The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That might be an honour bestowed on Len S, but I could be wrong there.
How deferential,a few in our family may be contesting that honour! I can remember my dad yelling, " a point will do us Baron, "when scores were level in the 52 semi against Carlton,we were on the fence,and I'm sure Alan Ruthven,our skipper and brownlow medallist heard ,and obligingly kicked the winning point.I did hear Len Smith address the team ,as Barassi says,the greatest coach and thinker, the most persuasive style of speaking,never ranted.I spotted for the Lions in the early 80s while living in Perth,where Kevin Murray and Ron Alexander were champions of my team there East Perth.I recall recommending Leon Baker,and we took Dean Turner,probably cost a premiership...or two.Mum followed the Pies and dad's side was Fitzroy, then Normie Johnston delivered our wood and ice, that decided matters,toughest,and one of the most skilful players I saw. The best was Superboot.Could do anything and play anywhere.Cheers....am I in,or what.

How deferential,a few in our family may be contesting that honour! I can remember my dad yelling, " a point will do us Baron, "when scores were level in the 52 semi against Carlton,we were on the fence,and I'm sure Alan Ruthven,our skipper and brownlow medallist heard ,and obligingly kicked the winning point.I did hear Len Smith address the team ,as Barassi says,the greatest coach and thinker, the most persuasive style of speaking,never ranted.I spotted for the Lions in the early 80s while living in Perth,where Kevin Murray and Ron Alexander were champions of my team there East Perth.I recall recommending Leon Baker,and we took Dean Turner,probably cost a premiership...or two.Mum followed the Pies and dad's side was Fitzroy, then Normie Johnston delivered our wood and ice, that decided matters,toughest,and one of the most skilful players I saw. The best was Superboot.Could do anything and play anywhere.Cheers....am I in,or what.
In? We might make you PRESIDENT! Moving this to the thread in the Den.

I well qualify. As a 13 year old farm kid, went to the last grand final at Adelaide Oval. Glenelg beat North by a goal in a game where 40 were kicked.

More importantly, I saw Bob Marley at Thebarton basketball stadium in 1974.

Was that at Windy Hill?

Can't remember to be honest. Might have been at Brunswick St Oval or Princess Hill
My mum who went to plenty of Fitzroy games with dad in the mid to late fifties and early sixties talks about Onga' and his place kick. I seem to remember her saying he was missing a few in front of goals so he turned to the place kick out of frustration.
EDIT: Yep. Here's the link - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ongarello

I think that's right.

It is such a shame you don't see fans with flags like you did back then. Aside from massive cheer squads, there were so many flags in the crowds and pockets of flags and the likes about the size of our current cheer squad throughout the ground. I remember there were 3-4 Fitzroy fans that had these massive regal type Fitzroy flags that I just loved, not sure that quite describes those flags.

Good time as a young fella.

The Flag was the Royal Standard - English version.

Great memories reading this. I am another under 50, Ripper is the closest to my vintage from those brave enough to mention ages.

The funny thing is over the times being discussed, if you went regularly you did get to know most of the supporters. May not have been long conversations, if any at all but it was the same faces week in week out. I have no doubt that there would many here that I would have seen on a regular basis during those days.

Can't remember to be honest. Might have been at Brunswick St Oval or Princess Hill

I think that's right.
It's a long time ago My memory was being at Essendon when he tried the place kick for the last time. It missed.
He was a great mark but a shocker of a kick no matter what he tried.

Sounds about right. I'm around the same age, so again miss out another BF clique. I also went to practically every Melbourne game in 86 and have good memories of being a member at Victoria Park donning my duffle coat with Mickey 12 Conlan on the back in alternating colours of blue, red and yellow with a big yellow no12 on the back and on the pockets had Paul 1 Roos and Gary 3 Pert. One of my biggest regrets in life is that I have no idea whatever happened to that duffle coat or my large Lions flag which came with me everywhere.

It is such a shame you don't see fans with flags like you did back then. Aside from massive cheer squads, there were so many flags in the crowds and pockets of flags and the likes about the size of our current cheer squad throughout the ground. I remember there were 3-4 Fitzroy fans that had these massive regal type Fitzroy flags that I just loved, not sure that quite describes those flags.

Anyways, in regards to the 86 season, IIRC, we played Sydney at VIC Park in the last round and needed a win to qualify for the finals which we did by 10 points if memory serves. At that time, the Swans were a formidable outfit so it was a solid win. Obviously the finals wins over Essendon and Sydney again at the MCG we're both tough wins particularly the Sydney win which isn't spoken of like the memorable win over Essendon the previous week. Sadly we were pretty cooked by the time we faced Hawthorn at VFL Park in the prelim and I recall sitting in the outer and it being a pretty warm day and without Quinlan we weren't ever in it and again the Hawks were a professional unit that methodically beat us.

Good time as a young fella.
I played in the little league grand final that day( v hawks) for Fitzroy. Chris Scott played was in same team. Lost by a goal to the bombers. Winners got to be a part of the Grand final parade and guest appearance on junior supporters club.(remember that show) Good times indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Junior Associate Membership Papers are in the post. If you are 45 now that means you were 14 or so when Micky Conlan kicked the winning goal against Essendon in the 1986 Elimination Final. If you can remember that then you are in. If you can't because your memory is fading, here it is again.

#thecliquewithwisdom

I was 16 at the time and we were at the game. Good old micky hardly had a kick all day. "OH MICKEY YOUR SO FINE, YOUR SO FINE YOU BLOW MY MIND HEY MICKEY". Fondest memories were always at the junction oval sitting in the white grandstand behind the goals at the scoreboard end. Sat in same spot all the time. Fondest game that sticks in my mind was at Princess Park playing Collingwood when Perty put the pies in front down the scoreboard end and someone had kicked a goal for us to put us back in front but we had no idea who it was as we were so far away. Only getting into the car we found out it was roosy. What a game and a thrill that day was.

Quick update on my son's umpire careers
Both have now umpired over 120 games in just their 3rd season
Eldest son will umpire his first senior game on Saturday, albeit a reserves match
Both will umpire a Seniors Women's football match together on Sunday
One very proud father

Eldest son will umpire his first senior game on Saturday, albeit a reserves match
One very proud father
That's brilliant....tell them we will be cheering for the umpires on this occassion!

I was 16 at the time and we were at the game. Good old micky hardly had a kick all day. "OH MICKEY YOUR SO FINE, YOUR SO FINE YOU BLOW MY MIND HEY MICKEY". Fondest memories were always at the junction oval sitting in the white grandstand behind the goals at the scoreboard end. Sat in same spot all the time. Fondest game that sticks in my mind was at Princess Park playing Collingwood when Perty put the pies in front down the scoreboard end and someone had kicked a goal for us to put us back in front but we had no idea who it was as we were so far away. Only getting into the car we found out it was roosy. What a game and a thrill that day was.
Thanks for the ear worm.. not.

Last edited:
One very proud father

As a dutiful parent I hope you're out there every week, booing them from the sideline. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back