The Official 2011 Fremantle Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Umm ...

Fyfe was 2009, McKenzie was 2006.
Broughton was 2008, Wilkes was 2005.

You are better than that.

I'm comparing the player types if they were both available at the same time. Ignore when they were actually taken.

If it is that much of a struggle to do, try this; would you take a top level mid/flanker or a cod ordinary tall.

To me it seems that was the choice and thats why they chosewho they did.

Must admit kp junior that Sheriden is the one I have a question mark over as well. Has good endurance, but is not particularly quick and is not a consistently good kick and averages 14 possessions. Not exactly exhilarating. Have to wait till we see him play. Emma Q saw him as a possible selection at 16 so can't be all bad I guess.

Yes its funny, as the highest pick he should be the gun we are all most excited about

Frost apparently got annihilated in the final which put a big question mark over him. Too bad if he just had an offy

You'd hope his body of work previously held more sway but you never know.

On reading what I could pre-draft he was actually the one I wanted to hear us call out. Seems I was way off.

You are better than that.

I'm comparing the player types if they were both available at the same time. Ignore when they were actually taken.

If it is that much of a struggle to do, try this; would you take a top level mid/flanker or a cod ordinary tall.

To me it seems that was the choice and thats why they chosewho they did.

It's a disingenuous comparison - who would you rather, Chris Judd or Mitch Thorp?

Unless they're in the same draft year, the comparison is pointless.

I'm not suggesting the alternative opinion is stupid. In fact, I questioned it too, until I looked at the long list of talls left over and the high number of rookie picks we have.

My point is that questioning something, as you have, is reasonable. Throwing insults at a group of people simply because you don't understand what they are doing is dumb - George W Bush dumb. Particularly when the explanation is clear and was forecast when they said we needed inside mids.

Have a look at our list. Please tell me who is going to kick a winning score for us on a big ground in 2012 and beyond. We were the 4th lowest scoring team on 2011 and we do not seem to be drafting any Key Position forwards in draft after draft who will kick goals for us. From what some of the fans on here say, we dont need to because we trust in our Bond and recruitment team.

No doubt, they have chosen some excellent players Fyfe, Barlow and Silvagni. However, we have a very young list that was exposed badly last year that is full of undersized players who were not good enough at that stage to take the step up. Some players blossomed like Clarke, some were not only outmuscled but outclassed and have since been axed. But all through this we did not even look like kicking winning scores when our stars went down. When our Key Players like Pav, Elvis and 211 retire we are going to need fresh blood coming in.

You sure dont see teams that win flags get their Key position talent from the Rookie draft and it is not as if we get the benefit from the father/son rule. I sure hope that everyone is right and we find GOLD with some great KP Forwards in the rookie draft. Or are they going to go for the best available talent and leave our squad looking like the 7 dwarves up forward?:rolleyes:

You'd hope his body of work previously held more sway but you never know.

On reading what I could pre-draft he was actually the one I wanted to hear us call out. Seems I was way off.

I always remember watching Trinity Hanley play in a final after having having a brilliant home and a way season. He had an absolute shocker and it made we wonder if he was a very good player but just a fraction off top quality. Unfair maybe, but it did make me think.

It's a disingenuous comparison - who would you rather, Chris Judd or Mitch Thorp?

Rubbish. You're being obtuse.

Go for the second question if you can't view an example of a player type separate from when they were actually picked.

Top flight flanker/mid versus a very ordinary bigger guy?

Rubbish. You're being obtuse.

Go for the second question if you can't view an example of a player type separate from when they were actually picked.

Top flight flanker/mid versus a very ordinary bigger guy?
And yet you're completely ignoring structure. How many premiership teams have there been in the past decade that hasn't had at least one quality key defender or key forward?

Can you think of any? Now, take Pavlich and McPharlin out of Freo. Who do we have? Our best bet is Silvagni. Sorry, but Silvagni is not in Leppitsch, Glass, Fletcher or Scarlett's class. At the very least you probably need a strong key defensive set up, and we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ours long term.

Have a look at our list. Please tell me who is going to kick a winning score for us on a big ground in 2012 and beyond. We were the 4th lowest scoring team on 2011 and we do not seem to be drafting any Key Position forwards in draft after draft who will kick goals for us. From what some of the fans on here say, we dont need to because we trust in our Bond and recruitment team.

No doubt, they have chosen some excellent players Fyfe, Barlow and Silvagni. However, we have a very young list that was exposed badly last year that is full of undersized players who were not good enough at that stage to take the step up. Some players blossomed like Clarke, some were not only outmuscled but outclassed and have since been axed. But all through this we did not even look like kicking winning scores when our stars went down. When our Key Players like Pav, Elvis and 211 retire we are going to need fresh blood coming in.

