Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, climate change (what’s it supposed to do, stay the same?) advocates in Aus want to tax, penalise, restrict, ban etc our citizens when we cannot change the overall in a meaningful way.
To that they will say (on their child labour driven iPhones), that doesn’t mean we should do nothing.
To that I would say if you really cared you’d be over protesting and proselytising in Asia and Africa.

Now back to work you lazy little Congolese minor miners!
I saw some discussion about Canada’s emissions reduction plans and apparently despite the damage, increased costs, loss of food production it’s a bargain and the right thing to do. Never mind that china’s increase in the next year will outstrip Canada’s reductions for the next 30 years combined 😳🤯. Now if you run those figures on us it’s even worse so yep go to town and keep running with China and India as developing countries who get a free pass.

this add is running under our post 😳 what the hell is the purpose of that green thing, practice ?

Thank you for all the contributions in here, genuinely enjoy the Roundtable discussions.

Just picked up this book by a brilliant gay man, will report back with his thoughts on the future.

View attachment 1778344
There's some weeds growing on the stairs of that castle, chief

Yeah I'm probably not communicating it effectively.

If we were in the US my interpretation of the situation might be different, because the US has a much more conservative and reactionary polity. All of these issues are a bigger problem over there.

But here my point is about trajectory. In social/economic change momentum is important. On all these things except racism the momentum is in the positive direction. Progress on women's rights is flattening off a bit because we're up to the really hard part, but it's in a great place relative to all of recorded history. Progress on lgbtqi+ issues is still going at a good clip thanks to cultural soft power and is also better than ever before. Progress on environmental issues is going very well because tech and capitalism are now mandating the change. (I don't know enough about racism to comment on the trajectory.)

My point is you need to see the situation clearly to spend your energy where you get best returns. The biggest long-term, sustainable wins are in reducing inequality. Inequality *s society (because it makes people compete more and pulls people further apart from each other), it exacerbates racism (because it increases the competition between people in low socio-economic demographics), it reignites homophobia (because it leads to less education and less educated people are less tolerant of difference), and it damages the environment (because poor people are less able to make environmentally conscious choices, and super rich people have huge personal environmental footprints).

Like if someone gets personal joy from protesting about coal then cool I guess, but let's not pretend that at this point that's crucial advocacy, because that game's already over.
So all those words to acknowledge that none of the problems are fixed.

Got it

I saw some discussion about Canada’s emissions reduction plans and apparently despite the damage, increased costs, loss of food production it’s a bargain and the right thing to do. Never mind that china’s increase in the next year will outstrip Canada’s reductions for the next 30 years combined 😳🤯. Now if you run those figures on us it’s even worse so yep go to town and keep running with China and India as developing countries who get a free pass.

Sending all the manufacturing to third work countries who don't have the same protections is a western practice. We have clean hands and can complain about their filthy practices.

My sister and nephew are over fighting forest fires in Canada. They need to look like they are doing something about it there. People are starting to freak out now that they catch are every summer.

Doing nothing and pretending that it's someone else's problem isn't really an option. We need a huge shake up and to stop idiotic consumerism like outfits that get worn once and shipped to Africa to rot in their waterways. The world is more wasteful now than at any time in history. Demands on resources keep increasing so we are ****ed anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate sends me gay Subaru memes all the time. I have Birkenstocks and Subaru. Pretty much a lesbian with a dick.
Assuming you also have the Blundstones to complete the deal ? And a cute dog you walk in a cage on concrete ?

blnd_nyc_aw21__442_1_1.jpg

Sending all the manufacturing to third work countries who don't have the same protections is a western practice. We have clean hands and can complain about their filthy practices.

My sister and nephew are over fighting forest fires in Canada. They need to look like they are doing something about it there. People are starting to freak out now that they catch are every summer.

Doing nothing and pretending that it's someone else's problem isn't really an option. We need a huge shake up and to stop idiotic consumerism like outfits that get worn once and shipped to Africa to rot in their waterways. The world is more wasteful now than at any time in history. Demands on resources keep increasing so we are ****ed anyway.
We're too far gone need some way of getting carbon/greenhouse gases out of the atmosphere with technology.

Maybe with all the natural disasters it will provide some incentive. Probably not though.

Yeah I’m sorry but things really don’t add up in the great we’re all going to die global warming debate. Not to mention Trudeau is klaus schwabs little golden pm 🤔 yeah I’m not buying the new black and red summer maps either. You want to watch John Kerry denying having a private jet or using one only to admit it was my wife’s and she sold it 🤣🤣.

If and it’s a massive if this isn’t yet another scam then meaningless gestures that see food production cut so more can starve while others go on there merry way won’t change a thing and should be called out for the insanity it is Imo.

We're too far gone need some way of getting carbon/greenhouse gases out of the atmosphere with technology.

Maybe with all the natural disasters it will provide some incentive. Probably not though.
How much greenhouse gas is omitted in one major volcanic eruption compared to human omissions. What percentage of the atmosphere is carbon dioxide, what levels have we seen in the past, what happened during those periods.

How much greenhouse gas is omitted in one major volcanic eruption compared to human omissions. What percentage of the atmosphere is carbon dioxide, what levels have we seen in the past, what happened during those periods.
Umm it's around 400ppm from memory.

Are you saying volcanoes emit more than humans that's ridiculous, I'm aware co2 concentrations have fluctuated over time and the climate changes over time naturally (that trend actually should be cooling the earth but the opposite is occurring due to human activities).

I'm not going to argue with a climate denier lol.

Umm it's around 400ppm from memory.

Are you saying volcanoes emit more than humans that's ridiculous, I'm aware co2 concentrations have fluctuated over time and the climate changes over time naturally (that trend actually should be cooling the earth but the opposite is occurring due to human activities).

I'm not going to argue with a climate denier lol.
The climate is always changing, dumbass 😎

Yes at a slow rate it does, shouldn't be changing at the rate it is.

Do you know the difference between weather and climate
I think I've struck a nerve 😎

Volcanos? Volcanos mostly cause cooling from sulphur dioxide not warming. But if you're worried about volcano carbon then these are the numbers:

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 5.07.09 pm.png

Unless you have some thoughts that maybe there's 100x volcanic eruptions coming (which sounds pretty scary to me) then I'm not sure volcanos have a lot to do with anything.

Best tech to get carbon out of the atmosphere is a tree tbh
Yeah but that won't be enough and we keep clearing them and the population is expanding so

If you look up the amount of land in Queensland that still gets cleared for grazing it's ridiculous, Bolsonaro in Brazil has been a disaster.

Need to reforest large areas in addition to other strategies but not looking good tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back