Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm of an age to have seen a bitta footy. Dusty an all-time great, without doubt. But l would not put him in front of;
. Bartlett
. Hart
. Bourke
. ( never saw Dyer or Titus ) Horace ?

Different time & game, but those 3.

Debatable l suppose.

Kinda like great teams. This is Carltank's 1972 G.F. side who l would stack against any modern side ( and Crosswell injured )

I'm in the Dusty camp, Hoj, as the best of that lot. I think from what I saw he was better than all of Bartlett, Hart and Bourke. They were great players, but Dusty had that extra ability to turn games, as evidenced by his three Norm Smiths,

In my opinion Bartlett, Hart and Bourke played in one of the great sides of that era and had a better array of talent around them than Dusty did.

In my opinion, only Captain Blood is in the conversation with Dusty as to who has been the greatest player at Richmond. My late father was a lifetime Richmond supporter and loved Captain Blood. He never saw Dusty play, but I wonder who would have won out in his estimation if he had have been alive to see Dusty and those three flags/Norm Smiths.

I think that what elevated Jack Dyer in the eyes of so many Tigers in his time was that he represented a very much battling, working class suburb. He was an inspiration to so many who were doing it so tough in those days.

Having said that it is very unfair to judge players from different eras.

If by cost you mean netted them 3 flags sure.

I'd say any club takes that even if they are down the bottom for another 10 years
thomas middleditch film GIF by Entanglement

All this time I thought we got one over them. :(

The reality is Dusty signing on in 2017 changed his, Hardwicks and Richmond’s fortunes forever. And North’s and Scott’s.

And we got left standing alone at the altar, with our dicks in our hands and nothing to aim at. And so we ended up in the abyss.

Those campaigners have 3 flags to show for it. Should have had 4.

And yet in all those years of contending, they still couldn’t shake the monkey off the back when playing North.

The best side in it and yet we never feared them.
Still don’t. Weird.

The reality is Dusty signing on in 2017 changed his, Hardwicks and Richmond’s fortunes forever. And North’s and Scott’s.

And we got left standing alone at the altar, with our dicks in our hands and nothing to aim at. And so we ended up in the abyss.

Those campaigners have 3 flags to show for it. Should have had 4.

And yet in all those years of contending, they still couldn’t shake the monkey off the back when playing North.

The best side in it and yet we never feared them.
Still don’t. Weird.

That's true. It's been true since I started following footy in the 90s. It feels like they have beaten us less than maybe any other club in that time. Why is this? Why do we get up for them but not *

That's true. It's been true since I started following footy in the 90s. It feels like they have beaten us less than maybe any other club in that time. Why is this? Why do we get up for them but not *
I posted this in the autopsy thread in relation to Tigers board claiming that they’re our annual grand final.

There has been 49 Meetings since Round 2, 1990.
33 Wins - North (includes the 1995 qualifying final and 2015 Elimination Final)
15 Wins - Richmond
1 Draw

It’s made even more sadder that 5 of those 15 wins came in their 2017-2023 successful Hardwick era.

So before they started winning flags, they had beaten us 10 times in 27 years.

The record at the start of 2017 was:
30 Wins - North
10 Wins - Richmond
1 Draw

A 73% losing record against us lol
Embarrassing.

It’s still now sitting at 67% and will rise again.
They say annual grand final. We say bunnnniieeesssss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 24 FIXTURE​

LOCKED IN

SATURDAY
ESSENDON V BRISBANE LIONS

SUNDAY
WESTERN BULLDOGS V GWS GIANTS
CARLTON v ST KILDA
FREMANTLE v PORT ADELAIDE

POSSIBLE

FRIDAY NIGHT
SYDNEY V ADELAIDE
SATURDAY
RICHMOND V GOLD COAST
GEELONG V WEST COAST
COLLINGWOOD V MELBOURNE
HAWTHORN V NORTH MELBOURNE

ROUND 24 FIXTURE​

LOCKED IN

SATURDAY
ESSENDON V BRISBANE LIONS

SUNDAY
WESTERN BULLDOGS V GWS GIANTS
CARLTON v ST KILDA
FREMANTLE v PORT ADELAIDE

POSSIBLE

FRIDAY NIGHT
SYDNEY V ADELAIDE
SATURDAY
RICHMOND V GOLD COAST
GEELONG V WEST COAST
COLLINGWOOD V MELBOURNE
HAWTHORN V NORTH MELBOURNE
Is this tampering or just manipulation?

I'm in the Dusty camp, Hoj, as the best of that lot. I think from what I saw he was better than all of Bartlett, Hart and Bourke. They were great players, but Dusty had that extra ability to turn games, as evidenced by his three Norm Smiths,

In my opinion Bartlett, Hart and Bourke played in one of the great sides of that era and had a better array of talent around them than Dusty did.

In my opinion, only Captain Blood is in the conversation with Dusty as to who has been the greatest player at Richmond. My late father was a lifetime Richmond supporter and loved Captain Blood. He never saw Dusty play, but I wonder who would have won out in his estimation if he had have been alive to see Dusty and those three flags/Norm Smiths.

I think that what elevated Jack Dyer in the eyes of so many Tigers in his time was that he represented a very much battling, working class suburb. He was an inspiration to so many who were doing it so tough in those days.

Having said that it is very unfair to judge players from different eras.

Bartlett ...5 times Premiership player, Norm Smith medallist, 400 games, 800+ goals.

Shit coach.

Q for Marstermind or any other history boffins...

When was the last time an AFL/VFL team won a grand final after losing a H&A game by more than 100 points that same year?

Round 3, 1945
Essendon 22.18-150 d Carlton 7.8-50

The Blues were winless and on the bottom after this game but won the last 6 games of the season to sneak into the 4 for the first time in the last round. This was the first 20 game season so otherwise they wouldn't have made it. They beat us in our first ever final, then Collingwood to make the Grand Final. And then they won the Bloodbath Grand Final against South.

Last edited:
Round 3, 1945

The Blues were winless and on the bottom after this game but won the last 6 games of the season to sneak into the 4 for the first time in the last round. This was the first 20 game season so otherwise they would have made it. They beat us in our first ever final, then Collingwood to make the Grand Final. And then they won the Bloodbath Grand Final against South.
You're a genius. Thank you.

Round 3, 1945

The Blues were winless and on the bottom after this game but won the last 6 games of the season to sneak into the 4 for the first time in the last round. This was the first 20 game season so otherwise they wouldn't have made it. They beat us in our first ever final, then Collingwood to make the Grand Final. And then they won the Bloodbath Grand Final against South.

Were you there 😉

Q for Marstermind or any other history boffins...

When was the last time an AFL/VFL team won a grand final after losing a H&A game by more than 100 points that same year?
We nearly did it to Port in 2004. We led by 104 with a couple of minutes to go but let them kick a couple of junk timers and finished up winning by 92

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back