You sure dont see teams that win flags get their Key position talent from the Rookie draft and it is not as if we get the benefit from the father/son rule. I sure hope that everyone is right and we find GOLD with some great KP Forwards in the rookie draft. Or are they going to go for the best available talent and leave our squad looking like the 7 dwarves up forward?:rolleyes:

Don't expect to get anything more than a solid KPP or two from the rookie draft. What I am hoping is that we can pick up some really talented talls in the next couple of uncompromised drafts. Our backline should be ok for a few years yet so I don't think we need to panic just yet. If they don't recruit talls next year I will go ape shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instead we have to bank on rookie/journeyman selections again. They're been pretty fruitless pursuits for mine - few more have come off than our strike rate in the national draft.

This is the same argument people raged with when we took Balla at 21 instead of Son Son. Then we ended up with him as well and it was all ok.

If we had taken Tunbridge, Manson and Frost with 29, 58 & 71 then everyone is happy.

You only see them as journeymen now because everyone has passed them over. We could still end up with both these guys and more, but if we'd taken them today you'd be stoked.

FFC said:
In summary
Fremantle has a balanced list and left the NAB AFL Draft with extra options in all areas of the ground. It used three of its picks on midfielders, one on a running defender and another - its second choice - on skilful forward Hayden Crozier, complementing the existing potential at the club.

What the recruiter said
"We're really happy with our group. We just look to take the best player and we did that with taking a half-forward, a tall back and a couple of midfielders, and we'll get Zac Dawson in the pre-season draft. The spread we've got has been pretty good." Fremantle list manager Brad Lloyd.

Pick 16: Tom Sheridan, Calder Cannons
Lloyd says: "It's good to get Tom with our first pick. He's got really nice endurance and moves really well. He's a nice, clean player so he was great to get."

Pick 20: Hayden Crozier, Eastern Ranges
Lloyd says: "He took just about the best mark I've ever seen watching any level of footy when he played Western Australia at Subiaco. It's a real bonus for us to get him."

Pick 29: Alex Forster, Norwood
Lloyd says: "Alex is an All Australian from South Australia. He's got really good elite kicking skills and really good leadership qualities, so he's a nice tall backman."

Pick 58: Lachie Neale, Glenelg
Lloyd says: "He's an inside midfielder from South Australia, and is a really good clearance player. He was really impressive through the year playing at senior level in the SANFL at Glenelg."

Pick 71: Cameron Sutcliffe, Woodville West Torrens
Lloyd says: "Cameron's a tall midfielder and has really good endurance and he finished off a night that we're really happy with."

Pick 72: Pass
Lloyd says: "We'll get Zac Dawson in the Pre-Season Draft with this pick."

Pick 83: Nick Lower, rookie upgrade
for fremantlefc.com.au

Freo Site

Interesting ...Clay don't read ;)

Good luck to all the new players. They are joining Freo at the right time!

I've seen 'The Mark' by Crozier, natch. I also saw Sheridan play once this year and was very impressed. The SA kids are unknown to me, but Chris25's comments give confidence that they may all turn into very decent players.

How they progress will depend on speed of adjustment to increased workloads and moving from home, as well as how coachable they are, selection opportunities and of course a bit of luck with avoiding injury.

A lot of the second guessing on here is ridiculous. I think there's room to recruit some key position players too, but surely it's prudent to refrain from judgements until the 2012 playing list is finalised. As others have stated it seems most clubs weren't overly impressed with the tall talent available this year. Time will tell if they were right and anyhow, it's not like freo were the only team to pass on some of those prospects. There's still a handful of spots to be filled in another week or so.

And yet you're completely ignoring structure. How many premiership teams have there been in the past decade that hasn't had at least one quality key defender or key forward?

Can you think of any? Now, take Pavlich and McPharlin out of Freo. Who do we have? Our best bet is Silvagni. Sorry, but Silvagni is not in Leppitsch, Glass, Fletcher or Scarlett's class. At the very least you probably need a strong key defensive set up, and we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ours long term.

If we take Tunbridge & Frost with 29 & 58 then we're not having this discussion. We could still get them plus more.

This is the same argument people raged with when we took Balla at 21 instead of Son Son. Then we ended up with him as well and it was all ok.

If we had taken Tunbridge, Manson and Frost with 29, 58 & 71 then everyone is happy.

You only see them as journeymen now because everyone has passed them over. We could still end up with both these guys and more, but if we'd taken them today you'd be stoked.

When I say journeymen I am talking about the Bradley/McPhee/Dawson/Faulks/Anthony picks, not rookie drafts. Tunbridge et al fall in the Sibosado/Shepheard categories - likely to never make it.

