Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But anyway back to the topic at hand, how can you celebrate the recruitment of prime-aged players Hopper (27) and Taranto (26) for a farm's worth of draft capital, while simultaneously celebrating Bolton (25), Baker (26) and Rioli (27) jumping ship. It seems a little conflicting at first viewing unless you've come around to the conclusion that trading in a couple of surplus GWS mids for an eye-watering price was a mistake.

All part of the grand plan my friend. Trade out of 2022 & 2023 drafts. Head to the bonanza that is the 2024 draft with a load of rd 1 picks.

Taranto, Hopper, Steely Green, and Kaleb Smith cost picks 14, 22, & 34 in the 2022 draft and pick 8 in the 2023 draft.

If all of Bolton, Baker, Rioli leave, your eyes are going to drown at the trade return able to be activated in the 2024 draft if you think that price for Taranto, Hopper, Smith, & Green was eye-watering. ;)

But anyway back to the topic of hand, how can you celebrate the recruitment of prime-aged players Hopper (27) and Taranto (26) for a farm's worth of draft capital, while simultaneously celebrating Bolton (25), Baker (26) and Rioli (27) jumping ship. It seems a little conflicting at first viewing unless you've come around to the conclusion that trading in a couple of surplus GWS mids for an eye-watering price was a mistake.
The Punt Road Butchers will operate far better without the elite skills of Rioli and Bolton getting in the way.

First, a couple of points about claims you made in your post.

Richmond 2021-2022-2023 combined home and away record: 32w 3d 32l.

Hardly qualifies as pathetic. We have only been pathetic in 2024. And for obvious reasons outside the club's full control.

Second, good clubs win flags. Richmond has won 13. Geelong has won 10. And finals. Richmond has outscored Geelong in no less than 10 of the 11 finals series in which the two clubs have met each other. Including the most recent 3 of course, in case you needed reminding of the traumatic(for you) events of 2017, 19, 20.

As for your Bolton advice. I suggest you just sit back and watch exactly how it is done by a club that has the best Grand Final won v finals lost ration in the competition over the last 80 years....and it is not even close. :cool:
Finishing places after last flag:

12th
7th
13th
17th/18th

No finals won.

There is no dressing up how bad that is. There was a chance to build up a lasting, winning culture. Now it looks more like heading back to the wilderness for another few decades.

Finishing places after last flag:

12th
7th
13th
17th/18th

No finals won.

There is no dressing up how bad that is. There was a chance to build up a lasting, winning culture. Now it looks more like heading back to the wilderness for another few decades.

Yep because of course that is the natural outcome of taking around 8 x rd 1 picks over the next 2 drafts.

I can smell the fear.

6-8 years or so from now Cats won't have any flags but will do their usual finals clogging year after year. Then they will once again come up against the rising tiger in a final....we both know what happens then. :cool:

Yep because of course that is the natural outcome of taking around 8 x rd 1 picks over the next 2 drafts.

I can smell the fear.

6-8 years or so from now Cats won't have any flags but will do their usual finals clogging year after year. Then they will once again come up against the rising tiger in a final....we both know what happens then. :cool:
It's far more likely your soiled pants: "Nurse!"

Well I look forward to hearing from you in 8 years if you're still kicking. It's a shame that the prospects until then are dire and there's every chance your team simply ends up the new NM in that time frame.

It's far more likely your soiled pants: "Nurse!"

Well I look forward to hearing from you in 8 years if you're still kicking. It's a shame that the prospects until then are dire and there's every chance your team simply ends up the new NM in that time frame.

So North took 8 round 1 picks across 2 drafts 8 years ago did they?

Cope harder. :tearsofjoy:

The fact that Richmond's golden era is but a footnote of - and squeezed inbetween - Geelong's four flag run of the Joel Selwood era definitely helps.
Yep, squeezed into that 13 year gap.

Makes you wonder though, how many flags you may have won if you didn’t lose to us in every final through our three flag dynasty years.

Still it’s good that you have two more flags than Fitzroy.

It's not that hard if a club has infinite salary cap via 3rd party free block of lands and real estate properties or if one has an entire state as academy and others with COLA.

What do you reckon?
Isn’t NM being gifted Northern Territory for its academy?

Isn’t NM being gifted Northern Territory for its academy?

It only counts when we get a flurry of superstar types.

Plus, it's not the NT academy, it's NT aborigine academy and it might not include Darwin so essentially a sour lemon type get where we have to bear all the risks for no reward.

If we north is to be considered a legit professional footy club, then we would be demanding the whole lot of NT academy and not just for indeginious but everyone, like the one Tas and GC has.

Second, we will be demanding COLA type handout to cover the cost of getting NT players down to vic and extra indeginious equivalent COLA payment for playeres of indeginious background to be part of our salary cap.

Of course, even if the afl gives us all that, what they really want to do is to relocate us there so instead, we milk the system for 12 to 15 years and then say nope tada, bye bye.

North are an abject joke and have been for ages now. Rolled gold draft picks upon draft picks and still cemented to the bottom 2.

