Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^
RDB was a mercenary - a career coach. Cannot see why players cannot be driven regardless of who they play for. Could quote plenty of RDB at you but won't. Let's not be too precious about Juddy v Cloke (I know he wanted to come home blah blah blah) - Juddy is a perfect example of what RDB was talking about when he said "if you are traded - it'd still be to play the same game of football, wouldn't it? You still wouldn't want to get beaten by your opponent...." (Had to quote him once ;))

Grant Thomas nailed the Malthouse backflip which is putting pressure on the club to sack Ratten. Great to see someone tell it like it is. If Swann is contracted, then Sticks should go after the club did a 180 on Ratten who they re-signed. Ratts will surely cross Swann and Sticks off his Christmas card list.

What did Thomas have to say?

Alright, so lets do the maths on this. I just looked at our statutory accounts for the club for lasy year. Net profit was $742k and $750k of that comes from grant money - so technically the club was actually in a loss position
So lets assume we make the same profit - they would be paying Malthouse $800,000 minimum + at least two new assistants at about $150,000 each. Thats puts the club in a loss position of minimum, not including grant money of over $1m. Plus the club still has large debt committments. Then if the Malthouse experiment doesnt work, membership goes down = less revenue. You are forced to pay out Ratten and some of his assistants contracts for terminating prematurely so there is no financial relief there

If this move goes wrong - the club will be financially crippled. And if anyone says Jeannie Pratt or Visy will cover our costs I will vomit. That is no way to run a club. Massive gamble. Everyone seems to think Malthouse = guaranteed premiership.......

What if we want to get the coach in place before that to prepare for the trade and draft periods?

Key dates for draft and free agency

August 1, 2pm - Nomination deadline for 17-year-old players under second and final year of GWS Giants Trade Incentive Rules.

October 1 - Commencement of Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency period.

October 5, 2pm - Nomination of Father-Son Eligible Players and Academy Bidding Players.

October 8, 10am - Father Son Eligible Players and Academy Players Bid Meeting.

October 8 - Commencement of Trade Period.

October 19, 2pm - Deadline for GWS Giants to pre-list balance of any uncontracted players under List Establishment rules.

October 19, 5pm - Close to Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.

October 23, 5pm - Trade Incentive Rule (17 year-olds). Deadline for trading.

October 26, 2pm - End of Trade Period.
Key dates for draft and free agency

No thanks if they think they get to call the tune and set the time frame for the coaching appointment. Both Malthouse and Sidwell come across as egotists like another Blues fan suggested on another messageboard.

All the great unwashed will glady sit at the table to take part in the bread and circus act the club will throw at us in Malthouse.

Wow, look over there, I can see bottle, army, brunswick, heritage, fern and even some emerald, and is it, yes I think there is a touch of bottle. Yes, its definitely more of 520-570 nanometers there.

The grass is greener?

Final Round set to be Brett Ratten's swansong, with overwhelming view at club he won't survive.
BRETT Ratten will almost certainly coach his final game for Carlton on Sunday.

Talks could take place before the match against St Kilda to determine how best to handle the exit of the 1995 premiership hero after five years at the helm.

Once Carlton and Ratten have parted, the Blues would approach Mick Malthouse.
Final Round set to be Brett Ratten's swansong, with overwhelming view at club he won't survive.

You wouldn't think Warner and Robbo would pen their names to something like this if they weren't sure. You wouldn't think...

Malthouse not the answer. Will be here 3 years, 4 maximum. I just don't see how he's going to implement a game plan, get the team to follow it and build up his own players that he brings in, in that short amount of time. Then what are we going to do, get another coach in a few years? What are we Richmond?

We need to get with the times and drop the Carlton arrogance crap, and stick tough. Ratts is probably the best available coach for this team, is he perfect? Absolutely not, but nobody is, I just have faith that he will have learnt a great deal from this season and I think he won't be taking crap like this anymore.

He needs to knuckle down, keep quiet about where we'll finish, who's going to have their best seasons, what we'll do if this or that happens and get serious about how the players approach each and every game. If we turn up to play, we can beat anyone, if we don't we can lose to anyone. So it's clear that we cannot turn up to games thinking they're in the bag before they even start.

When players don't put in as they are expected to, they can have fun in the 2's and not just one week, give them a couple to make up for what they should've copped over the years.

A firm stance has to be taken, trust me, you put the fear of God into them and watch how they turn up to play!

He is leading the contested mark averages, but only just. Incidentally Casboult is 4th and Waite equal 7th.

Waite is well ahead of Cloke in disposals, overall marks, tackles and disposal efficiency.
Yeah... Waite is ridiculously underrated as a KPF.
You wouldn't think Warner and Robbo would pen their names to something like this if they weren't sure. You wouldn't think...
Nothing is quoted as any more than opinion, even the headline.
A firm stance has to be taken, trust me, you put the fear of God into them and watch how they turn up to play!
I just don't see why it's necessary. Why do we have to put the fear of god into them before they do what they are paid to do. Unbelievably unprofessional, and at a high salary.

I just don't see why it's necessary. Why do we have to put the fear of god into them before they do what they are paid to do. Unbelievably unprofessional, and at a high salary.

Like I said they think they're safe no matter what and that's where the complacency comes from. It needs to be stamped out. Yes it is very unprofessioal of them to have this attitude, they seem to be happy to just collect their paycheck and coast through and it's because they've been allowed to get away with that for too long. How Garlett wasn't dropped this year is beyond me, Gibbs as well. Both were allowed to play for Carlton after dishing up poor performance after poor performance and that is unacceptable and as I said before, players like this need a real kick up the arse to make them realise that when they put a Carlton jumper on and play for this club, they better do it with pride and honour and show some heart for their coach, team mates and supporters.

