The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That Archer Reid pick was the pivotal one, West Coast took him one pick before us at pick 30.

From what I remember we were open to taking either Archer Reid or Logan Morris, with Archer Reid sort of preferred. Once he was taken, we went with Logan. Couldn't be more happier right now.
Other way around - Morris ended up being preferred of the two but by such a small margin the call was literally only made just beforehand, before it turned out to be academic.

I don't think Logan Morris was on WCE radar iirc?

I think we just wanted any Reid possible last year

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
No idea about WCE's preferences, purely talking about the Lions' draft list. Heading into Day 2, it was:
  1. Morris
  2. Reid (they went back and forth several times during the day as to which they preferred apparently)
  3. Lloyd

Hoyney from CD was talking up Wilmot today,is around 50 for top ranked players.Was his opinion he could move into the middle 12-18 months.Could make sense with Kiddy back and possibly an ever improving Brain or Beecken to come in
ive been saying this for 12 months. with berry moving inside im unsure if it makes sense. we will already be trying to shoehorn too many inside mids into the side next year. wilmot is a gun back flanker and COULD be a gun mid, whereas guys like berry, ashcroft x2 and clug are guys you want around the ball more often than not.

ive been saying this for 12 months. with berry moving inside im unsure if it makes sense. we will already be trying to shoehorn too many inside mids into the side next year. wilmot is a gun back flanker and COULD be a gun mid, whereas guys like berry, ashcroft x2 and clug are guys you want around the ball more often than not.

Next year is gunna suck for fages. He’s going to have 30 guys he wants to pick every week at this rate.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us petition the AFL to have 10 on the bench next year.

Next year is gunna suck for fages. He’s going to have 30 guys he wants to pick every week at this rate.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us petition the AFL to have 10 on the bench next year.
would be glad to see the back of the sub rule if only for supercoach. bane of my existence

Or field 2 teams in AFL. Brisbane and Brisbane-A. 20 players a side, 16 on ground - 4 in bench, no sub, no wingsx2 (we don't use wings anyway, overrated).

We'll pin our ears back and go full pelt all 4 quarters - anyone/anywhere/anytime - take them all on Fages !

Same with everyone talking up Fletcher going inside. Not everyone can or should go inside, when we have a player who looks like they are embracing a role in the team we dont have to look to move them straight away

Same with everyone talking up Fletcher going inside. Not everyone can or should go inside, when we have a player who looks like they are embracing a role in the team we dont have to look to move them straight away
Fletcher remains on the wing for the short to medium term imo.
Would be another couple of years before we see him move inside a little more.

How bloody great is some of our young talent coming through, all looking best 22 locks already >

Logan Morris, 19 years old.
Will Ashcroft, 20.
Jaspa Fletcher, 20.
Darcy Wilmot, 20.
Kai Lohmann, 21.

Not as young but new to the AFL Bruce Reville at 23 years of age and still has 7-8+ years in him. The other young guy I am extremely bullish on who hasn't even debuted yet is 20 year old Shadeau Brain.

Plus a lot of good to very good players in Keidean Coleman, Cam Rayner, Jack Payne, Zac Bailey, Noah Answerth, Brandon Starcevich, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Eric Hipwood all 24 to 26 years old so just starting the peak of their careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How bloody great is some of our young talent coming through, all looking best 22 locks already >

Will Ashcroft, 20.
Jaspa Fletcher, 20.
Darcy Wilmot, 20.
Kai Lohmann, 21.

Not as young but new to the AFL Bruce Reville at 23 years of age and still has 7-8+ years in him. The other young guy I am extremely bullish on who hasn't even debuted yet is 20 year old Shadeau Brain.

Plus a lot of good to very good players in Keidean Coleman, Cam Rayner, Jack Payne, Zac Bailey, Noah Answerth, Brandon Starcevich, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Eric Hipwood all 24 to 26 years old so just starting the peak of their careers.
Shadeau has debuted, albeit as the sub in both his games. But defiinitely another on the list of exciting talent!

Will Ashcroft, 20.
Jaspa Fletcher, 20.
Darcy Wilmot, 20.
Kai Lohmann, 21.

I have a feeling, that Beecken and McLaughlin are going to God pick-ups as well.

They have tasted failure, in not been drafted and have gone away and worked on their craft.

Getting a second chance, I believe they will not let us down.

Sneaky Sneaky ladder climbers

Could be a dangerous side in September.

