Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The best footy played in the last 10 years was played 10 years ago with unlimited interchange.

You will get better play with fresh players smashing the zones than waiting for fatigue. All fatigue gives you is goals in that the last 2 minutes of quarters.
And a significant decline in quality of ball use/decision making.

I wonder if this means there won't be any time trial this week. Maybe they'll do it in groups of ten?
Not sure. I'm a bit confused it says groups of 10 until they all get a negative covid test -- why not jjust get them a test before training starts then.

Anybody know the first training session in the new year? Is it Monday January 11th?
Good question.

Clubs are meant to be starting from this Wed. Ours could be Friday. As I have a mate whose wife attended a PT session this morning with Selwood who mentioned they were stating later this week. But that could be when the staff start. Could even be monday...

Last edited:
Good question.

Clubs are meant to be starting from this Wed. Ours could be Friday. As I have a mate whose wife attended a PT session this morning with Selwood who mentioned they were stating later this week. But that could be when the staff start. Could even be monday...

With the new Conditions AFL has Brought in they might way to see what Happens during the Week with the Covid Cases

With the new Conditions AFL has Brought in they might way to see what Happens during the Week with the Covid Cases
It seems those conditions are only until all players recieve a negative covid test, and some WA players are in quarantine, so maybe things will resume as normal once they are out of quarantine and everyone can get tested..

I don't think these conditions will last too long

I would see zoning the ground or reducing players on the ground as the worst solutions.

Zoning the ground would be a disaster, particularly if a minimum number of players had to stay in a particular zone at any time.

Could see the situation of a player chasing the ball, or player, and having to stop so as to not leave the zone and give away a penalty.

Even zones for restarts would cause confusion and delays. It is okay at centre bounces when there is plenty of time for players to set up, but not other restarts. Game just moves too quickly.

Last edited:
It seems those conditions are only until all players recieve a negative covid test, and some WA players are in quarantine, so maybe things will resume as normal once they are out of quarantine and everyone can get tested..

I don't think these conditions will last too long

Guess what they be doing this Week for everyone to get Tested so Hopefully start at 100% on Monday.

IF Numbers don't go up could only be 1 or 2 weeks

We are fortunate on our board to have two quality posters who attend training on a regular basis.
Furthermore, they provide us with excellent insights and updates, often they are there at the same time.
In the spirit of teamwork, they have decided a shared thread is a good idea.
Please respect their efforts and keep the thread on topic.

FYI: Apples Gone Critical jathanas Jen2310 Maggie5 Magpie Girl
Couldn't this discussion be moved elsewhere?
Apples, just refuse to do a training report until this lengthy discussion about interchange or whatever is moved elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there's no point in doing this until within 2 weeks of the first pre-season game. If someone gets Covid and it sweeps through an entire club instead of just 9 others, who really cares?

A lot of People

"

The Tigers were set to resume on Thursday, but football boss Tim Livingstone has made the call to delay an official return until next Monday, so the full group can train together.

AFL players can train in groups of only 10 from Wednesday until they have a COVID-19 test and return a negative result before the end of this week."

So they can train as a group at the end of the week, they just have to wait til everyone has a test?

Yea, all these restrictions are way over the top, it's only 3 cases.

Next week: these restrictions are over the top, it's only 30 cases.

Two weeks: its over the top, it's only 300 cases
The sky certainly is falling isn’t it Mark McGowan

I think we'll pop down for a look tomorrow. There'll probably be a few recruits working, if nothing else. I'm keen to see a few players in action. Virtually a whole season has gone by without my having any idea how the likes of Wilson, Bianco, Ruscoe, Rantall and Murphy are tracking. Add to that the draftees and it looks to be a compelling preseason. Hopefully we get to see a lot of development in Bianco and Rantall. We saw glimpses of Kelly's potential, but they were only glimpses. This preseason stands as a potential igniter I think; hope I'm not being overly optimistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back