The Official 2010 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't fully agree, although i'm a mate of his and I will be biased, Sylvia is a potential A grader of the comp. He polled 10 brownlow votes missing 7 games due to injury and backed up a very impressive season last year with 5th placing in Melbournes B and F after missing these games. His influence in the last game of the year kept the dees in it at times. Never misses targets and is hard as nails.
I do agree that our list is just as strong if not better though.

I do like Slyvia but imo (and this is probably 90% bias) swallow outclasses him

I do like Slyvia but imo (and this is probably 90% bias) swallow outclasses him
I wasn't comparing him directly to spitta. Just saying that he would currently in their top 5 players and should be in years to come. Moloney is another to add to that list. I still hold out some hope we will have a bolter from this years draft or a rookie to turn into something special. Speight maybe??

I wasn't comparing him directly to spitta. Just saying that he would currently in their top 5 players and should be in years to come. Moloney is another to add to that list. I still hold out some hope we will have a bolter from this years draft or a rookie to turn into something special. Speight maybe??

ok i see where your going, just i was comaring the players that were side by side and just assumed you were doing likewise:thumbsu:

and yeh i hope Speighta becomes a roaring success, most exciting 2 gamer in the AFL

Smith, to me, just seems to be much more cleaner and smarter with his balls use

Sounds like the sort of player Collingwood could have used in their post-Grand Final celebrations.

From those clips, I really like the look of Kieran Harper. He reminds me of a Scott Pendlebury or a young Nick Dal Santo.. Just has the class and skill about him :thumbsu:

If we get the Dees deal over the line we get one of the following in the middle of the list.

If the Hawks give us 19 we get two of the following, but towards the back of the list.

Swallow
Bennell
Day
Heppell (Mid/Hbf)
Gorringe(Ruck)
Gaff (Mid)
Atley(Mid)
Watson(KDef)
Polec(Mid)
Lynch(KFwd)
Caddy(Mid)
Smith(Mid)
Harper(Mid)
Lycett(RuckFwd)
Smedts(Mid/Hbf)
Parker(Mid)
Hallahan(Mid)
Lamb(SFwd)
Wilkinson(Mid)
Pitt(Mid)
Cook(KFwd)
Jacobs (Def/Mid)

As much as I would love to have one of Caddy or Smith who may be available at 12 but won't be a 17, I would deal with the Hawks. Could get Smedts and Pitt. I would be very, very happy with that and then I. Smith in the 30's.

Good Post.

Two picks within the top 20 would be outstanding, within the top 25 very good.

I'm worried my man Smedts will be a bolter and go perhaps before pick #12 even. Atley to slip down the ranks a tad perhaps?

If we get the Dees deal over the line we get one of the following in the middle of the list.

If the Hawks give us 19 we get two of the following, but towards the back of the list.

Swallow
Bennell
Day
Heppell (Mid/Hbf)
Gorringe(Ruck)
Gaff (Mid)
Atley(Mid)
Watson(KDef)
Polec(Mid)
Lynch(KFwd)
Caddy(Mid)
Smith(Mid)
Harper(Mid)
Lycett(RuckFwd)
Smedts(Mid/Hbf)
Parker(Mid)
Hallahan(Mid)
Lamb(SFwd)
Wilkinson(Mid)
Pitt(Mid)
Cook(KFwd)
Jacobs (Def/Mid)

As much as I would love to have one of Caddy or Smith who may be available at 12 but won't be a 17, I would deal with the Hawks. Could get Smedts and Pitt. I would be very, very happy with that and then I. Smith in the 30's.

You could probably add to the list:
McCarthy Df
Darling Fwd

Not saying that we will pick them up, it just increases the pool of talent and possibly pushes other players down.

I guess it all depends on Bryce's opinion of the strength of the draft. We may be absolutely confident that a gun will slip through to 12 and believe that from 15-35 it's pretty even.

I'll be happy if we can get either of those deals for David Hale. Not that confident anymore. Hawthorn have always said that their 1st pick is not on the table but we'll see.

