The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why going electric in everything is important.

Rejected energy is part of the equation in electricity.
If a power station is producing 1.2 tonnes of CO2 per Mwh, that INCLUDES the wasted electricity.

I don't think there is a significant difference between cooking with gas or cooking with electricity. ( most people don't use inductive cook tops ).
Long term ( when the electricity grid is "greener" ) it will be better to replace gas with electricity. Right now its not.
Where i work we have a paint oven, and i'm in the process of costing the change from gas to electricity.
Its tricky. For example, heat lamps could be used to only spot heat the parts, but then its harder to regulate the temperature of the product, and there is a risk of overheating internal components.
We consider it a long term project because right now gas heating is way greener than our electricity in terms of reportable CO2.

Rejected energy is part of the equation in electricity.
If a power station is producing 1.2 tonnes of CO2 per Mwh, that INCLUDES the wasted electricity.

I don't think there is a significant difference between cooking with gas or cooking with electricity. ( most people don't use inductive cook tops ).
Long term ( when the electricity grid is "greener" ) it will be better to replace gas with electricity. Right now its not.
Where i work we have a paint oven, and i'm in the process of costing the change from gas to electricity.
Its tricky. For example, heat lamps could be used to only spot heat the parts, but then its harder to regulate the temperature of the product, and there is a risk of overheating internal components.
We consider it a long term project because right now gas heating is way greener than our electricity in terms of reportable CO2.

That’s all true … but the video shows the wasted energy in the production of power.
Electric motors are a lot more efficient than petrol.

That’s all true … but the video shows the wasted energy in the production of power.
Electric motors are a lot more efficient than petrol.

Yes but a "state of the art" petrol motor is no worse than a coal power station.
So going electric, is not a big thing if you are charging your electric car from the grid.

I was driving near Wellington, NSW recently and the amount of solar panels I couldn't believe. Hectares and hectares of them as far back as the eye could see. Absolute blight on the landscape with so many trees they had to remove to place them there.

I was driving near Wellington, NSW recently and the amount of solar panels I couldn't believe. Hectares and hectares of them as far back as the eye could see. Absolute blight on the landscape with so many trees they had to remove to place them there.
Do you have a before and after satellite photo?

I would assume the land would have been cleared long before the panels were installed.

Probably less than 50 trees removed. You made it sound like they demolished a whole forest.

Give it a few years and there will be more vegetation and trees grown back than there ever would be if they left it as grazing country.

And it can still be used for grazing. Sheep love the shade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but a "state of the art" petrol motor is no worse than a coal power station.
So going electric, is not a big thing if you are charging your electric car from the grid.

Right now the grid where I am is 46% green. This will continue increase over time.
When I get an EV I’ll be charging with my excess solar.

Probably less than 50 trees removed. You made it sound like they demolished a whole forest.

Give it a few years and there will be more vegetation and trees grown back than there ever would be if they left it as grazing country.
You'd be pretty stupid to let trees grow amongst a solar farm.

You're NSW right?

46% "green" ( solar cells are black, and plants love CO2 ) on a sunny day?

Not sure what you are saying.

My point was if someone was charging their car right now they would be using 57% renewables.
So the efficiency of renewables added to the efficiency of electric motors makes it extremely efficient. Not much energy loss. IMG_2688.jpeg

What would be the energy required to get 1 litre of petrol from oil in the ground in the Middle East, into a ship, turn to a refinery in Singapore, into a ship to Australia, then into storage in Australia then pumped into a truck, then trucked to a petrol station and then pumped into a car!!!
Compared to someone charging from 57% renewables… there is no comparison. The only future is electric.

Not sure what you are saying.

My point was if someone was charging their car right now they would be using 57% renewables.
So the efficiency of renewables added to the efficiency of electric motors makes it extremely efficient. Not much energy loss. View attachment 2009298

Most people won't be able to charge their car from convenient spot prices on a particular day.

What would be the energy required to get 1 litre of petrol from oil in the ground in the Middle East, into a ship, turn to a refinery in Singapore, into a ship to Australia, then into storage in Australia then pumped into a truck, then trucked to a petrol station and then pumped into a car!!!
Compared to someone charging from 57% renewables… there is no comparison. The only future is electric.

A lot less than the energy in the petrol, or it would be futile.

Most people won't be able to charge their car from convenient spot prices on a particular day.

Companies like OVO have free energy from 11am to 2pm how much convenience do you need?
Most people will get away with 1 charge a week. Just wait until the weekend.

More and more work sites will have charging stations, you’ll see them everywhere in shopping centres, golf clubs, Bunnings etc etc… charging your electric car will be a lot more convenient than going to a stinky petrol station, surrounded by fumes.

Remove this Banner Ad

The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back