The Official 2011 Fremantle Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why the hysterical reaction. The way we drafted is hardly surprising. I can understand wanting talls, and Geelong taking Kersten makes me think we should have taken him, but the facts are that very few talls work out at the picks we had. No point taking Bosely or Frost or Tunbridge for the sake of it.

I think the club might have adopted some sort of "moneyball" approach to KPP ... Get them to jump ship in trade/PSD/free agency, or draft mature agers in rookie draft.

I'm not overly excited about any of our picks, but I don't think that was ever going to be te case going through all the draft profiles prior to the draft.

Of course you could live without Fyfe, Hill, et al. Geelong, Collingwood, etc have lived without Fyfe, won premierships without Fyfe. It's a team game. Fyfe racked up disposals in games we got thrashed in. So what's the big deal..

The big deal is Fyfe is special.

C'Wood, Geelong, Carlton all have that player who can do the impossible and lift the team....they are few and far between and to get him at 20 is even better.

Tell me whatis more important to Geelong & Collingwood - their midfield or their forward line?

In your scenario does Fyfe or Black get us closer? Black does not appear to be Cloke to me?

In fact do Dawes and Cloke look good because Colling wood are so friccin dominant or because they are such top line players?

When it comes down to it, I look at the list Freo has assembled and can't for the life of discern a premiership team in the medium term. We better be banking on free agency filling holes, because we're murdering the draft.

Murdering the draft...we have outperformed most clubs in the past few years in the ND and Rookie Draft.

Plus why can't we be relying on Free Agency? - it should work in our favour.

You appear to be suggesting drafting by tape measure mainly because it will make you feel better.

I'd rather the club go for a flag, rather than put together the most competitive team and finish 3-8 for the next few years.

You want a flag - guys like Hill, Mora, Fyfe, Barlow, Ballantyne all need to fire to their full potential and meet the likes of Mundy, Sandi and Pav.

I question the competency of Chris Bond. Chases Clark heavily through the trade table, can't make the deal, then the footy department completely baulks at getting any promising young talls. What's the deal here? If a tall in Clark was a need, then why hasn't that need in some way (any way) been addressed at the draft.

If a ready to go fully matured KP forward in Clark was our aim, why didn't we go for a 18 year old key forward?

If Patton had slipped we would of, they obviously rated midfield strength high and KP talent average.

If this is true - they made the right call, just like Fyfe over Black.

Freo fans will want to whitewash this as usual, but expect to watch more poor transitions into the forward line and when Silvagni/McPharlin is injured, more thrashings defensively with Grover having to play small and tall.

Sorry for having an opinion contrary to yours.

Plus if SCOS and McPharlin are injured, Grover gets a little help from Dawson and Faulkes does he not?

Plus if some of these dwarves play midfield, our backline looks a heap better with Broughton back.

Plus last time I looked midfields that win the ball with high kicking efficiency tend to transition OK

I never said sub 180cm onballers were impossible, I'm just saying they're the exception.

Peter Bell was drafted in 1994 by the way and retired 3 full seasons ago. Maybe for most of the 90s you could be his size but more recently it's becoming more rare.

Greg williams? Luke power? Josh Carr?

Seriously, thats without thinking. Let it go.

Neale is a ball winner and if he's not in the mids he will be in the wafl.

Not sure why the hysterical reaction. The way we drafted is hardly surprising. I can understand wanting talls, and Geelong taking Kersten makes me think we should have taken him, but the facts are that very few talls work out at the picks we had. No point taking Bosely or Frost or Tunbridge for the sake of it.

I think the club might have adopted some sort of "moneyball" approach to KPP ... Get them to jump ship in trade/PSD/free agency, or draft mature agers in rookie draft.

I'm not overly excited about any of our picks, but I don't think that was ever going to be te case going through all the draft profiles prior to the draft.

For some reason Forster at 29 puts a downer on the draft for me atm. Markworth was still around, Kersten also and some other good players. Forster hasn't done that much year and only averaged 15 touches a game in the under 18 champs + we got plenty of HB flankers. I don't know what we were thinking overlooking Shane Nelson, Tunbridge even Manson with our later picks. Stoked with Sheridan and Crozier though! The draft certainly didn't pan out the way I though it would.

