The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a lot of options for home batteries.
Particularly the requirements for low weight and small volume are nowhere near as important.
Even the old lead acid batteries could compete.

The Tesla's are not the best option.

It depends on people’s circumstances.. in a lot of cases a Tesla is the best option. Especially retrofitting previous solar installation.

The Tesla Powerwall 3 is going to be extremely popular, with its built in inverter.

It depends on people’s circumstances.. in a lot of cases a Tesla is the best option. Especially retrofitting previous solar installation.

The Tesla Powerwall 3 is going to be extremely popular, with its built in inverter.

So none of the Lithium Phosphate you were suggesting.

That's all pretty good, there are a couple of things though.

If you are generally driving your car to work during the day, and charging at night, you do NOT have 30% renewable's from the grid. That's an average , and as Nut will attest, most of the renewable are mid-dayish.
Pseudo storage is not storage.
--------------------------------------
"They are not efficient, about 70 to 80 per cent of the energy is wasted in heat. So you only use 20 to 30 per cent of the energy into fuels for actually driving around," Professor Smit said."
----------------------------------
Actually the more modern IC engines are closer to 40% , and there is still working being done. Not sure what sort of clunker would be 20% efficient.
This is about a new engine that Nissan are developing for Hybrid power trains ( which will be another curve alltogether on the original article ).

If you are generally driving your car to work during the day, and charging at night, you do NOT have 30% renewable's from the grid. That's an average , and as Nut will attest, most of the renewable are mid-dayish.
as always it depends where you live and how you charge, so absolutely. Thats probably why they average it.

"They are not efficient, about 70 to 80 per cent of the energy is wasted in heat. So you only use 20 to 30 per cent of the energy into fuels for actually driving around," Professor Smit said."
Actually the more modern IC engines are closer to 40% , and there is still working being done. Not sure what sort of clunker would be 20% efficient.
This is about a new engine that Nissan are developing for Hybrid power trains ( which will be another curve alltogether on the original article ).
A cursory look sees 20 to 40% as pretty standard, even the articles i read talked about it getting worse over time as well.

But let's be honest, the average car isnt going to be similar for a f1 car.

Cheap ICE cars aren't the most fuel efficient or most modern.

At the end of the day, thats a far more detailed summary than your (royal you, not you specifically) standard EVs are worse than ICE cars for the environment post.

So if you think ICE cars will get more efficient, why wouldn't you apply that same logic towards electric vehicles and batteries getting more efficient?

So if you think ICE cars will get more efficient, why wouldn't you apply that same logic towards electric vehicles and batteries getting more efficient?

Electric vehicles will have less emissions as our our power grid becomes more renewable ( at night ).
There are issues of efficiency , both in the grid and in the vehicle charging, but its not really relevant to emissions if the grid is renewable.

40% efficient ICE vehicles are on sale now. The original article was saying 20-30%.

as always it depends where you live and how you charge, so absolutely. Thats probably why they average it.

A cursory look sees 20 to 40% as pretty standard, even the articles i read talked about it getting worse over time as well.

But let's be honest, the average car isnt going to be similar for a f1 car.

Cheap ICE cars aren't the most fuel efficient or most modern.

At the end of the day, thats a far more detailed summary than your (royal you, not you specifically) standard EVs are worse than ICE cars for the environment post.

Your typical car buyer these days seems to prefer a huge pickup truck with a fairly rudimentary engine.

But if you are concerned about the environment, and an electric car is unsuitable ( there are still many reasons ), or not affordable. Then there are certainly better choices of ICE car ( including some of the Hybrids ).
Mazda Skyactive for example.

Some of these are more efficient than a coal power station.

Simple rule of thumb, the more fuel you burn, the more CO2 you put out.

Generally the average commute to work by car in Aus is around 20km.. so charging at night during the week is not necessary. Do a full charge on weekends, at home, with your own solar or for free with a company like OVO., between 11-2pm.

The first generation of EV’s are the worst they’ll get.
Next gen cars will have longer life and much longer range.
They are currently mass producing 1000km range batteries with a life of over 1 million kilometers.

An Australian has developed an easy retrofit to turn ICE cars into hybrids.
That will hopefully reduce emissions as well.

Electric vehicles will have less emissions as our our power grid becomes more renewable ( at night ).
There are issues of efficiency , both in the grid and in the vehicle charging, but its not really relevant to emissions if the grid is renewable.

40% efficient ICE vehicles are on sale now. The original article was saying 20-30%.

Yep Snowy 2 will have a massive impact on Australia’s total emissions and so will large scale battery farms.

Another thing to consider is Vehicle to Home (V2H). Which allows Cars to provide its excess Batttery to be used by the home.

A revolution in How we consume energy is happening… and renewables will bring down the cost of energy, making local
Manufacturing attractive again.
Exciting times.

Generally the average commute to work by car in Aus is around 20km.. so charging at night during the week is not necessary. Do a full charge on weekends, at home, with your own solar or for free with a company like OVO., between 11-2pm.

