The Robodebt Royal Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand Dutton’s claim that the government and/or Shorten is “politicizing” the robodebt RC report.

Is it not inherently political?
If the media did their job properly and were not mostly entirely partisan then they would not even be reporting it.

The Liberals are flooding the zone with bullshit as usual and the media are gleefully obliging

Whether they had these specific set of recommendations or not, there is nothing new or groundbreaking that I've seen in them regarding the need for cultural and process change at Services Australia.
Treating people with humanity,

I will happily say that without fail, every single person I dealt with in person at Centrelink was courteous, understanding, and empathetic. They did everything they could to help, but were hamstrung by the inhumane and degrading system they have to work under.

In stark contrast to the disgusting and shameful "job service providers" whose contracts need to be ripped up immediately.

I think Robodebt is the ultimate symbol of the mean-spiritedness with which the Coalition and its media partners like to govern. Can you get any more mean-spirited than pursuing Australia's poorest in a scheme you know is illegal, while handing out many times that money to the wealthy?

I will happily say that without fail, every single person I dealt with in person at Centrelink was courteous, understanding, and empathetic. They did everything they could to help, but were hamstrung by the inhumane and degrading system they have to work under.

In stark contrast to the disgusting and shameful "job service providers" whose contracts need to be ripped up immediately.
I don't think the issues at services Australia are with the frontline staff.
Higher up though...

Job service providers are generally evil leeches and seem to generally attract power hungry bullies as employees

If the media did their job properly and were not mostly entirely partisan then they would not even be reporting it.

The Liberals are flooding the zone with bullshit as usual and the media are gleefully obliging
Most journalists I’ve met are too lazy to read the RC report and believe that we “the punters” don’t care or are too thick to understand it if they could read it and summarize it for us. The assumption of public stupidity is mostly projection. Smug, condescending arseholes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The senior public service come out of this diminished
They were corrupted by the LNP. Simple as that. They need to be cut out of the 'service'.
Yet Scumo & the Mad Monk will go to church & sing their little rings off this morning like nothings happened.
Sanctimonious. inhuman, sociopathic, bastids.
Then we have Paine, Tudge & all the other antisocial slime bags.
Sickening.

They were corrupted by the LNP. Simple as that. They need to be cut out of the 'service'.
Yet Scumo & the Mad Monk will go to church & sing their little rings off this morning like nothings happened.
Sickening.
Sadly not. Senior public servants who do whatever horrible shit the minister wants without leaving a paper trail are a feature, not a bug. Popular in a government of either colour. The main stars of this one will get the arse but the less prominent toadies will live on.

Sickening.

Yep. Sociopaths all. None of them will lose a wink of sleep or heaven forbid, a fat pension. “Just doing my job”.

The public service here functioned in the exact manner the Libs intended.
And from my experience, what a fair % of Labor Ministers expect.

The appointment of politically sympathetic, if not aligned, Departmental heads at Federal and State lvel has been a thing for decades and not just restricted to one side of politics.

We have every right to be shocked, but not surprised, of the consequences of the ongoing erosion of the independence of the public service.

There is some irony, amid calls that Kathryn Campbell should resign from the APS after helping design a policy that killed
poor and vulnerable people whilst Secretary of Human Services and letting Robodebt rip for nearly 5 years.

She was then moved sideways to a job with AUKUS helping to design a policy that will also probably kill people.

No doubt her background in the Army Reserve was seen relevant for her new gig as well as her previous APS role.

There is some irony, amid calls that Kathryn Campbell should resign from the APS after helping design a policy that killed
poor and vulnerable people whilst Secretary of Human Services and letting Robodebt rip for nearly 5 years.

She was then moved sideways to a job with AUKUS helping to design a policy that will also probably kill people.

No doubt her background in the Army Reserve was seen relevant for her new gig as well as her previous APS role.
Campbell went on leave from her AUKUS role last week and before the Royal Commission Report came out.

Due process needs to work its course but would be surprised if she returned other than to clear out her desk.

Lets see if the new NACC has any guts or teeth.
I don't think Robodebt needs to go to the NACC - they have enough to do.

It's had a thorough going over by a RC and its findings have been laid out for all to see.

It's recommendations for dealing with those responsible have been fired off to those whose job it is to do that.

The NACC and a RC have are quite similar in their role and powers. They both don't have the power to prosecute.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Robodebt Royal Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Back