Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you’re a sports reporter at The Age reporting on sports?

lj1oH5y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or maybe just a talented footballer...unreal the virtue signalling these days 🤣

The amount of women on socials - “oMg iD tUrN fOr SaM kERr”

Really. That’s the threshold at which you’d turn…
This is my mates ex husbands sister.

Says it all really. Starved for attention/validation. Crazy world we're living in. Craaaaaaaazy world.

Nah, just perspective. Of course I have privilege, but that doesn't mean I'm not in a position to talk about these issues. I've put in a lot of effort in my life to inform myself on them, rather than just skating over the surface of what the media or facebook or whatever tells me. Outrage is the easy reaction but not generally a productive one - the right way to make sustainable change is much more nuanced than that.

Good luck with change. Fossil fuel companies are still the most profitable in the world and they manipulate politics. Rudd and Gillard were taken down for trying to put up a carbon tax by the minerals council. The current Labor party won't stand up to the gas industry because they are scared of them. Morrison was going to give all of the Covid recovery money to them even though they pay FA royalties and send everything off shore. He proposed a gas lead recovery. You couldn't make that shit up. Sleepy Joe and Sideshow Trump aren't politicians. They are comic book characters. They aren't even pretending there anymore. Shit on a plate or turds in a cup.

Our real masters let you argue over women's toilets and gay footballers while they pillage your pockets while you're distracted. They won't do anything about climate change until it's too late. It's all bullshit anyway. Electric cars take heaps of rare earth minerals and they'll just **** it in a different way while taking money off us. We are doomed by greed.

This is my mates ex husbands sister.

Says it all really. Starved for attention/validation. Crazy world we're living in. Craaaaaaaazy world.

She wouldn't want to get too close to a naked flame.

Good luck with change. Fossil fuel companies are still the most profitable in the world and they manipulate politics. Rudd and Gillard were taken down for trying to put up a carbon tax by the minerals council. The current Labor party won't stand up to the gas industry because they are scared of them. Morrison was going to give all of the Covid recovery money to them even though they pay FA royalties and send everything off shore. He proposed a gas lead recovery. You couldn't make that s**t up. Sleepy Joe and Sideshow Trump aren't politicians. They are comic book characters. They aren't even pretending there anymore. s**t on a plate or turds in a cup.

Our real masters let you argue over women's toilets and gay footballers while they pillage your pockets while you're distracted. They won't do anything about climate change until it's too late. It's all bullshit anyway. Electric cars take heaps of rare earth minerals and they'll just * it in a different way while taking money off us. We are doomed by greed.
Again, climate change (what’s it supposed to do, stay the same?) advocates in Aus want to tax, penalise, restrict, ban etc our citizens when we cannot change the overall in a meaningful way.
To that they will say (on their child labour driven iPhones), that doesn’t mean we should do nothing.
To that I would say if you really cared you’d be over protesting and proselytising in Asia and Africa.

Now back to work you lazy little Congolese minor miners!

Good luck with change. Fossil fuel companies are still the most profitable in the world and they manipulate politics. Rudd and Gillard were taken down for trying to put up a carbon tax by the minerals council. The current Labor party won't stand up to the gas industry because they are scared of them. Morrison was going to give all of the Covid recovery money to them even though they pay FA royalties and send everything off shore. He proposed a gas lead recovery. You couldn't make that s**t up. Sleepy Joe and Sideshow Trump aren't politicians. They are comic book characters. They aren't even pretending there anymore. s**t on a plate or turds in a cup.

Our real masters let you argue over women's toilets and gay footballers while they pillage your pockets while you're distracted. They won't do anything about climate change until it's too late. It's all bullshit anyway. Electric cars take heaps of rare earth minerals and they'll just * it in a different way while taking money off us. We are doomed by greed.
One of your best. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The thing that gives me some hope now is the realisation that AI will probably wipe out humans before Climate Change or WW3.

Last edited:
Again, climate change (what’s it supposed to do, stay the same?) advocates in Aus want to tax, penalise, restrict, ban etc our citizens when we cannot change the overall in a meaningful way.
To that they will say (on their child labour driven iPhones), that doesn’t mean we should do nothing.
To that I would say if you really cared you’d be over protesting and proselytising in Asia and Africa.

Comes back to extremes though doesn’t it.

“If you’re so ****ing passionate go and bomb a cobalt mine otherwise shut up”.

Not very helpful.

I’m not passionate about it, but nice whataboutism 😘
I’m aware you’re not I’m pointing out that you are advocating for an all or nothing position. If you’re not doing everything then don’t preach about it, it’s just another version of the extremism that isn’t very helpful to anyone.

I’m aware you’re not I’m pointing out that you are advocating for an all or nothing position. If you’re not doing everything then don’t preach about it, it’s just another version of the extremism that isn’t very helpful to anyone.
It’s not about doing everything, it’s about doing productive things - if people really cared.

