The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Healy was positive with his view on Voss as coach moving forward..said he still had he guys playing for him. Spud agreed.

There's a few with those thoughts now. Dermie and Tiny Shaw pretty much endorsed vossie a few weeks back.

They are all finally catching on to what we have known for some time. That is vossie is doing ok developing the group. They are young and improving. No alternative out there either.

Docherty 7 games, Harwood 34 games, Lisle 16 games, Goldby 32 games, Yeo 20 games, Lester 31 games, Clarke 8 games...... makes your mouth water doesn't it !!!!

Yep! And I can't wait until we see them all traded for more picks in the trade thread!

Docherty 7 games, Harwood 34 games, Lisle 16 games, Goldby 32 games, Yeo 20 games, Lester 31 games, Clarke 8 games...... makes your mouth water doesn't it !!!!

Delicious, isn't it! Oh no, sorry, Bruce only reserves that compliment for Melbourne teams.

But yes, it is good!!

Lester looks at home as an inside midfielder. Isnt too far off being part of the 3 R's in terms of importance to our midfield.

Especially considering he has really only played a handful of games in the midfield at AFL level but starting to look like he belongs there.

Browny showed he's still dangerous as a forward. Against a decent back 6 he played very well.

Was doing a bit of analysis last night of the lower teams on the ladder - was very interesting what came up.

Don't have results in front of me, but Melbourne asking for priority picks, have 3 or 4 players who are pick 1-3. Gold coast and GWS have 6+ in that bracket. All the other clubs at the bottom have at least 1. We have zero. We have Polec at 5, and Rich at 7 (i think), then a couple of 8s. Nothing huge. Our list in general is one of the lowest value (in terms of draft picks used to draft) around.

With how well we're doing, how promising the team is looking... it really makes you understand the alternative pathways that we've taken to get where we are, and see what the club is trying to do. Made me quite impressed at Vossy and the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll throw in Leuenberger at 4, for sake of completeness.
Ah, yes. Forgot about him... he's on my spreadsheet at home... but i'm at work, so don't have it here.

I was just stunned to see it. I had it grouped 1-3, 4-7, 8-10, 11-20, 20-30, 30-50, etc... and we really have so little in those first few categories compared to other teams... it makes me wonder where on the ladder we'd be if it wasn't for GC & GWS draft concessions... with our player development, and access to earlier picks... it'd be amazing.

Ah, yes. Forgot about him... he's on my spreadsheet at home... but i'm at work, so don't have it here.

I was just stunned to see it. I had it grouped 1-3, 4-7, 8-10, 11-20, 20-30, 30-50, etc... and we really have so little in those first few categories compared to other teams... it makes me wonder where on the ladder we'd be if it wasn't for GC & GWS draft concessions... with our player development, and access to earlier picks... it'd be amazing.

I agree. I did a calculation of what picks we would've had over the last few years if it wasn't for GWS and GC and who they likely would've been... it worked out that we'd probably have kids like Gaff (2010 pick 4, instead of trading up to pick 5), Tyson (2011 pick 3, instead of pick 8) and Toumpas (2012 pick 4, instead of pick 8), even disregarding the various concessions taking kids out of the draft pool.

Nope, Brennan won the first and Ablett won it in the fourth one at Mertipong last year. Thought Hudson deserved it, threw his body around in the last quarter like Voss in the '02 Granny.

Just a bit of a reflection on where we have come with a bunch of our less experienced players. I am seeing more signs of guys who can not just cut it at AFL level but can have long careers. There might be quite a few 100 gamers in this lot and a handful of 200 gamers.

Golby: looks every bit like he belongs now. Still some weaknesses in his disposal by foot but no reason to think he won't improve.

Yeo: once he learns to use that pace to greater effect he will be a damaging player for us. A couple more preseasons are going to help his development. Looks to be a really exciting player.

Clarke: what a pickup he might prove to be. Really seems like developing into our next tall defender. Even at this early stage, still rough around the edges and inexperienced he just seems to have the attitude and smarts you need in a tall defender.

Mayes: looks very very classy. With increasing experience and confidence he may develop into one of the best in the whole league at setting up the play from deep with quality passing.

Lester: it will be interesting to see how far he can take his development. He wasn't one I would have initially picked as having a long career as some of the others but now he is looking like one of the really tough midfielders that every club needs.

That's just five who come to mind and who I think will be around for a few years to come.

We have a very impressive list......it will only be due to total mismanagement if this group don't progress to finals imo.

..and I can't see that happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back