All this talk of overlooking kersten as a KPP...he is 191cm is he not?? hardly a KPP height i wouldnt have thought. Darling same deal, he is 191cm. Mora, Mundy & Barlow are that height- does that mean they are key position?

i dont understand why everyone is losing their sh*t about not drafting kersten, he will probably end up playing HFF anyway, just like the players we drafted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well... I gotta admit I was a little annoyed, at first, that we didn't pick up any KP players or any WA lads. Then I realised that maybe the KPP / WA lads aren't that great talent-wise or just weren't available at the picks we had (i.e. We didn't rate them highly, if at all).

I also have the distinct feeling that Geelong picked Kersten because he wanted to be in Melbourne (prob cos he's originally a Vic?), and because they needed to replace Daniel Menzel next year (due to his knee injury).

Also... If Pav is a KPF why did he play as a mid last year and in 2010? Is it due to bad coaching? Or, not enough mids? Or, perhaps Freo are veering away from KPP to avoid the multiple matchups that happen on dangerous tall forwards? I'm no expert... but maybe they do have a plan (just not a public one). :confused:

For all the talk about Collingwood and Geelong getting good talls they generally didn't come through a normal draft scenario and certainly not with late picks:

Tarrant had to be traded back as a defender
Mooney was traded for
Cloke was father-son
Hawkins was father-son
Jolly was traded for
Cam Wood was traded for
Otten was traded for
Ben Reid cost pick 8
Pods was a mature rookie

I guess Dawes is the exception but how many talls have not made it around him.

For all the talk about Collingwood and Geelong getting good talls they generally didn't come through a normal draft scenario and certainly not with late picks:

Mooney was traded for
Cloke was father-son
Hawkins was father-son
Jolly was traded for
Cam Wood was traded for
Otten was traded for
Ben Reid cost pick 8
Pods was a mature rookie

Shh, don't spout logic. ;)

Yes and you wouldnt be trolling Lachie Neale if he had been drafted by any other club. Pretty annoying but expected so why not just eff off.

I have a lot of friends who are Fremantle fans and since you're the other team in town I take a greater interest. I think it's normal.

Having said that, a few of you are getting upset so I'll leave it here.

I have a lot of friends who are Fremantle fans and since you're the other team in town I take a greater interest. I think it's normal.

Having said that, a few of you are getting upset so I'll leave it here.

Don't be so sensitive Jimmy, stay and annoy us some more ;)

So is Pav..

na 192cm...

lawyered

Oi nar, Pav is old so naturally he'll be shrinking next year, to say 191.

Oh and, Kersten's only 18, is it not inconceivable that he might have another cm in him? Or he could just spike his hair?

In short, I rest my case.

Thank you.

But seriously, all the top 4 teams have multiple talls in their fwd line capable of kicking between 30-80 goals each. Until we start drafting to be anywhere near in line with this we'll be severely lacking in scoring power. Look no further than the Season total score tallies, the average score per team per game stats and the goal kicking leaderboards for each teams.

Mooney was traded for
Cloke was father-son
Hawkins was father-son
Jolly was traded for
Cam Wood was traded for
Otten was traded for
Ben Reid cost pick 8
Pods was a mature rookie

Exactly. You could add Harry Taylor to the list, but he was a reasonably early pick and a mature age player. Tarrant was drafted at #8 as well. Can add in Nathan Brown ... again a top 10 pick. Scarlett was a F/S.

Some people (e.g. Clay) refuse to realise that the draft is not a good option for picking talls, unless you have a top 10-15 pick. You might snare a good one later, but the odds are heavily stacked against you.

Better off trading for one after you have worked out they can play (or waiting till they are older like Silvagni and can make a better assessment of their abilities). Or rookie them and give them a few years to develop. I'm sure we will add a few in the rookie draft and hope for the best, but I'm sure they will mostly go the way of Mourish, Houghton, Murphy, Campbell, Shepperd, Polak and Sibosado. People act like we don't draft KPP ... but we have tried, and we have failed miserably. I'd say they have learnt their lesson.

Most sides only really have 2-3 genuinely good talls, if that. You can have all the average KPP you like, but the strike rate for good ones is around 4-5 each draft pool, including top picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official 2011 Fremantle Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back