Rumour The Trade Rumour File

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they're the Hawks, they get them cheap. They've also won premierships two years running so most players (especially from cellar dwelling teams) are just about sh*tting themselves to get to the Hawks.

As we're based on the complete opposite side of the country, and aren't in Melbourne, we have to pay overs contract wise and draft picks wise. Retaining guys like Fyfe and Mundy on hefty contracts, and keeping Pav, McPharlin and Sandi all playing next year means we don't have the cash to splash.

We've thrown big money at high profile FA's, and they've all either stayed at their home clubs or gone to another Melbourne based team. Hasn't worked. So we've kept gradually building the list using the draft, and by grabbing FA's that are lower profile, but are a good fit for our needs. Is a less sexy approach, but is a less risky approach.

So how do the Hawks do it?

strobe00 kinda just told you.

Maybe Geelong plan on playing him as a winger, but I wouldn't consider him outside pace like the other 2

Stanley is very quick in a straight line. But doesn't have the agility, change of direction and the very quick first few steps that guys like Varcoe and Christensen do. I'd bet that Stanley is faster than Christensen over 60-70 metres, and faster than Varcoe over about 100... but that both of them would smoke him over 20 metres.

Stanley seems like a very good fit as a lead-up forward for the Cats. Tall, quick and a very good tank. Will give the ball a better chance of getting down there to Hawkins, so that he can be played where he's most dangerous... closer to goal... rather than having him have to keep coming up-field to get the ball in to Kersten and Brown and whoever else they want to lob in there.

Ok but we need to move on, we ended up 6th this year (after the finals) and we have an ageing list. Can't just rest on 2013's achievements and be happy to make a GF, just ask St Kilda

Sure, but what more can the club do?

We made the biggest $$ offer for Frawley but he didn't want to leave Victoria.
Ryder's partner wants to live in Adelaide.
Boyd wanted to leave GWS to move closer to his family in Victoria so we were never in the mix.

If the players the club identify that would make the team better aren't happy with what we offer what can we do?

Boyd wanted to leave GWS to move closer to his family in Victoria so we were never in the mix.

If the players the club identify that would make the team better aren't happy with what we offer what can we do?

Don't talk sense, they might think you're a fanboi.

Yeah real strange as their weakness is the midfield.

They absolutely need another decent key forward (Stanley or Clark). Having another bloke that can forward/ruck would also be handy (Clark, as opposed to the perpetually injured Vardy).

They had no choice on Christensen. Varcoe they probably felt they could cover... maybe with someone like Murdoch.

I agree with the above but there are plenty of WA players over east. Are we in their ear or are we too goody two-shoes to do that? Why do none of them declare they want a trade back to WA? Just don't believe we are behind the scenes enough trying to get better other than the draft, FA and rookie draft avenues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They decided not to re-sign Franklin.
Yes but they still have a lot of stars

Maybe we are identifying the wrong players?

It's hilarious to think that people paid to do the job, who's career and reputation is on the line, wouldn't think to be talking to WA guys playing over east.

I think Lyon and our coaches and fitness staff had a lot more to do with getting us to the Grand Final than Bondy. I am sure he is ok or adequate but we need to move to elite.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/br...afl-draft-system/story-e6frg1wu-1225849293074

"We've got a very clear list-management model that focuses on building our list through the draft," recruiting chief Lloyd said. "From that perspective, we're making decisions for the long term, as opposed to the immediate season ahead."

I think Brad Lloyd is also a key player. And they're sticking to their guns. Same message today as back then.

The big difference to trading in the AFL compared to NFL, etc is that in those leagues the teams have the rights to trade a players contract to any other club and not have to get their consent to the trade unless the player has a "no trade" clause in their contract. This then allows the club to move and deal with players to improve their team. I know this goes against player loyalty, etc but it would at least make it much more of an even playing field for us over in the West.

I agree with the above but there are plenty of WA players over east. Are we in their ear or are we too goody two-shoes to do that? Why do none of them declare they want a trade back to WA? Just don't believe we are behind the scenes enough trying to get better other than the draft, FA and rookie draft avenues.

Who do you want us to chase? We've chased Taylor, Black and Hogan, which would've required trades.

Who do you want us to chase? We've chased Taylor, Black and Hogan, which would've required trades.

i reckon that if hogan had wanted us to get him (rather than signing a contract extension), we would have given it a fair shake. we certainly were happy to deal at the table to get Harry Taylor, but he also opted to sign with Geelong.

in the meantime, i think we should look at hiring this bloke to be part of our recruitment team.

Charles-Xavier-professor-charles-francis-xavier-19703878-1600-1200.jpg

Last edited:
McCarthey, J.Martin, S.Coniglio, J.O'Meara, etc... Hogan? when have we chased him?
I'm listing the above as examples in comparison to players like Caddy, Boyd, Jakcsh, O'Rourke that have all gone 'home' in recent off-seasons.

Last edited:
They are good at getting players in that range

It's hard to know. They haven't had picks in that range for a fair few years, as they keep trading them in for players. Jordan Kelly (who, injured maybe?) is the most recent one in 2011... and he's done stuff all. Hallahan was the next most recent, and that was back in 2010... he's on his way out the door in search of some time in the bigs.

Stratton back in 2009 was their last success in that band. I'm sure they've grabbed some good/decent players later than the 40s... but they haven't had a lot of picks in that range in recent times.

I'm sure they'll get some pretty good players in with those picks, and will squeeze every bit out of them with their development program, but GC get a ready-made tough mid with genuine talent, who's been in the Hawks development program for 4 years.

In terms of winning the trade, time will tell... but at this point I'd be betting on GC, particularly as they mightn't have been interested in using those 40s picks anyway. They've still got 8, 15 and 29 in the back pocket.

Just because the trades don't eventuate, doesn't mean we aren't asking the questions and putting offers on the table.

If that's what we are doing, great. Have we done it this year? Why did we go harder last year than this?

We also chased Gumby and got him, which was the right move regardless of how it worked out
I can't remember if we know we chased those guys because the club officially came out and said it, or because of rumour. Regardless, it would seem on exposed evidence it hasn't happened this year, or maybe it's just been a better kept secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back