Toughened by then

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Perhaps; a Hawks win and we maintain our 13th position which we’ve occupied for some time, however, teams outside the top two keep losing and there’ll only be 8 points between third and thirteenth. We’d have to be the best team to be sitting in thirteenth for sometime though.

Perhaps; a Hawks win and we maintain our 13th position which we’ve occupied for some time, however, teams outside the top two keep losing and there’ll only be 8 points between third and thirteenth. We’d have to be the best team to be sitting in thirteenth for sometime though.

Yep, fine with it. Dogs staying below us in ladder would've been nice but Freo losing is more important depending on how things pan out down the track.

We have some absolute quality mids/flankers developing for the future in Ashcroft, Wilmot, Fletcher & Lohmann. No doubt about that plus Levi & Marshall to join next year and Annable the year after.

Adding a taller type in Logan Morris to the mix makes me much more bullish for the future. He might be undersized for a KPF in the modern game but with his strong hands and overall skill set he looks like he will be an absolute weapon as a key target up forward. 11 goals in his first 6 games. Loving the signs he is showing.

I am excited for what Reville, Sharp & Brain have shown at AFL level/are showing in the VFL currently as well and Henry Smith, Luke Lloyd & Reece Torrent show promise. Very early days but McLachlan & Beecken are showing plenty in their first couple of VFL appearances.

Will all of the above names develop into future A or even B graders? No. Do I feel like we have a quality young group developing ready in the next 2-3 years to take over from the core talent of our 2019-current team including Zorko, Neale, Rich, Charlie, Lyons, Lester, Linc & Joe? Absolutely. Especially with Clug, Dunkley, Andrews, Hipwood, Berry, Rayner, Starc, Kiddy, Bailey ect. becoming the older group supporting them.

Fagan mentioned when he arrived he wanted to develop us into a strong club akin to Sydney & Geelong who continually build & develop players to maintain a long-term, competitive list for sustained finals appearances and you can really see that starting to bear fruit even with our struggles this season.

Bigfooty searching “Logan Morris” and reading posts from about 50% of the club boards on bigfooty about how good he is and how people regret not drafting him is an exercise in joy.

Been a shaky season but our young players emerging has been exciting.

Bigfooty searching “Logan Morris” and reading posts from about 50% of the club boards on bigfooty about how good he is and how people regret not drafting him is an exercise in joy.

Reading all of the Dees supporters lose their minds warms my heart

Decided to do the search. I wasn't disappointed. Bless you my friend.

Decided to do the search. I wasn't disappointed. Bless you my friend.

Post in thread '2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]' https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...w-dawson-hardeman-maley.1371742/post-81376051

Sphynx on North Melbourne’s board is a prophet:

“Morris will be an excellent AFL footballer and a real bargain if in the mid 20's or 30's.

He just has a few qualities that get you a long way in the game.

He's an elite contested mark and has excellent forward craft, he knows how to position himself, he knows how to use his body. His movement and agility is underrated also. Larkey was the same when we drafted him, he's a natural forward, it circumvents athleticism and size alot of the time.

Jack Gunston went at Pick 29 because of some similar criticism, I feel like Morris is a similar type. Morris is 1cm shorter than Gunston.

You might argue, his type of KPF is perfectly suited as the second key forward in the modern game that the best sides seem to operate around 1 200cm forward only.

I think he'd do really well next to Larkey and with George, Sheezel, Curtis etc.

I'd have no hesitation taking him with Pick 19, once it's pushed out to Pick 25 or 26.”

Post in thread '2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]' https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...w-dawson-hardeman-maley.1371742/post-81376051

“Morris will be an excellent AFL footballer and a real bargain if in the mid 20's or 30's.

He's an elite contested mark and has excellent forward craft, he knows how to position himself, he knows how to use his body. His movement and agility is underrated also. Larkey was the same when we drafted him, he's a natural forward, it circumvents athleticism and size alot of the time.

Jack Gunston went at Pick 29 because of some similar criticism, I feel like Morris is a similar type. Morris is 1cm shorter than Gunston.

You might argue, his type of KPF is perfectly suited as the second key forward in the modern game that the best sides seem to operate around 1 200cm forward only.

I think he'd do really well next to Larkey and with George, Sheezel, Curtis etc.

I'd have no hesitation taking him with Pick 19, once it's pushed out to Pick 25 or 26.”

Also nothing is better than a cheeky Jack Gunston’s comparison. It was made to be.

Pretty sure Sphynx is a current or ex recruiter. He has access to all the preseason testing and National and State combine testing data, which includes all the biometric measures they do at the national combine. There's another North Melbourne scout also on the North board as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back