Like I said they think they're safe no matter what and that's where the complacency comes from. It needs to be stamped out. Yes it is very unprofessioal of them to have this attitude, they seem to be happy to just collect their paycheck and coast through and it's because they've been allowed to get away with that for too long. How Garlett wasn't dropped this year is beyond me, Gibbs as well. Both were allowed to play for Carlton after dishing up poor performance after poor performance and that is unacceptable and as I said before, players like this need a real kick up the arse to make them realise that when they put a Carlton jumper on and play for this club, they better do it with pride and honour and show some heart for their coach, team mates and supporters.

Agree with that but Ratten has had 5 years to work on this !

Exactly how long does he need do this and, if re-appoint him, why will he do this next year when he clearly hasn't been able to do over the last five ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse not the answer. Will be here 3 years, 4 maximum. I just don't see how he's going to implement a game plan, get the team to follow it and build up his own players that he brings in, in that short amount of time. Then what are we going to do, get another coach in a few years? What are we Richmond?

We need to get with the times and drop the Carlton arrogance crap, and stick tough. Ratts is probably the best available coach for this team, is he perfect? Absolutely not, but nobody is, I just have faith that he will have learnt a great deal from this season and I think he won't be taking crap like this anymore.

He needs to knuckle down, keep quiet about where we'll finish, who's going to have their best seasons, what we'll do if this or that happens and get serious about how the players approach each and every game. If we turn up to play, we can beat anyone, if we don't we can lose to anyone. So it's clear that we cannot turn up to games thinking they're in the bag before they even start.

When players don't put in as they are expected to, they can have fun in the 2's and not just one week, give them a couple to make up for what they should've copped over the years.

What about Brenton Sanderson at Adelaide or Ross Lyon at Freo? Both implemented a game plan within a year. Both in the finals. Flawed argument.
We are mentally fragile-as the Suns game quite clearly depicted-and need a coach with balls. Unfortunately Ratten is not that person. Tell me coaches like Clarkson and or Malthouse would have allowed that crap to happen. Ratten cannot take us to the next level. Each year of his tenure we have had a flat patch of 6-7 games which has cost us.

What about Brenton Sanderson at Adelaide or Ross Lyon at Freo? Both implemented a game plan within a year. Both in the finals. Flawed argument.
We are mentally fragile-as the Suns game quite clearly depicted-and need a coach with balls. Unfortunately Ratten is not that person. Tell me coaches like Clarkson and or Malthouse would have allowed that crap to happen. Ratten cannot take us to the next level. Each year of his tenure we have had a flat patch of 6-7 games which has cost us.

I don't exactly disagree with you, however, I think that a not-insignificant portion of the blame rests with the on-field leadership group - something that is easy to overlook. Sometimes, a strong, functional leadership group can overcome certain coaching-staff deficiencies. It's often about balance.

I'm not a believer in the theory that Ratten allows these things to happen. The fact that it does happen doesn't prove that he allows it. Has Malthouse ever sat and watched a train wreck? Yes. Has Clarkson? Yes. So they allowed it?

People see some weak efforts by the team and assume Ratten does not try to address it, does not get upset about it, and behind closed doors, do not give the players what for over it. Why assume that? For whatever reason the message is not getting through to some, so we are forced to find someone else to deliver the message or find players that will listen to the message. Always easier to find one coach than multiple players though, so clubs will go that way. If it happens again though, players will go. Then you wait and see if you go backwards because the new coach is not as good as you think or leap forwards now that you are all on the same page.

I suspect Carlton have these battles ahead of them. I also suspect Ratten would like to shake up some senior players but the club are worried about the fallout.

Five years is long enough surely to show at least something. Time for a change !

So according to the Herald sun article the club will sack Ratten then approach Malthouse. What happens if Malthouse says no?

If Malthouse does want to coach I hope the club runs full medical and psychological teats on him. He has publicly stated that his health suffered badly in the his last two years coaching the filth. If he thinks that he will be under any less stress as the head coach of Carlton he has another thing coming.

So according to the Herald sun article the club will sack Ratten then approach Malthouse. What happens if Malthouse says no?

Don't listen to the media here.
We know how this works and Malthouse has been talking to Carlton for some time already.
Someone just have to flick the switch but anything can happen in the meantime.

Don't listen to the media here.
We know how this works and Malthouse has been talking to Carlton for some time already.
Someone just have to flick the switch but anything can happen in the meantime.

Exactly.

Any of us could have written that HUN article, which was an exercise in stating the bleeding obvious. Or should I say re-stating the bleeding obvious.

Kouta hit the nail on the head when he said this is the most important decision the club will make in his lifetime. Sticks knows it too. The window is open. Would a change now close it or open it wider?

Saints made a call like this when they replaced Grant Thomas with Ross Lyon. It almost worked but ultimately failed and now their window is not only shut, it is bolted and glued. And nobody will ever know if Thomas could have achieved what Lyon did not had he not been sacked. This is our dilemma.

And I am not convinced that three premierships in more than 600 games is a great record. That's roughly one for every 10 seasons. Mick is not the Messiah in my book.

If Malthouse does want to coach I hope the club runs full medical and psychological teats on him. He has publicly stated that his health suffered badly in the his last two years coaching the filth. If he thinks that he will be under any less stress as the head coach of Carlton he has another thing coming.

Lets hope its not the same assessment team that:

1. Gave Brock McLean the all clear when he first came to the club.

2. Gave Laidler the all clear to return as early as he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back