

This gentleman has broken down umpire bias in terms of home and away teams look at the difference between Home Vic teams v away non Vic teams, this is everything that is wrong with the umpiring fraternity
Incredible. Was this an outcome of the 2007 AFL investigation into non Victorian team premierships? Biased umpiring to drag the chances of Victorian teams up?

Deserves a thread on the main board.

Incredible. Was this an outcome of the 2007 AFL investigation into non Victorian team premierships? Biased umpiring to drag the chances of Victorian teams up?

Deserves a thread on the main board.

Sure does. ams4crows want to post it?
I’ll post it. Am happy to wear the fallout / ban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect many will disagree with me here but I’m far more annoyed at the number of times we were screwed over by field umpires this season in close games. Also by how we have repeatedly been in the past as per the video posted above.

This year we did get the rub of the green against Collingwood at home but every other close game we copped it from the men in green consistently. The goal umpire was unlucky with the timing of his incorrect call and it most likely cost us the game, but at least it was a once off innocent mistake.

After getting over the initial disappointment of how bad we played in the 1st two quarters it is absolutely outrageous how a blatant, obvious error could cost a team a finals berth. They better hope like hell GWS win this week. Are we surprised though. Go back and watch the umpiring in the 2012 prelim final - blatant cheating.

Imagine if it was a Victorian club.
The prelim was fixed but at least it was because Adelaide forced their hand by paying Tippett outside of the salary cap. That should have been the extent of the penalties though.

Obviously fake but sure seems like the fairest result. No one knows what would have happened in the last 71 seconds… so let’s find out.

Would be an expensive and inconvenient process, but not more so of missing finals due to AFLs incompetence. They made the mistake, so find a way to fix it.

AFL would never entertain it though because it’s actually fair.
Wouldn't really be fair. If we lost the replay we'd rightly point out that we were robbed of all momentum.

Damo..on an official AFL media site..says it all really in terms of what the AFL really thinks….

IF ...​

the Crows and seemingly half of Adelaide this week lost their minds, justifiably, over the Ben Keays non-goal decision ...

THEN ...​

thousands of Western Bulldogs supporters were overheard saying something about Tony Liberatore and a karma bus waiting to be driven since the '97 preliminary final.

Damo..on an official AFL media site..says it all really in terms of what the AFL really thinks….

IF ...​

the Crows and seemingly half of Adelaide this week lost their minds, justifiably, over the Ben Keays non-goal decision ...

THEN ...​

thousands of Western Bulldogs supporters were overheard saying something about Tony Liberatore and a karma bus waiting to be driven since the '97 preliminary final.
If...

They don't want us in the comp...

Then...

Just take our licence away and end it. It's a mutual hate scenario now anyways.

IF ...​

THEN ...​

Is there any decent vision of that shot on goal?

IF ...​

THEN ...​

That is pathetic.

And a sign the VFL are trying to orchestrate public sentiment against us. The cost of asking VFL House for compensation.

If we lose to WCE and then Sydney or GWS win Sunday expect this story to pivot to "Crows wouldn't make Finals anyway".

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The Non Goal: F*** the AFL, court injunction?

Back