Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

The booing is not on. But Ken is no good for Port and coaching Port is clearly no good for Ken. It really seems untenable.
Hopefully they persist with it.

I want them to be just good enough to keep their shitshow rolling on.

Check out their list profile.

They have a large core of players in the 23-28 age bracket, plus another 4 good players that are 30+.

Compare these players to our players in that range and that is why they are ahead of us. It's not about the young players.
They are the 2nd youngest side in the comp and only have 1 more player than us with over 100 games experience going into this season

Mitchell is a good coach and he had a very smooth handover from the previous regime. Got to bring a group of players through Box Hill in the VFL so he's had some extra time with part of the group. Shouldn't be surprising that they've been able to turn it around quickly

They are the 2nd youngest side in the comp and only have 1 more player than us with over 100 games experience going into this season

I'm not saying they're not young, my point is that they have a good group of players in the 23-28 range that is driving them.

When you compare the same range of players in our side that is why they are ahead of us. Pink, Teakle, Dawson, Tucker, Taylor v Hardwick, Amon, Scrimshaw, Impey, Worpel etc.

Then in the older bracket we have McDonald, Shiels v Sicily, Frost.

This is why they are ahead of us, not the kids.

I'll give you a hint.

We have a senior player entrenched in our best 22 who has played 195 games, and he can't hit the side of a barn.

Another gives away stupid frees and 50s that result in goals every week and another who is a discard from the Hawthorn team you are talking about.

Over 27s -

Sicily, Frost, Impey, Hardwick, Gunston, Bruest, Amon, and Chol

Vs

Corr, McDonald, Tucker, Shiels

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's not forget that Mitchell inherited a side coached by Clarkson. Clarkson inherited a side coached by Scott and a number of others, none of whom have coached at the senior level again.

And they have a winning culture over many decades. When you are playing with premiership players or seeing them in the corridors of the club, you understand not only what is required to be successful, but also the expectation that you have to be successful.

Last edited:
Ken loses 140th game = laughter
Ken loses 150th game = laughter
Ken loses Showdowns in prison bars = laughter
Ken loses prelims = laughter
Ken loses elimination finals = laughter
Ken loses Russell Ebert tribute game = laughter
Ken loses premiership reunion game = laughter.

Ken saves his own skin in a meaningless mod season game against a bottom 4 team = tears

Port Board is a joy. I actually agree with the majority of what they say about Hinkley, but it's pretty hard to feel bad for them.

I hate him because he is another version of B Scott. Not really hate him so much, but I end up sympathising with Port supporters.
Except that when he took over there they were in much worse shape than North had got under Laidley. I get that gratitude wears off after a while, and you can you get frustrated by watching your club seeming to hit a ceiling, but he took them from a terrible state into being mostly pretty good and on the whole they don’t seem seem to have much to complain about - nothing that warrants the carry on we are seeing.

Except that when he took over there they were in much worse shape than North had got under Laidley. I get that gratitude wears off after a while, and you can you get frustrated by watching your club seeming to hit a ceiling, but he took them from a terrible state into being mostly pretty good and on the whole they don’t seem seem to have much to complain about - nothing that warrants the carry on we are seeing.
I can see that POV but mine is fundamentally different. I assume I started following North when they won the 1977 flag. I was 4, I don't really remember. But I do remember a distinct pull towards Richmond when they won in 1980.
I obviously stuck with North and was rewarded with that 1993-99 era. There's never been such joyous years of watching football in my life.
Brad Scott was incapable of delivering that. Even when he made back to back prelims it was nothing like 94-95. Especially not like 1993, where we didn't make the prelim but finished top 4 and you could see what was possible. Unlike others, I don't think we were that close to winning in 2015. True 2016 was an amazing start, and yeah injuries, but I also think the ladder flattered us. (Should also disclose I was despondent after 95!)
Hinkley is the same at Port. He's just not capable of winning them a flag. He has the longest tenure at one club without a GF. Scott is 2nd. They are both likely to break the all-time record for games coached without a GF, I think there's only one guy ahead of them.
I have enjoyed the last four weeks of football more than anything for a long while, including long periods under Scott when we were winning but inconsistently. I completely understand where the Port supporters are coming from, footy needs that potential for ecstasy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not forget that Mitchell inherited a side coached bt Clarkson. Clarkson inherited a side coached by Scott and a number of others, none of whom have coached at the senior level again.

And they have a winning culture over many decades. When you are playing with premiership players or seeing them in the corridors of the club, you understand not only what is required to be successful, but also the expectation that you have to be successful.
Think this is an attempt to downplay Mitchell as a coach?

Tactically he has proven to be very good, don't think dismissing it/putting it down to Clarkson is at all fair.
No one expected Hawthorn to be where they are and they have been competitive against most opposition. He has done very, very well.

For all the hand-wringing about Hawthorn, it's worth remembering that Mitchell has coached 60 consecutive games. Clarko has coached us for 28, with a spell of 11 missed games between his 9th and 10th game as coach.

Mitchell's 28th game was a narrow loss to Adelaide in Launceston that saw them sitting 1-5 on the bottom of the ladder last year (their only win being against us, also in Launceston).

Tactically he has proven to be very good, don't think dismissing it/putting it down to Clarkson is at all fair.
No one expected Hawthorn to be where they are and they have been competitive against most opposition. He has done very, very well.

Not downplaying Mitchell at all, but when you have a winning culture to build on, it is easier to implement tactics, etc.

How many of us have bemoaned the lack of a winning culture, skills development, fitness, etc since the Scott days? That is not easy to fix, before you even start to think about tactics during game day.

Not downplaying Mitchell at all, but when you have a winning culture to build on, it is easier to implement tactics, etc.

How many of us have bemoaned the lack of a winning culture, skills development, fitness, etc since the Scott days? That is not easy to fix, before you even start to think about tactics during game day.
Definitely mate but it's only a component of it. Development and fitness are definitely issues for us as is drafting - we've lacked good ball users for the best part of 15 years to be honest.

I think the winning culture from our perspective (or lack thereof) is more about getting rid of too many players at once and then having replacements who are either very average or not AFL standard.

I've said that I don't think Clarkson was coaching well earlier in the season but he has made adjustments (particularly) defensively that have made us much more competitive.

This is based on a question comparing us to Hawthorn and why aren't we as good. The answer is that Hawthorn has decades of stability based on the Clarkson era and a few good older players. Mitchell is a good coach but he wouldn't be doing much better with our situation than Clarkson has in the last two years. If he was doing better at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back