Gringo has summed it up perfectly, all these side-show’s are petty distractions and energy wasters for lost and unproductive people.
Majority of folks just have their head down bum up just trying to get by, all the while we’re all getting f*cked in some way or another regardless.

Far easier to cut out the middleman, replace the humans with cyborgs. The cyborgs won’t whinge about their problems, there’ll be no need or capacity for empathy and no pain and suffering to alleviate. Going forward, Humanity will continue as an unattainable and misunderstood ideal serving to inspire AI-driven art, literature, music, philosophy, culture and, to a lesser extent, sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly the people with the ability to change things won't while it's profitable. You might as well drink while Rome burns because there won't be an appetitive for change until it's too late. They don't look at it with an eye on change, they look at it with an eye on making change profitable. Free market capitalism is a cancer that is unstoppable. It's a parasite that eats its host.

From the news today:

"Power giants AGL, Origin Energy and EnergyAustralia – the largest owners of Australia’s remaining coal-fired power stations – have joined influential business groups in urging the government to stick with its ambitious pledge to shift the grid to 82 per cent renewable energy by the end of the decade."

The tech and financials have changed a lot in the last few years. These companies can see where the future money is and that's why they're pushing for a faster renewables transition, so they have certainty in their capital investment plans. Capitalism and tech saved the day, with prodding from environmental campaigners and through them governments. The campaigners did a great job but now that job is done. In this one capitalism ended up having the answers (which definitely isn't always the case - see my earlier comments on racism).

And the rare earth minerals thing is a furphy. Digging holes is messy but very very localised in environmental effect (anything is compared to fossil fuels), and the processing (which produces toxic waste as a byproduct) is improving.

And there are actually plenty of rare earths. The main reason the US is pushing for fewer rare earths is because most of the proven reserves are in China and geopolitically it isn't ideal. But environmental impact is orders of magnitude less than burning petroleum.

From the news today:

"Power giants AGL, Origin Energy and EnergyAustralia – the largest owners of Australia’s remaining coal-fired power stations – have joined influential business groups in urging the government to stick with its ambitious pledge to shift the grid to 82 per cent renewable energy by the end of the decade."

The tech and financials have changed a lot in the last few years. These companies can see where the future money is and that's why they're pushing for a faster renewables transition, so they have certainty in their capital investment plans. Capitalism and tech saved the day, with prodding from environmental campaigners and through them governments. The campaigners did a great job but now that job is done. In this one capitalism ended up having the answers (which definitely isn't always the case - see my earlier comments on racism).

And the rare earth minerals thing is a furphy. Digging holes is messy but very very localised in environmental effect (anything is compared to fossil fuels), and the processing (which produces toxic waste as a byproduct) is improving.

And there are actually plenty of rare earths. The main reason the US is pushing for fewer rare earths is because most of the proven reserves are in China and geopolitically it isn't ideal. But environmental impact is orders of magnitude less than burning petroleum.

I have zero faith in it moving forward anytime soon. Most manufacturing is sent to poor countries where they do all the damage and we can pretend it's not our problem. A few middle class people only $75k Teslas aren't going to get it done.

Except you’re not advocating for sustainable change you said that three major current issues are fixed and done, no further action needed.

I’m not outraged more perplexed by someone who seems to understand that there are ongoing issues advocating for absolutely nothing to be done about them.

Could just be a language thing but I’m not misrepresenting what you said.

Yeah I'm probably not communicating it effectively.

If we were in the US my interpretation of the situation might be different, because the US has a much more conservative and reactionary polity. All of these issues are a bigger problem over there.

But here my point is about trajectory. In social/economic change momentum is important. On all these things except racism the momentum is in the positive direction. Progress on women's rights is flattening off a bit because we're up to the really hard part, but it's in a great place relative to all of recorded history. Progress on lgbtqi+ issues is still going at a good clip thanks to cultural soft power and is also better than ever before. Progress on environmental issues is going very well because tech and capitalism are now mandating the change. (I don't know enough about racism to comment on the trajectory.)

My point is you need to see the situation clearly to spend your energy where you get best returns. The biggest long-term, sustainable wins are in reducing inequality. Inequality ****s society (because it makes people compete more and pulls people further apart from each other), it exacerbates racism (because it increases the competition between people in low socio-economic demographics), it reignites homophobia (because it leads to less education and less educated people are less tolerant of difference), and it damages the environment (because poor people are less able to make environmentally conscious choices, and super rich people have huge personal environmental footprints).

Like if someone gets personal joy from protesting about coal then cool I guess, but let's not pretend that at this point that's crucial advocacy, because that game's already over.

Thank you for all the contributions in here, genuinely enjoy the Roundtable discussions.

Just picked up this book by a brilliant gay man, will report back with his thoughts on the future.

View attachment 1778344

Yeah it's a classic in the startup world, I haven't read it since it came out. Might have aged a bit but from what I remember it was pretty handy.

If you're going down that track worth also reading The Hard Thing About Hard Things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back