Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed that Moore who hadn't been back to training before Christmas was in the vision. Good to see that he didn't look out of shape. Maynard and Pendles were running hard in the vision I saw.
I would assume those that weren't required before the christmas break had been keeping fit in their own way, so I'm not concerned in that aspect.

Surely there's no point in doing this until within 2 weeks of the first pre-season game. If someone gets Covid and it sweeps through an entire club instead of just 9 others, who really cares?

Yeah.. Who cares if 60 people at an AFL club get covid and they spread it around the community and end up having victoria shut down again...

I noticed that Moore who hadn't been back to training before Christmas was in the vision. Good to see that he didn't look out of shape.
If Moore became “out of shape”, they’d need to change what the shape was and not Moore.

That may be true or it may be the game evolved regardless of interchange numbers to its current heavily defensive mindset. The thing I see with the heavy use of interchange was it was only something that ran for a few seasons. I think it was 2013 when one game had 140 interchanges. The numbers increased dramatically for a few seasons.

I dont really believe the argument restricting interchanges is somehow changing the game because it was never part of the game for very long. . It was the spiral in interchange numbers that have allowed the intensity of the game to push higher again and is maybe one thing we can do to slow the game a little and bring back more space into the game. Truth is no one ones for sure which way things will go and as someone who loves the modern game I am not fussed if nothing is done.

I would see zoning the ground or reducing players on the ground as the worst solutions.
Curious why you are anti reduced players on the ground. To me it's the simplest way of reducing congestion and making the game more exciting.

I agree with you on zones, I think static positions is a dead concept and something we need to stop yearning for, which further makes me see no reason to stick with the 5 lines of 3 plus 3 on ballers.

Zoning the ground would be a disaster, particularly if a minimum number of players had to stay in a particular zone at any time.

Could see the situation of a player chasing the ball, or player, and having to stop so as to not leave the zone and give away a penalty.

Even zones for restarts would cause confusion and delays. It is okay at centre bounces when there is plenty of time for players to set up, but not other restarts. Game just moves too quickly.

Loose Zones wouldn't be a disaster if implemented right, ie on all stoppages.
Also no delays required just penalise the teams with a free kick who break it like any rule.
Your thinking to American in having resets...it would be that 6/6/6 needs to be in each 3rd of ground at all stoppages.
If a team is not back as the ball is contested by the designated rucks then a free is paid at the stoppage to the ruck.
Just requires video umpires mic'd up to the central umpire the technology is there.

Teams would then not press down as far from their 3rd as it is too hard to a) get back b) too taxing on the players and c) risky play.

It is a simple solution that points the game back towards an late 90s to early 00s brand.
With minimal impact to the game itself or intrinsic laws.

Curious why you are anti reduced players on the ground. To me it's the simplest way of reducing congestion and making the game more exciting.

I agree with you on zones, I think static positions is a dead concept and something we need to stop yearning for, which further makes me see no reason to stick with the 5 lines of 3 plus 3 on ballers.

Quite simply it won't reduce congestion.

They'll likely just drop out a fp and a flanker. Then same numbers will swamp the ball at the contest and the zones will just spread slightly to make up for the 2 missing.

Your wrong on the zoning too and thinking to netball/ usnfl in implementation.

It wouldn't be static zoning rather loose zoning, wouldn't prevent players exiting and entering areas in play only starter positions on stoppages. See above post.
Its the easiest and the change with the least impact on the intrinsic rules and vision of what the game was designed to be.

Quite simply it won't reduce congestion.

They'll likely just drop out a fp and a flanker. Then same numbers will swamp the ball at the contest and the zones will just spread slightly to make up for the 2 missing.

Your wrong on the zoning too and thinking to netball/ usnfl in implementation.
Losing two from your zone press, is likely to be a tipping point where forward presses become ineffective. To me that's what any rule changes should be aimed at - reducing the effectiveness of a zone press.

I noticed that Moore who hadn't been back to training before Christmas was in the vision. Good to see that he didn't look out of shape. Maynard and Pendles were running hard in the vision I saw.
Moore has never come back out of shape. I’m not sure why you keep harping on about him and Elliott not being there before Xmas.

Moore has never come back out of shape. I’m not sure why you keep harping on about him and Elliott not being there before Xmas.
I know they did not have to be back but with so many newcomers it would have been good for them to get to know them, especially if Moore wants to be a leader. Crisp was setting a great example housing Poulter and Grundy has been doing his bit as a leader housing Truscoe last year and returning before Christmas and working hard.

I know they did not have to be back but with so many newcomers it would have been good for them to get to know them, especially if Moore wants to be a leader. Crisp was setting a great example housing Poulter and Grundy has been doing his bit as a leader housing Truscoe last year and returning before Christmas and working hard.

Moore said during the Year he does not want to do Footy 100% of the Time as he likes his Refreshing himself from the Game so I guess then that why he not want to be there as Much as Possible and do things bit his own way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loose Zones wouldn't be a disaster if implemented right, ie on all stoppages.
Also no delays required just penalise the teams with a free kick who break it like any rule.
Your thinking to American in having resets...it would be that 6/6/6 needs to be in each 3rd of ground at all stoppages.
If a team is not back as the ball is contested by the designated rucks then a free is paid at the stoppage to the ruck.
Just requires video umpires mic'd up to the central umpire the technology is there.

Teams would then not press down as far from their 3rd as it is too hard to a) get back b) too taxing on the players and c) risky play.

It is a simple solution that points the game back towards an late 90s to early 00s brand.
With minimal impact to the game itself or intrinsic laws.

What a refereeing nightmare.

This point of view appears every year. Players have different priorities. Moore will return when he is required to do so. Non issue.

For the track watchers, I'd welcome an updates on new recruit McCreery, given he's most likely to grab a starting spot Round 1.

The forgotten 2019 draftees warrant closer attention, namely Rantall and Wilson. I view the fizzing anticipation regarding last years draftees is premature as I wouldn't expect any more than 2 to grab a handful of games this year.

Is former Lions Academy player Jack Briskey still having a run with us?

Outside of that, of players that have been on the fringe - *How sharp does Eskimo Joe (Sier) look?
*Is Murphy fit and firing? Any noticeable position change?
*Has Tyler Brown added a few kgs? (if you can get near him ask him what he's weighing in at)
*Simiar to above, has Kelly grown any more or bulked up?

Look for any positional changes. e.g. Sidey off the Half-Forward, Tyler Brown off the wing etc.

Shame they're not in Qld / Southport again this year, I relished getting down to watch them train and report back on any obvious positional changes early on in the year.

On SM-T515 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm guessing they start Friday.

I was there from 9:15-10:30am. Only activity I saw was Madgen, Elliott, Ginnivan and Henry doing some runnings and ball skills. Some goal kicking. Seemed to be in their own time, I think; even Ginnivan was wearing pies short and top. Others were in casual.

Then bit late, Rantall joined them. At first I thought it was Macrae, but now I think it was Rantall.

Did saw some player arrive, Grundy going inside. So maybe today its more about meetings and such, but will transition onto the track on Friday.

I'm guessing they start Friday.

I was there from 9:15-10:30am. Only activity I saw was Madgen, Elliott, Ginnivan and Henry doing some runnings and ball skills. Some goal kicking. Seemed to be in their own time, I think; even Ginnivan was wearing pies short and top. Others were in casual.

Then bit late, Rantall joined them. At first I thought it was Macrae, but now I think it was Rantall.

Did saw some player arrive, Grundy going inside. So maybe today its more about meetings and such, but will transition onto the track on Friday.

Don't they need there Covid Test done 1st?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back