Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be like shooting fish in a barrel having three picks back to back. There will be some good footballers around that mark.

Collingwood have 18, 19 & 21

e.g.

2007 would have got you Rance, Ward & Maric
2008 would give you Shuey, Strauss and Ballantyne

May be the odd miss there, but it's not too bad is it?

Well its like buying a system 13 lotto ticket instead of a system 10. As it stands, I think their round one 1 side next year is worse than it was this year. As I said, time will tell.

So Dawes is suddenly irreplaceable and entering his prime now he is no longer linked to us. Ok...

They've lost nothing on their list that they cannot replace, they have freed up salary which I'm sure helped retain Cloke, and now have 3 bites in the first round to keep the young talent flowing through.

They've been brilliant with their list management this FA/Trade period.

So Dawes is suddenly irreplaceable and entering his prime now he is no longer linked to us. Ok...

They've lost nothing on their list that they cannot replace, they have freed up salary which I'm sure helped retain Cloke, and now have 3 bites in the first round to keep the young talent flowing through.

I get it. People think Dawes/Wellingham are no loss and said draft picks are genius. Again-time will tell..

Picks at that range could end up Nat Fyfe or Tony Notte. I'll let the Pies supporters pat themselves on the back, and wait and see.

As opposed to Carlton that have 1 pick in the top 35? If we draft Stringer/Menzel it's high risk given their injury history.

Even if Collingwood have the misfortune of drafting 2 spuds, the 3rd could well turn out better than our pick 11. Plus, they offloaded two average players at the height of their currency (c.f. Bower/Thornton/Russell). In so doing investing in the future and freeing up salary cap space. But since it's the Carlton board, let the maggie bashing continue... :rolleyes:

As opposed to Carlton that have 1 pick in the top 35? If we draft Stringer/Menzel it's high risk given their injury history.

Even if Collingwood have the misfortune of drafting 2 spuds, the 3rd could well turn out better than our pick 11. Plus, they offloaded two average players at the height of their currency (c.f. Bower/Thornton/Russell). In so doing investing in the future and freeing up salary cap space. But since it's the Carlton board, let the maggie bashing continue... :rolleyes:

Well, we'll need to differ on the definition of 'two average players'. I'm not bashing the pies out of hatred. I personally don't think the Dawes/Lynch and Wellingham/Young swap is brilliant list management. I now understand the 'lets wait and see' line is a terribly controversial , draft hating statement. Over and out for this argument.

Why can't we do it next season??

Did we have to do it this year??

It's only the 1st year of the new system, we will get our chance, when the time is right...

Who replaces the retired Tarrant with Keeffe recovering from a knee reconstruction?

Have they gained a proven number two ruckman who can take pressure off the ageing Jolly?

They've gained two unproven players, but I don't know if you can say their best 22 has improved an awful lot with their window still open. Wellingham was more accountable than Young. Hawthorn and Geelong could make some huge gains if Lake and Caddy, Rivers & McIntosh stand up.

Well, we'll need to differ on the definition of 'two average players'.
I wouldn't rate either in the top dozen of Collingwood's best 22; yet they both attracted a first round pick.
I personally don't think the Dawes/Lynch and Wellingham/Young swap is brilliant list management.
Alone, no. But for a slight reduction in playing capacity they triple their chances of selecting some quality talent.

The big picture is that for 2 years in a row we're going into the draft with the minimum 3 selections. Regardless of any perceived 'window' is that enough to sustain longer term success? Collingwood's bold gambit has an eye on the future. 3 picks inside the (extended) first round is healthier than our 3 in 56 picks.

I wouldn't rate either in the top dozen of Collingwood's best 22; yet they both attracted a first round pick.

Alone, no. But for a slight reduction in playing capacity they triple their chances of selecting some quality talent.

The big picture is that for 2 years in a row we're going into the draft with the minimum 3 selections. Regardless of any perceived 'window' is that enough to sustain longer term success? Collingwood's bold gambit has an eye on the future. 3 picks inside the (extended) first round is healthier than our 3 in 56 picks.

Yes, but we didn't give up our #2 KPF and quality mid either. I appreciate you rate the unknown more than the known. And if you need to hear me say it, to let this one lie 'good job pies :thumbsu:'.

Why can't we do it next season??

Did we have to do it this year??

No problem with this. I think some have just been overly critical of the 'pies trading away established players for top 20 selections.

Carlton might well be accused to holding on to players too long. e.g. Bower, Thornton, Russell are on the scrapheap with zero currency. Hindsight, of course, but sometimes you have to cash-in for draft picks.

The recurring theme in this thread from some posters is that we have to be trading, either for draft picks or players. Apparently one of our players did attract the interest of another club, but the general consensus on this board was that under no circumstances should the player in question be traded. In fact if he was traded, many posters were going to be quite pissed off.

There was also suggestions that a certain player from the Gold Coast should have been pursued by our club, with our first round draft pick being considered for such a trade. Again there were posters who would not entertain the idea of trading pick 11 for the player in question.

The reality is, if you want to be participating in trades you have to give something up, generally something of value. You are not going to be able to trade players at the bottom end of your list. Anyone who thinks you can, is dreaming.

To put it in plain terms, you can't hang on to your Tom Bell, or your pick 11, & still expect to be active during the trade period.

If you want a good laugh go to the Adelaide board and the Tippett thread. It seems they think we will give up pick 11 and Yarran for Parker and pick 23. So effectively we would give them Yarran for pick 23. Are they serious?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want a good laugh go to the Adelaide board and the Tippett thread. It seems they think we will give up pick 11 and Yarran for Parker and pick 23. So effectively we would give them Yarran for pick 23. Are they serious?
It's that special water they drink, makes the dumbest things seem like rational thought.

What a bunch of imbeciles!

Loved the suggestion that Yarran is worth between picks 10 to 15. :D

Don't be so dismissive, Pick 23 could turn out to be anything.

Theres no they, it was one poster believing too much into a Facebook rumour. He was told that was no chance, it's ridiculous.

Having said that, would Parker for 11 be a fair deal? Pick 11 is speculative whereas with Parker you know you are getting a good young footballer.

Theres no they, it was one poster believing too much into a Facebook rumour. He was told that was no chance, it's ridiculous.

Having said that, would Parker for 11 be a fair deal? Pick 11 is speculative whereas with Parker you know you are getting a good young footballer.
I think the main consensus on this board was that we would really like Parker, and it is possible that you could argue that he is worth 11 on his own. However, it is a line-ball call. There is no incentive for us to chip in and help you guys try to push this trade through unless we come out well on top, so we would probably require something more, McKernan was discussed as an option, as was a swap of other picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back