The Vent Thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been reading some threads on the main board about the effects of the expansion clubs on some teams. The lions are barely mentioned but also lost 2 players like the Bulldogs and Adelaide.
We are also struggling to get young key forwards being consistently in our best 22. No difference really.

Also worth mentioning that the Bulldogs and Crows weren't essentially completely locked out of drafting quality players from their own geographic region for 3-4 years.

Also worth mentioning that the Bulldogs and Crows weren't essentially completely locked out of drafting quality players from their own geographic region for 3-4 years.

And that we finished fourth last and second last in the two years that the 1st round was massively padded out, as opposed to 4th & 10th (Bulldogs) and 11th & 14th (Adelaide).

More an irritated whinge than a vent:

I thought we played really good footy last night. Particularly the second quarter but for most of the game. I thought the way we won was quite different to our other two wins, where we'd had a better preparation than both our opponents and got a couple of lucky breaks late.

It's disappointing that the dominant story out of the game has been 'Bulldogs beaten by bottom team' rather than anything else. I thought it was a genuinely good game of football that deserves better than patronising faint praise for us and hand-wringing for the Dogs.

Yeah we barely rated a mention on a lot of the footy shows despite playing better than Bulldogs for 90% of the match. IMO our draw meant we were anchored to the bottom for a few rounds despite not being an 18th place team which has led many to believe we are worse than we are, ergo Bulldogs must be terrible to lose to us.

Fine by me, I'm happy to fly under the radar.

Also, on the topic of Damien Barrett, I recall him saying Brown was 'absolutely finished' in a footy feed video on afl.com.au after round 2 or 3, yet I see in his sliding doors segment he says anyone who doubted Brown needs to watch closer. Did he just call himself a flog?

If anyone needs any twitter ammo I might be able to track down the video.

Also, on the topic of Damien Barrett, I recall him saying Brown was 'absolutely finished' in a footy feed video on afl.com.au after round 2 or 3, yet I see in his sliding doors segment he says anyone who doubted Brown needs to watch closer. Did he just call himself a flog?

If anyone needs any twitter ammo I might be able to track down the video.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-04-14/john-longmire-was-worst-on-ground

At about 5:30 he starts talking about Brisbane:
"...and Jonathan Brown, the man who once stood for everything that football club is - he's finished Gaz"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-06/sliding-doors-round-12

IF "anyone was calling for Jono Brown to give it up mid season..."
THEN "...they'll realise they were wrong after last week"

I think that's the closest Barrett will come to admitting he's wrong.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-04-14/john-longmire-was-worst-on-ground

At about 5:30 he starts talking about Brisbane:
"...and Jonathan Brown, the man who once stood for everything that football club is - he's finished Gaz"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-06/sliding-doors-round-12

IF "anyone was calling for Jono Brown to give it up mid season..."
THEN "...they'll realise they were wrong after last week"

I think that's the closest Barrett will come to admitting he's wrong.
Exactly what I was thinking of. He was so definitive too, like there's no way he could be wrong about it. Flog.

If...Damien Barrett has ever been right about on-field football matters...

Then...I am yet to see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most dangerous act in the game at the moment is tunnelling. ******** Minson did it several times on Saturday night, but because the umpires have put the whistle away, no free kick was paid. One resulted in one of his players almost having his career/life ended after he shoved Stefan Martin in the back who then cannonballed the pack. Can't remember who the dogs player was but he was on the ground for a good few minutes.

I hope the umpires pick him up on this he may be a genius off field but he's a deadshit on it and undeserving of an all australian guernsey. I'm no Stefan Martin fan (although if he plays exclusively as a ruckman I could be turned) but he owned him on Saturday night.

The most dangerous act in the game at the moment is tunnelling. ******** Minson did it several times on Saturday night, but because the umpires have put the whistle away, no free kick was paid. One resulted in one of his players almost having his career/life ended after he shoved Stefan Martin in the back who then cannonballed the pack. Can't remember who the dogs player was but he was on the ground for a good few minutes.

I hope the umpires pick him up on this he may be a genius off field but he's a deadshit on it and undeserving of an all australian guernsey. I'm no Stefan Martin fan (although if he plays exclusively as a ruckman I could be turned) but he owned him on Saturday night.

Higgins.....

Did anyone else see this rubbish in the Herald Sun's "Barometer" article

ON THE BLOCK: James Aish, Darcy Gardiner and Lewis Taylor were largely ineffective against the Bulldogs on Saturday, with Gardiner only recording six possessions. Aish managed 16 disposals and a goal, with 75% efficiency, so will be looking to double his efforts this week.

I thought they were all good contributors.

Aish managed 16 disposals and a goal, with 75% efficiency, so will be looking to double his efforts this week.

So in order for Aish to get a pass mark he needs to be averaging 32 disposals and 2 goals a game at 75% efficiency ... in his first year ... sounds like our intrepid reporter thinks we have an AA on our hands! :)

Aish managed 16 disposals and a goal, with 75% efficiency, so will be looking to double his efforts this week.

Geez, I have high hopes for Aish too but I think the reporter expecting 150% disposal efficiency is asking a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back