The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can still remember Tony Ongarello doing a place kick.
My mum who went to plenty of Fitzroy games with dad in the mid to late fifties and early sixties talks about Onga' and his place kick. I seem to remember her saying he was missing a few in front of goals so he turned to the place kick out of frustration.
EDIT: Yep. Here's the link - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ongarello

Yep, the Super League war turned me off RL and the Lions were starting to show something so I went along to my first live game in 1999 IIRC and loved it I then went to a game v Collingwood in 2000 when Vossy kicked that long torpedo goal and the rest is history.

I am so proud.
It was Super League that did it for me too.
Been following the Afl ever since. And our Mighty Brisbane Lions.

Or for the really keen, junior junior junior memberships are available at conception.
Do you offer pet memberships? My dog is about 52 in dog years...

Do you offer pet memberships? My dog is about 52 in dog years...
DOG! I trust it's not a Bulldog. I suppose for a man of your standing it could be arranged, but it would be so much easier if you had a pet Lion.

45 this year unfortunately.
Junior Associate Membership Papers are in the post. If you are 45 now that means you were 14 or so when Micky Conlan kicked the winning goal against Essendon in the 1986 Elimination Final. If you can remember that then you are in. If you can't because your memory is fading, here it is again.

#thecliquewithwisdom

Last edited:
Does 40 qualify for junior associate? I went to every game in 86... I remember 86 elimination, 1st semi and prelim final when we kicked the first 3 goals. I thought this was it. I also remember it as it was my hero, Bernie Quinlans, last game of footy. Pretty sure one of our guys - reeves got knocked out and it was his wedding day - flown outby helicopter (could be wrong on that though! ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does 40 qualify for junior associate? I went to every game in 86... I remember 86 elimination, 1st semi and prelim final when we kicked the first 3 goals. I thought this was it. I also remember it as it was my hero, Bernie Quinlans, last game of footy. Pretty sure one of our guys - reeves got knocked out and it was his wedding day - flown outby helicopter (could be wrong on that though! ).

This is the first time people have wanted to be older since they were 17 and trying to get into a pub.

For those in their early 30's that don't wanna listen to the cast of Cocoon all day, you're free to join me for lunch for an Acai Superfood bowl and some smashed avo and talk about more recent highlights like the much hyped debut of Sam Sheldon etc :D

For those seeking pet membership of the Over 50's clique, here is your conversion table. Of course, we will require proof of age before accepting any applications.
dog_age_05.jpg

Sounds about right. I'm around the same age, so again miss out another BF clique. I also went to practically every Melbourne game in 86 and have good memories of being a member at Victoria Park donning my duffle coat with Mickey 12 Conlan on the back in alternating colours of blue, red and yellow with a big yellow no12 on the back and on the pockets had Paul 1 Roos and Gary 3 Pert. One of my biggest regrets in life is that I have no idea whatever happened to that duffle coat or my large Lions flag which came with me everywhere.

It is such a shame you don't see fans with flags like you did back then. Aside from massive cheer squads, there were so many flags in the crowds and pockets of flags and the likes about the size of our current cheer squad throughout the ground. I remember there were 3-4 Fitzroy fans that had these massive regal type Fitzroy flags that I just loved, not sure that quite describes those flags.

Anyways, in regards to the 86 season, IIRC, we played Sydney at VIC Park in the last round and needed a win to qualify for the finals which we did by 10 points if memory serves. At that time, the Swans were a formidable outfit so it was a solid win. Obviously the finals wins over Essendon and Sydney again at the MCG we're both tough wins particularly the Sydney win which isn't spoken of like the memorable win over Essendon the previous week. Sadly we were pretty cooked by the time we faced Hawthorn at VFL Park in the prelim and I recall sitting in the outer and it being a pretty warm day and without Quinlan we weren't ever in it and again the Hawks were a professional unit that methodically beat us.

Good time as a young fella.

You're in - come visit the thread in The Den. Feel free to get nostalgic.

For those seeking pet membership of the Over 50's clique, here is your conversion table. Of course, we will require proof of age before accepting any applications.
dog_age_05.jpg

Pffft that chart is obviously in league with "Big Dog".

Sounds about right. I'm around the same age, so again miss out another BF clique. I also went to practically every Melbourne game in 86 and have good memories of being a member at Victoria Park donning my duffle coat with Mickey 12 Conlan on the back in alternating colours of blue, red and yellow with a big yellow no12 on the back and on the pockets had Paul 1 Roos and Gary 3 Pert. One of my biggest regrets in life is that I have no idea whatever happened to that duffle coat or my large Lions flag which came with me everywhere.

It is such a shame you don't see fans with flags like you did back then. Aside from massive cheer squads, there were so many flags in the crowds and pockets of flags and the likes about the size of our current cheer squad throughout the ground. I remember there were 3-4 Fitzroy fans that had these massive regal type Fitzroy flags that I just loved, not sure that quite describes those flags.

Anyways, in regards to the 86 season, IIRC, we played Sydney at VIC Park in the last round and needed a win to qualify for the finals which we did by 10 points if memory serves. At that time, the Swans were a formidable outfit so it was a solid win. Obviously the finals wins over Essendon and Sydney again at the MCG we're both tough wins particularly the Sydney win which isn't spoken of like the memorable win over Essendon the previous week. Sadly we were pretty cooked by the time we faced Hawthorn at VFL Park in the prelim and I recall sitting in the outer and it being a pretty warm day and without Quinlan we weren't ever in it and again the Hawks were a professional unit that methodically beat us.

Good time as a young fella.
You have an automatic Junior Associate Membership Dylan12. We can't have you being Clique-less

I hope there is no upper age limit. I could be in trouble. Or in a very, very exclusive clique.
That might be an honour bestowed on Len S, but I could be wrong there.

I was there as a 15 yo. When Micky kicked that goal some bloke behind me grabbed my flag and broke the stick because it was stuck between the wooden seats. I think dad bought me a cheeseburger and small fries at Maccas on the way home. Good times. Junior Associate Membership?
You're so "in"

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back