It's called rebuild if you haven't heard of that.

Better 5 years of total rubbish then 44 years of shooting blanks from 63 to 2006.

Plus, things should be quite easy if one has infinite cap via 3rd party real estate properties

What do you reckon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called rebuild if you haven't heard of that.

Better 5 years of total rubbish then 44 years of shooting blanks from 63 to 2006.

Plus, things should be quite easy if one has infinite cap via 3rd party real estate properties

What do you reckon?
What Hawthorn are doing is rebuilding. What Richmond will be doing is rebuilding. Whatever the hell North are doing we haven't seen anything quite like it for 100-odd years.

What do you reckon?

1.png

What Hawthorn are doing is rebuilding. What Richmond will be doing is rebuilding. Whatever the hell North are doing we haven't seen anything quite like it for 100-odd years.

What do you reckon?

View attachment 2050172

And? Lemme guess, relocate, merge, fold, sure mate.

Wouldn't have to lose that many if we had infinite cap with free houses to give away like some country town vic club that has handouts to build scoreboards.

You know anything about that?

What do you reckon?

View attachment 2050172
Incoming something something land packages, JHF is a mummy's boy, something something Wayne Carey is a good bloke, something something 2028

Old mate Zia doesn't have a lot of range, so the response will be along those lines.

Incoming something something land packages, JHF is a mummy's boy, something something Wayne Carey is a good bloke, something something 2028

Old mate Zia doesn't have a lot of range, so the response will be along those lines.

Let's see, your range is diverse i heard oh wait what's that? Fold, merge, relocate, handouts.

Indeed, handouts for scoreboard for certain vic country club, you know much bout that?

And? Lemme guess, relocate, merge, fold, sure mate.

Wouldn't have to lose that many if we had infinite cap with free houses to give away like some country town vic club that has handouts to build scoreboards.

You know anything about that?
Yeah alright you win if North had a fancy new scoreboard they'd be going places.

Yeah alright you win if North had a fancy new scoreboard they'd be going places.

No no, the club that requires handouts for scoreboard wins.

Also, the club/s that has infintie caps with free 3rd party houses to give away so players take pay cut also wins and the bonus is that all new recruit says 'they enjoy a new lifestyle'.

Also, the club/s that has infintie caps with free 3rd party houses to give away so players take pay cut also wins and the bonus is that all new recruit says 'they enjoy a new lifestyle'.
And Bailey Smith coming over courtesy of Cotton On. You're on to us Zia, to think we were this close to getting away with it all too before you exposed the truth. It makes sense I guess, there's no way a club can be as good as Geelong without cheating.

Let's see, your range is diverse i heard oh wait what's that? Fold, merge, relocate, handouts.

Indeed, handouts for scoreboard for certain vic country club, you know much bout that?
Dude...you care about this a lot more than we do.

If you're naive enough to think that every club isn't giving out third party deals at some level then I can't help you, and you need to get out more.

And Bailey Smith coming over courtesy of Cotton On. You're on to us Zia, to think we were this close to getting away with it all too before you exposed the truth. It makes sense I guess, there's no way a club can be as good as Geelong without cheating.

Oh did i say it's Geelong? Wow i never thought of that.

I haven’t bothered posting here for months because quite frankly, it’s become a shithole because of dipshits like you who can’t handle reality and have to make excuses over a game.

When it suits Geelong is a backwater. A country town. A hole down the highway.

Doesn’t Melbourne have real estate agents? Houses? A property market? Sponsors? Businesses? Units? F**k off mate 😂😂

We didn’t win a flag for 44 years for one reason. We weren’t good enough. Not because other clubs were too rich, or did deals, or broke rules. We weren’t up to it.

See I can face reality. You can’t.

Stop looking for excuses. You think every player Geelong gets is thrown a farm or a property deal? You think every player on our books wants to raise cattle? You don’t think for every talented player who wants to live in a quiet coastal place there isn’t another dozen who wants a swank unit in Melbourne? Oh yeah good one. Yeah nah Geelong is the only club in the world that could offer a third party deal. That’s a grand conspiracy.

And that scoreboard. Wow, that’s going to land us some big fish in years to come 😂

This sport’s fan base is more full of excuse making bedwetters than any demographic I have ever come across and you are emblematic of it and you’d just better hope for the sake of your own chances of enjoying some success in the next four decades that your own club’s management isn’t as full of excuses as you are. I suspect they aren’t because I actually respect Clarkson and what he’s trying to do.

But you are a pissant.

Yep, squeezed into that 13 year gap.

Makes you wonder though, how many flags you may have won if you didn’t lose to us in every final through our three flag dynasty years.

Still it’s good that you have two more flags than Fitzroy.
Given in 2017 Adelaide thrashed us by 500 points in the prelim, you can rule that one out.

In 2019 we got pummelled by Collingwood in the QF, who GWS accounted for. So we were the 4th best side in the end, don't let the ladder fool you.

In 2020 we were so-so all year but finally did have a good finals run. We were a genuine chance that year, although Port probably would've beaten us in the GF too - like they did in the QF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Back