The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

The wholesale feed in tariff in nsw is predicted to go negative in the next 2 hours (not uncommon).
At the moment I cannot curtail my exports to the grid.
My solar system has charged my battery already to 50% after it depleted heating my house last night.
Using Amber Smartshift I stopped charging and im
Now exporting at 2 cents…
At 11:30am I’ll switch to charging battery.
I’ll put heating on high, run the washing machine and clothes dryer and consume as much energy as I can… seems a waste.
This waste is what pumped hydro will absorb…

IMG_2557.png

People in SE QLD are predicted to get paid to use power through Amber electrics wholesale power prices today.
This is because of excess renewables and the inability to store this power.

IMG_2564.jpeg

People in SE QLD are predicted to get paid to use power through Amber electrics wholesale power prices today.
This is because of excess renewables and the inability to store this power.

View attachment 1993177
I assume Duttons Nuclear power plants will be able to replicate this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pay $19 dollars a month to Amber electric. That’s their business plan.

For that $19 it gives people access to the WHOLESALE energy prices… which is basically the spot price + extra for the powerlines and delivery etc..

It also gives me access to Smartshift, a program that automates my battery.
It can buy and sell on my behalf.
I can operate it manually.
It enables me to choose how I use my battery… it has some issues but overall it’s awesome.

All for $19 a month.

Last edited:
So from 175 to 500 watt density in 5 years and that’s it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
it'll be exponential.
Lithium Ion was first capitalised in 1991.
The use in cars was really the trigger for pushing for light weight.
No-one really cared until then.

Its still not an issue for power grid storage.

The wholesale feed in tariff in nsw is predicted to go negative in the next 2 hours (not uncommon).
At the moment I cannot curtail my exports to the grid.
My solar system has charged my battery already to 50% after it depleted heating my house last night.
Using Amber Smartshift I stopped charging and im
Now exporting at 2 cents…
At 11:30am I’ll switch to charging battery.
I’ll put heating on high, run the washing machine and clothes dryer and consume as much energy as I can… seems a waste.
This waste is what pumped hydro will absorb…

View attachment 1992159

At some point i think that appliances will be able to "know" and do all that stuff you're doing without human intervention.
Load your washer, press auto, same with the dishwasher, your fridge is due to defrost, it waits until the next cheap electricity trigger.
Anyone here old enough to remember "electric heat banks"? I remember my Grandmother had one.
I think it was basically a well insulated box of bricks. Thermal storage . The kind of weather Victoria has at the moment, you could heat it up internally during the day, then turn the fan on when it got cold at night.

Off peak electricity is still officially in the wee hours of the morning, at some point they will have to change that.
Its not fair if the MCG lighting is charged at the same rate as those who operate on a single shift from 7am to 6pm.

One is using storage , the other is not.

I pay $19 dollars a month to Amber electric. That’s their business plan.

For that $19 it gives people access to the WHOLESALE energy prices… which is basically the spot price + extra for the powerlines and delivery etc..

It also gives me access to Smartshift, a program that automates my battery.
It can buy and sell on my behalf.
I can operate it manually.
It enables me to choose how I use my battery… it has some issues but overall it’s awesome.

All for $19 a month.

I know from a commercial contract ( Victoria ) :
There are environmental charges, in cents/kwh.
There are network charges, around 4 c/kwh.
There are demand charges ( how much loading on the lines , not so relevant for households , will be massive if you want to charge electric cars/trucks at a servo ).

Normally your household energy provider absorbs these ( and still profits ).

I'm not a big fan of a middle man buying electricity wholesale then on-selling it at a mark up.
Such energy experts as Dodo, and Ovo, show that it's just a marketing junket.

Price

it'll be exponential.
Lithium Ion was first capitalised in 1991.
The use in cars was really the trigger for pushing for light weight.
No-one really cared until then.

Its still not an issue for power grid storage.

Lithium ion is not really being used now.. Lithium phosphate batteries are a lot safer.

I know from a commercial contract ( Victoria ) :
There are environmental charges, in cents/kwh.
There are network charges, around 4 c/kwh.
There are demand charges ( how much loading on the lines , not so relevant for households , will be massive if you want to charge electric cars/trucks at a servo ).

Normally your household energy provider absorbs these ( and still profits ).

I'm not a big fan of a middle man buying electricity wholesale then on-selling it at a mark up.
Such energy experts as Dodo, and Ovo, show that it's just a marketing junket.

most those chargers are in the wholesale rate. Vic might have extra chargers.
Retailers hedge their cost and then pass on a fix price to consumers.
I can get a fixed price of 40c and a feedin of 15c with Engie and a day rate of $1.77 where I live.

But my battery is covering all my usage at the moment, so my usage costs are irrelevant .
Amber is $1.40 day rate and variable price. Plus $19 a month so about $2 a day total.
With Amber the daytime feed in is very low because of renewables and so are usage chargers…
I have a full battery at sunset and it sells excess storage to grid during peak times.
In the last 2 weeks there has been 2 spike periods which is when Amber makes it worth it…
I’m currently in credit $280 - $28in day charges. So $252 in 14 days.
If you can absorb the spike periods or reduce your usage to a minimum then Amber is very cheap to a consumer even without solar or battery. But you have to continually monitor the prices and shift your loads accordingly. You also have the price guarantee to protect you from the massive costs.

Last edited:
It can be hard to get your head around the scales.
Around 5 Acres of land is needed for a 1 MW solar farm. It only produces 1MW under maximum solar conditions.

A Tesla Semi "fast charger" will need 1MW for up to an hour.
So 5 Acres of solar panels could charge an average ( more in summer , less in winter ) of 4 trucks a day.

By comparison , this is what 1MW of gas generation looks like.

How big in area is the nations transport alignments?

have you heard of lithium phosphate? Thought not.

There are a lot of options for home batteries.
Particularly the requirements for low weight and small volume are nowhere near as important.
Even the old lead acid batteries could compete.

The Tesla's are not the best option.

Remove this Banner Ad

The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back