Yeah spot on Passmore. There's a couple of other too which you could add to the list. It would be good to get a deal for Hale from 19 tp the early 20's. Plenty of good talent from 10 - 25.

Hopefully Smedts is around at 17 HH3. I like him too.

I'll be happy if we can get either of those deals for David Hale. Not that confident anymore. Hawthorn have always said that their 1st pick is not on the table but we'll see.

It is getting interesting with the Hawks. The Hawks want Josh Hill and David Hale. Neither us or the Bullies will take a player the Hawks are willing to swap and will not be happy to accept a second round pick for either player. You would imagine that the Hawks compo pick and first rounder will need to be on the table to land both who would be in their plans for best 22.

Could be Haley staying at Arden St.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan O' Conner from Sandringham Dragons fully expects Ben Jacobs to go top 10 in the draft. If so, they means more quality slides.

Jayden Pitt looks very promising and seems to be the forgotten man a bit. Silk off both sides and we are crying out for another guy who can put it down the throat of Petrie and Hansen consistently. Looks pacey and has the ability to float forward and slot a few as well.

Jayden Pitt looks very promising and seems to be the forgotten man a bit. Silk off both sides and we are crying out for another guy who can put it down the throat of Petrie and Hansen consistently. Looks pacey and has the ability to float forward and slot a few as well.
Yeah, he could slide, and Emma Quale calls him a natural.

Her comments:

I don’t think top 10 for Jayden – maybe top 20. He is a very smart and instinctive player though, not unlike Fyfe in that way. A natural.

Yeah, he could slide, and Emma Quale calls him a natural.

Her comments:

I don’t think top 10 for Jayden – maybe top 20. He is a very smart and instinctive player though, not unlike Fyfe in that way. A natural.

Lot of respect for Emma's opinion, so I hope she's right with the slider call B Tron. Looks a very deep draft for midfielders this year and hopefully Pitt will still be around at our pick. the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Pitt is our man.

According to this link: http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draftorder/tabid/16748/default.aspx

the following teams have compo picks ahead of us.

Gold Coast Suns (Ablett)
C# Geelong Cats (Ablett)
C Brisbane Lions (Rischitelli)
C Richmond (Bock)

So, if all bar the suns use their compo's this draft, we get pushed back to pick 30.

Article in yesterday's West says other club recruiters believe the Eagles will go for one of Gaff, Heppell or Polec.

I'd be curious as to any thoughts on the key position prospects in this draft.

Given our goal to goal line is something like Grima, Thompson, Hansen and Petrie who are the next in line?

We seem to be veiwing Tarrant as a defender and we have Black in the wings as potential key forward. There's not much else (not sure where Kennedy fits in). We could find ourselves in a bind in a few years when Drew reaches the end if either or both of these two don't make it.

We obviously have a need for class ball use, but I also think a genuine KP prospect is just as pressing.

Given our goal to goal line is something like Grima, Thompson, Hansen and Petrie who are the next in line?

We seem to be veiwing Tarrant as a defender and we have Black in the wings as potential key forward. There's not much else (not sure where Kennedy fits in). We could find ourselves in a bind in a few years when Drew reaches the end if either or both of these two don't make it.

We obviously have a need for class ball use, but I also think a genuine KP prospect is just as pressing.

True. But O'Keefe could be an option at 193cm as he continues to put the weight on. I reckon there is enough there to suggest he may have a future.

Delaney is a potential key back, as is Taz, who can also go forward. O' Keefe and Black have potential as key forwards, as does Daw. Resting H and Goldy forward also relieves the immediate necessity to address this issue, as does having 3 medium marking targets in Edwards, Wazza and now McKinley.

Instead of taking a key position player in this draft I reckon we will address our midfield needs first and then, as Bon has indicated, we will take a look at a project ruck late in the draft. I would suspect that we will use our first picks in the next two drafts on key position players.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official 2010 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back