Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the first thing that came up when Dave said “Siri, show me a bunch of limp, useless flogs who can’t give the Eagles a semi-thorough workout in the 2018 prelim”.

That and Dave wanting to show other teams training in larger groups, I guess?
Except that 4 players is not a large group.

You should get a job in the media with that good quality hyperbole

You think 60 community transmission cases wouldn't send Victoria into another lockdown? Have you been living under a rock the past year? Are you all there??

How the **** do people still not understand this virus in 2021??

You think 60 community transmission cases wouldn't send Victoria into another lockdown? Have you been living under a rock the past year? Are you all there??

How the fu** do people still not understand this virus in 2021??
Just not sure how one case a day is cause for such rampant panic merchant behaviour

Just not sure how one case a day is cause for such rampant panic merchant behaviour

Because under 10 cases a day can easily turn into a 100 cases per day very quickly? Do you not understand that's why covid is such a problem?

One person can go to the MCG and potentially infect thousands, that's why all the experts are concerned...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because under 10 cases a day can easily turn into a 100 cases per day very quickly? Do you not understand that's why covid is such a problem?

One person can go to the MCG and potentially infect thousands, that's why all the experts are concerned...

Do me a favor and take it to another thread champ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trying to keep this thread on track..........an 8am start on Friday? Good luck with that. I take it the fence is still up? The fence and an 8am start makes we wonder if they want us to stay away. Monday sounds like it will be worthwhile venturing down.

Stay up until the Pandamic is Over

The best way to reduce congestion is to reduce the number of repeat ball ups. Paying free kicks against players playing stacks on the mill having no intention of getting the ball out or players trying to punch the ball into their chest or defenders just reaching around, holding the ball in and pleading with the umpire (rip it out, if not, it’s a free against the person holding the ball).

I can understand initial ball ups but not the 2nd or 3rd in a row. Pay a free against any player whose intent it is to hold it in. Once the tackler and the ball carrier are on the ground, everyone else stay on their feet, stop the 3rd, 4th or sometimes even a 5th player joining them. Having only 2 players fighting to get it out would also make it easier for the Ump to adjudicate who is holding the ball in.

Change the rules to clearly state that the intent must be to get the ball out.
Make the umpires ball it up immediately the whistle is blown, don’t ask for the ball, reach in, get it, move 5 metres away and throw it up.
Same at boundary throw ins. Get the ball and chuck it in, then watch 2 players go for it, if there is a 3rd blow the whistle.

The best way to stop congestion is to have the ball in play!!!
The best way to reduce congestion, if it is in fact an issue is to get better skilled and capable players playing football. We recruit too many athletes, that can get to too many contests and don’t have the requisite skills...let the bakers bake the bread.

imagine six Pendlebury’s in the centre square...the most popular game in the world has issues with goals being scored, because quality attacking players and strikers are hard to come by...you don’t see FIFA allowing players to use their hands just because it would make it easier to score.

Recruit footballers and not athletes and I think that will fix the problem

The best way to reduce congestion, if it is in fact an issue is to get better skilled and capable players playing football. We recruit too many athletes, that can get to too many contests and don’t have the requisite skills...let the bakers bake the bread.

imagine six Pendlebury’s in the centre square...the most popular game in the world has issues with goals being scored, because quality attacking players and strikers are hard to come by...you don’t see FIFA allowing players to use their hands just because it would make it easier to score.

Oh yeah each of the 18 clubs is going to just go out and find 6 Pendles and that’ll just sort out our congestion issues...

Two methods stick or carrot:

Stick = zones 🤮
Carrot = bonus point on scoring

It’s coach driven so you need to understand why they’re doing it. IMO, incentives to not do it are a better option than punishment because they’re smarter than us at this so they’ll just find a way around the punishments. At the end of the day congestion is designed to keep a lesser team in a contest longer that they can’t win on normal terms.

Bonus points may not work for shit teams, but they’ll work for average and better teams. I’d suggest it starts with putting a bloke like Ross Lyon on Hocking’s competition committee and putting it to him what would have prevented him from a rules perspective to coach the way he did/ does.

I reckon the best way to beat congestion is to do what Richmond does and keep moving the ball forward at all costs, this doesn't allow the opposition to set up structures and zones, that's why Richmond make the game look so easy at times. I don't think it's much to do with players other than pace. Get pacy players on every line and just keep moving it forward. This is why we recruited so many quick players for this year

Oh yeah each of the 18 clubs is going to just go out and find 6 Pendles and that’ll just sort out our congestion issues...

Two methods stick or carrot:

Stick = zones 🤮
Carrot = bonus point on scoring

It’s coach driven so you need to understand why they’re doing it. IMO, incentives to not do it are a better option than punishment because they’re smarter than us at this so they’ll just find a way around the punishments. At the end of the day congestion is designed to keep a lesser team in a contest longer that they can’t win on normal terms.

Bonus points may not work for sh*t teams, but they’ll work for average and better teams. I’d suggest it starts with putting a bloke like Ross Lyon on Hocking’s competition committee and putting it to him what would have prevented him from a rules perspective to coach the way he did/ does.

Bonus points on scoring doesn’t seem fair... especially because each team doesn’t play each other twice. From umpiring decisions to tribunal decisions, the game seems random enough as it is. Bonus points on scoring will probably bring the AFL another step closer to looking like a Japanese game show!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

But you have to remember if everyone in the group is just new to the club, they are doing something they have not before and it is not as routine as all the other drills. Not everything is mastered in 5 mins explanations or by PPT or whatever they use in their meetings.

What part of either of those two posts indicated that everyone was new to the club? I would suggest that mastery isn’t the aim just not failure and the fact that they were so far from mastery suggests to me that whatever they use to explain drills could be improved.

Bonus points on scoring doesn’t seem fair... especially because each team doesn’t play each other twice. From umpiring decisions to tribunal decisions, the game seems random enough as it is. Bonus points on scoring will probably bring the AFL another step closer to looking like a Japanese game show!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree it advantages the shitter teams over the better teams because of how the draw is structured. For some reason the AFL are fixated on the any given Sunday stuff so they could just go a bit further and have each teams double ups come from their grouping the year before.

I don’t think bonus points are a perfect solution, far from it, but the ridiculousness of zones brings us much closer to that type of stupidity. Main point for me is that a bonus point doesn’t actually change how the game is played just the intent...

Last edited:
What part of either of those two posts indicated that everyone was new to the club? I would suggest that mastery isn’t the aim just not failure and the fact that they were so far from mastery suggests to me that whatever they use to explain drills could be improved.

I agree it advantages the shitter teams over the better teams because of how the draw is structured. I argue harder that the ridiculousness of zones brings us much closer to that myself given a bonus point doesn’t actually change how the game is played just the intent...

Loose Zones dont change how its played in a negative way or in a way against how the game should be played. Just moves the game away from rauling mauls and uber defensive tactics.

Bonus points is like Mickey mouse league stuff in preseason makes scoring a farce. Should never be a consideration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back