Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To train as a group they do in the whole league. Which is why clubs will have to wait maybe a week til all teams can train together (half of freo are in quarantine)

I am expecting that next Monday be the Earlist they can Train as a Whole Team

Losing two from your zone press, is likely to be a tipping point where forward presses become ineffective. To me that's what any rule changes should be aimed at - reducing the effectiveness of a zone press.
The best way to reduce congestion is to reduce the number of repeat ball ups. Paying free kicks against players playing stacks on the mill having no intention of getting the ball out or players trying to punch the ball into their chest or defenders just reaching around, holding the ball in and pleading with the umpire (rip it out, if not, it’s a free against the person holding the ball).

I can understand initial ball ups but not the 2nd or 3rd in a row. Pay a free against any player whose intent it is to hold it in. Once the tackler and the ball carrier are on the ground, everyone else stay on their feet, stop the 3rd, 4th or sometimes even a 5th player joining them. Having only 2 players fighting to get it out would also make it easier for the Ump to adjudicate who is holding the ball in.

Change the rules to clearly state that the intent must be to get the ball out.
Make the umpires ball it up immediately the whistle is blown, don’t ask for the ball, reach in, get it, move 5 metres away and throw it up.
Same at boundary throw ins. Get the ball and chuck it in, then watch 2 players go for it, if there is a 3rd blow the whistle.

The best way to stop congestion is to have the ball in play!!!

Last edited:

What a refereeing nightmare.

Its not really. Video technology and gps allows them to see clearly can even have coloured zone overlays on their feeds.

The main umpires just worry about the game itself and have a feed for if a team transgress' that zone stoppage rule.

If both teams have a player out then penalise the last team back in. Simple.

Losing two from your zone press, is likely to be a tipping point where forward presses become ineffective. To me that's what any rule changes should be aimed at - reducing the effectiveness of a zone press.

I think they can cover it even minus 2. They will just find the sweet spot or move 2 from deep out slightly to gap cover.

Think about the Hawks "rolling zone" for example.

The best way to reduce congestion is to reduce the number of repeat ball ups. Paying free kicks against players playing stacks on the mill having no intention of getting the ball out or players trying to punch the ball into their chest or defenders just reaching around, holding the ball in and pleading with the umpire (rip it out, if not, it’s a free against the person holding the ball).

I can understand initial ball ups but not the 2nd or 3rd in a row. Pay a free against any player whose intent it is to hold it in. Once the tackler and the ball carrier are on the ground, everyone else stay on their feet, stop the 3rd, 4th or sometimes even a 5th player joining them. Having only 2 players fighting to get it out would also make it easier for the Ump to adjudicate who is holding the ball in.

Make the umpires ball it up immediately the whistle is blown, don’t ask for the ball, reach in, get it, move 5 metres away and throw it up.
Same at boundary throw ins. Get the ball and chuck it in, then watch 2 players go for it, if there is a 3rd blow the whistle.

That'll just make zone presses more effective as there will be more scrappy hacks to the press, which will keep everyone within a kick of the footy.

Looks like your right Dave. They have to get a negative test by End of week to train together it’s why Richmond are training on Monday. But you can train in groups of 10 before that or you can wait til Monday when everyone would have had their test
ca7c4717775ac4cde2078af523600858.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And hear i was thinking Vicks vapour rub on the chest helped...

It was the first thing that came up when Dave said “Siri, show me a bunch of limp, useless flogs who can’t give the Eagles a semi-thorough workout in the 2018 prelim”.

That and Dave wanting to show other teams training in larger groups, I guess?

I fail to see the relevance of Melbourne at the best of times...

As for all the zone talk. I'm not a fan of the idea, but if I add my 2c's:

I would hope that the zone system works similar to an 'offside' model rather than a hard and fast zone (much like netball). Football is a dynamic game and players shouldn't be penalized because the ball came their way when they weren't intending to be a part of the play.

The 'zone' should be used to stop players creeping forward/flooding back rather than being in the wrong place. This would stop your HBF being able to push too far forward during a 'switch' and on the opposite side, it'd stop HFF's from marking space inside D50.

The policing of this would be a whole other story, because what really is a HBF/HFF? As an example; who's to say that when Jack Crisp comes off the ground for Daicos, that Daicos is now the HBF? It's more likely that whilst Crisp was on the field we were running with a +1 in defense, which would revert back a regular back 6 when a non defender came on as the replacement...

I can't see zones working in the AFL without a complete overhaul of our game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That'll just make zone presses more effective as there will be more scrappy hacks to the press, which will keep everyone within a kick of the footy.
How can paying more free kicks or stopping the multiple ball ups lead to more congestion?
Even a hack out will open the play.
Leigh Matthews wrote a few years ago that the best game he had witnessed that year was one where Umps paid more frees not less. There is nothing wrong with our game when it flows, it's when we allow these packs/rolling mauls to form, that it becomes a bore.

How can paying more free kicks or stopping the multiple ball ups lead to more congestion?
Leigh Matthews wrote a few years ago that the best game he had witnessed that year was one where Umps paid more frees not less. There is nothing wrong with our game when it flows, it's when we allow these packs/rolling mauls to form, that it becomes a bore.

Lot of People reckon the Game is Way Over Coached

I agree, more free kicks must be paid. The rules must be followed. This "releasing" the ball when tackled is pure and simple incorrect disposal. If the free is there, pay it. Teams will soon learn that having players in front of the ball occasionally could be advantageous.

My concern isn't stoppages its that presses mean that the ball is never released. Rules that encourage blind clearances work in favour of a press. I'd like any rule change to work against the press, as I think its the issue.

I'm guessing they start Friday.

I was there from 9:15-10:30am. Only activity I saw was Madgen, Elliott, Ginnivan and Henry doing some runnings and ball skills. Some goal kicking. Seemed to be in their own time, I think; even Ginnivan was wearing pies short and top. Others were in casual.

Then bit late, Rantall joined them. At first I thought it was Macrae, but now I think it was Rantall.

Did saw some player arrive, Grundy going inside. So maybe today its more about meetings and such, but will transition onto the track on Friday.
Shorts and top still ISC?

I'm guessing they start Friday.

So if this guess is right Jen

Is there a chance yours and Apples' thread can get back on track and talk about training
and not rotations, amount of players on the field etc etc........

would be good don't you think

Just been told, Training Friday. 8am...

Because of the groups so its gonna take longer than normal.

Then if everyone tests negative in the covid tests, training as a team on Monday.
Tom Browne said that we will hit the track on Monday but maybe he means as a whole team.

Its not really. Video technology and gps allows them to see clearly can even have coloured zone overlays on their feeds.

The main umpires just worry about the game itself and have a feed for if a team transgress' that zone stoppage rule.

If both teams have a player out then penalise the last team back in. Simple.

I rest my case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back