The first generation of EV’s are the worst they’ll get.
Next gen cars will have longer life and much longer range.
They are currently mass producing 1000km range batteries with a life of over 1 million kilometers.

An Australian has developed an easy retrofit to turn ICE cars into hybrids.
That will hopefully reduce emissions as well.

Come on, some people don't even have off street parking.
Others do , but they are renting and their landlord may not like that sort of stuff.

I'd rather buy a proper Hybrid from a proper car maker than one of our quack inventors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on, some people don't even have off street parking.
Others do , but they are renting and their landlord may not like that sort of stuff.

I'd rather buy a proper Hybrid from a proper car maker than one of our quack inventors.

I’m not going to feel sorry for someone who can’t charge at home, when they can go to a charging station and charge their car cheaper than any petrol or hybrid car.

The advantage of Retrofitting ICE cars, into hybrids, is it will reduce the environmental impact of the life of an ICE car.. it’s not stopping you from buying a hybrid.

I own a Toyota Hybrid and I adore it. I didn't get a full electric for 4 main reasons

1. Best options are Teslas atm and I hate them
2. No reasonable way for me to charge the car at work/home
3. I drive more than the average per day so not sure how often I would need to charge
4. There isn't a "jerry can" equivalent that I am aware of

I would love to be able to go on a long trip or something and if I am low on charge, be able to pop out a battery or cell of some kind, put in a new one and continue on. Then ideally, charge that old battery whilst I am driving along

I own a Toyota Hybrid and I adore it. I didn't get a full electric for 4 main reasons

1. Best options are Teslas atm and I hate them
2. No reasonable way for me to charge the car at work/home
3. I drive more than the average per day so not sure how often I would need to charge
4. There isn't a "jerry can" equivalent that I am aware of

I would love to be able to go on a long trip or something and if I am low on charge, be able to pop out a battery or cell of some kind, put in a new one and continue on. Then ideally, charge that old battery whilst I am driving along

Currently some EVs using fast chargers can charge from 20% to 80% in under 15 minutes.
Charging will be a non issue.

Currently some EVs using fast chargers can charge from 20% to 80% in under 15 minutes.
Which is awesome if you have the infrastructure for it. My sister's apartment doesn't for example. Where I live wouldn't have the ability for it without major house works.

And a portable charger for camping and long trips would be awesome.

I am very pro-EV don't get me wrong but they'll need some time before they become properly mainstream

Will be.

Electricity supply infrastructure is still an issue. Easy to have a little back of Bourk petrol station.
Not so easy to supply power for a fast charging station.
Those things are really juiced up.

If you are driving from Melbourne for Sydney you can stop 16 times for 15 minute charges, or stop twice for 1 hour charges.

If it was me i'd be going the 1 hour and co-coinciding it with a meal or something.
It also assumes you can find a place with fast charging.

Personally i'd like one of these.

They work as a full electric vehicle, range of 54 km , enough for most daily commutes, as well as being able to function with an ICE. The electric battery can charge from regenerative braking while in Petrol mode. These sorts of plug in Hybrids are proving a popular choice in Europe as well.

To me daily charging would make the most sense. I'd get in a routine of getting out of my car and plugging it in.
Having to recharge it every few days would leave me wide open to getting distracted and forgetting to charge it, or forgetting i was going out one night or something similar.

Yeah sure... the world would never have caught up with them if not for electric vehicles.

I suppose thermometers were responsible for the historical mercury poisoning at Minimata.

Personally i blame ass-holes.
My point is more people want to 'save the planet' and blame everything else but completely turn a blind eye to deforestation, child slaves in cobalt mines, and everything else negative to do with their ideology. There's a word for it...

My point is more people want to 'save the planet' and blame everything else but completely turn a blind eye to deforestation, child slaves in cobalt mines, and everything else negative to do with their ideology. There's a word for it...

Reducing CO2 output shouldn't really be an ideology but yes it becomes one.
Like i've said, getting a renewable grid is far more important than electric cars right now.

Improving emissions from international shipping is more important than improving emissions from Australia.

DRC has been an issue for a long time , they brought in USA conflict minerals legislation to combat it.
If you use Gold, Tin , Iridium or Tungsten, you are required to prove that it does not come from a rebel operated mine in DRC. IE it has to come from a mine that is known to be above board. A pen stroke could include Cobalt.

The new anti-slavery laws ( which include child labour) also require you to ensure your supply chain doesn't contain illegal aspects. The new (2018) Australian and European laws hold you responsible for your extended supply chain.
Any battery maker utilising such a method is risking a big portion of their global sales.
Even though the USA have yet to make such laws, if it did come out that their supplier was sourcing child mined cobalt, it would reflect poorly on them, and they would likely resource.

ANY corporation can have poor morals, its not specific to the Electric Car industry.
Canned tomatoes from Italy have moral issues, that's not to say Tomato's are bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back