When I say journeymen I am talking about the Bradley/McPhee/Dawson/Faulks/Anthony picks, not rookie drafts. Tunbridge et al fall in the Sibosado/Shepheard categories - likely to never make it.

Then it seems the only thing you have a problem with is us not taking Kersten at 29? Instead we took an All Australian with elite kicking skills. I can handle another Mundy on the list.

Good luck to all the new players. They are joining Freo at the right time!

I've seen 'The Mark' by Crozier, natch. I also saw Sheridan play once this year and was very impressed. The SA kids are unknown to me, but Chris25's comments give confidence that they may all turn into very decent players.

How they progress will depend on speed of adjustment to increased workloads and moving from home, as well as how coachable they are, selection opportunities and of course a bit of luck with avoiding injury.

A lot of the second guessing on here is ridiculous. I think there's room to recruit some key position players too, but surely it's prudent to refrain from judgements until the 2012 playing list is finalised. As others have stated it seems most clubs weren't overly impressed with the tall talent available this year. Time will tell if they were right and anyhow, it's not like freo were the only team to pass on some of those prospects. There's still a handful of spots to be filled in another week or so.

think that's what we needed to hear about Sheridan.

Then it seems the only thing you have a problem with is us not taking Kersten at 29? Instead we took an All Australian with elite kicking skills. I can handle another Mundy on the list.
The delusion is strong in you, then.

I'd rather a fullback or centre half back than another Mundy. Or maybe a tall forward.

Hopefully Zac Dawson can be a swingman :)

Start with Black for Fyfe ...as Fyfe is nothing but a Crozier in draft terms.

Oh sorry, you guys would of taken Fyfe as you saw that glean in his eye and knew he was special.

Can't have it both ways - we are building a midfield which is going to have the skills and the run to be a very difficult match up.

The club obviously believe Kep, Pav, Dawson, McPharlin, SCOS, Sandi, Clarke and Anthony have enough in the tank to see us through a free agency raid/drafting period.

We will roll the die in the rookie draft.

The year we made the prelim, we were weaker in KP's than we are today.

The fact we have Pav and Kep forward is better than anything we put out there this year.

When you guys say hey I could live without Fyfe, then feel free to swing away at the other choices. If you somehow want both - well it is a tad inconsistent.

i'm pretty happy with the draft. we got a small defender and inside mid, which were needed. a young forward to develop who could be anything and a midfielder with our first pick who was rated, and that's enough for me.

i'm not too worried about not picking KPP. i don't know that lyon will persist with this 'throw everyone in the midfield' policy we had. he's at least implied that suban will go back to defence and with zac dawson and now forster, that looks like a solid defence alongside mcpharlin and silvagni. i can see MJ and pav played forward more too. if we pick up a tall forward in the rookie draft, i'd be happy to see what lyon does with that. we've got elite users of the ball in our team whose talents were squandered by poor teamwork. i think we've got most of the of the players, the rest will be a couple of good rookie picks and coaching.

Start with Black for Fyfe ...as Fyfe is nothing but a Crozier in draft terms.

Oh sorry, you guys would of taken Fyfe as you saw that glean in his eye and knew he was special.

Can't have it both ways - we are building a midfield which is going to have the skills and the run to be a very difficult match up.

The club obviously believe Kep, Pav, Dawson, McPharlin, SCOS, Sandi, Clarke and Anthony have enough in the tank to see us through a free agency raid/drafting period.

We will roll the die in the rookie draft.

The year we made the prelim, we were weaker in KP's than we are today.

The fact we have Pav and Kep forward is better than anything we put out there this year.

When you guys say hey I could live without Fyfe, then feel free to swing away at the other choices. If you somehow want both - well it is a tad inconsistent.

Of course you could live without Fyfe, Hill, et al. Geelong, Collingwood, etc have lived without Fyfe, won premierships without Fyfe. It's a team game. Fyfe racked up disposals in games we got thrashed in. So what's the big deal.

When it comes down to it, I look at the list Freo has assembled and can't for the life of discern a premiership team in the medium term. We better be banking on free agency filling holes, because we're murdering the draft.

I question the competency of Chris Bond. Chases Clark heavily through the trade table, can't make the deal, then the footy department completely baulks at getting any promising young talls. What's the deal here? If a tall in Clark was a need, then why hasn't that need in some way (any way) been addressed at the draft.

Freo fans will want to whitewash this as usual, but expect to watch more poor transitions into the forward line and when Silvagni/McPharlin is injured, more thrashings defensively with Grover having to play small and tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official 2011 Fremantle Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back