The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd still choose a hybrid over either option at the moment for my current circumstances.

And in a line of work where long drives on highways were required, there'd be reasons relating to driving range and recharging times why a company would purchase petrol-fuelled cars over hybrids or EVs, particularly the lower-priced EVs which are likely to have even less range.

Whilst its great that EV options are increasing, and I hope they continue to become more affordable, your statement regarding purhasing decisions could be more flexible. Not everyone's circumstances are the same.

I've kind of got my eye on that Mitsubishi Outlander, but its still a bit expensive.
BYD make a similarly priced one i like too.

My step mum has an MGB, nice to look at, fun to drive when it's on the road but British engineering always left a little to be desired. I'd assume the Chinese might learn from that.

The Chinese learnt that you can buy a brand and a badge from a defunct English company and people will identify with it better than something like Hooflungdung.

BMW/Mini likes this.

True, but BMW didn't just stick Mini badges on the cars , they actually attempted to make a Mini.
( They also own Rolls Royce ).
Tata bought Jaguar Land Rover, but they kept the engineering and manufacturing intact in England ( where it remains unprofitable ).

The MG badge was sold along with the Rover Group to British Aerospace, then to BMW.
BMW made the little MGTF in the 1990s as well as some Rovers.
Then they sold a whole bundle to an English consortium that promptly went bust.
Then it was sold to Nanjing Automobile Corporation, except Ford had bought the name Rover.
So NAC made the little BMW designed MGTF as well as the Rover cars renamed Roewe , which sounds pretty much the same in Chinese.
Then NAC was bought out by a bigger Chinese Auto plant SAIC.
SAIC actually had some of the newly designed MG's built in the UK, but have now stopped. ( They have a plant in Thailand who have a free trade agreement with Australia ).
So there is a sort of link with the original MG, but it really broke when BMW bought it.

Spending the same amount of money on a hybrid makes no sense, especially if you have the ability to charge your car at home. Even more so if you have solar.
With 2 way charging, your EV will not only save you money on petrol but will reduce your home power usage, with the ability to run your entire house power needs during peak periods. Allowing you to buy power when it’s cheap.

Spending the same amount of money on a hybrid makes no sense, especially if you have the ability to charge your car at home. Even more so if you have solar.
With 2 way charging, your EV will not only save you money on petrol but will reduce your home power usage, with the ability to run your entire house power needs during peak periods. Allowing you to buy power when it’s cheap.

Not everyone is you Nut. You seem to think everyone has your personal circumstances.
Not everyone lives in a house. Solar panels not normally an option.
Not everyone owns their property. Makes installing batteries difficult.
Not everyone drives around the city.
Not everyone has time to micromanage their electricity consumption.

Go back and read why hybrids were being discussed.

Personally , if i had a plug in Hybrid like the Outlander or BYD, i would be able to charge it most nights ( on coal, i don't have a battery and current circumstances are that i would be unwise to install one, will be selling up soon. ) and drive to work and back on full electric. I do enough long distance travel on weekends that i don't want to be stuffing around hunting down country charge stations for a full EV. The modern hybrids have a lot of different operating modes, so even if you are driving on petrol, you are still regeneratively braking and optimizing your economy according to how the car's computer sees fit.

Not everyone is you Nut. You seem to think everyone has your personal circumstances.
Not everyone lives in a house. Solar panels not normally an option.
Not everyone owns their property. Makes installing batteries difficult.
Not everyone drives around the city.
Not everyone has time to micromanage their electricity consumption.

Go back and read why hybrids were being discussed.

Personally , if i had a plug in Hybrid like the Outlander or BYD, i would be able to charge it most nights ( on coal, i don't have a battery and current circumstances are that i would be unwise to install one, will be selling up soon. ) and drive to work and back on full electric. I do enough long distance travel on weekends that i don't want to be stuffing around hunting down country charge stations for a full EV. The modern hybrids have a lot of different operating modes, so even if you are driving on petrol, you are still regeneratively braking and optimizing your economy according to how the car's computer sees fit.

So you have the ability to charge.
Range of EVs now pushing 500km+
Charge for free on weekends, Using renewables.

Yeah Victorian Solar, you should see how much we've been getting on weekends lately.

A Tesla 3 goes around 385km on a Freeway. ( Mainly reduced by wind resistance i assume ), less if you tow. Less if you run the heater or the aircon.
Do not want range anxiety.
Do not want to be looking for out of the way charge points that may not have fast charge.

People with EV's going from Sydney to Canberra have written their painful experiences.

If i was still with my wife, i'd be pretty happy with the smallest crappiest EV i could buy, but we'd still have a more capable second vehicle.

Add on top of that 385k range on the freeway, I don’t really want to charge it below 20% or above 80% so it becomes every 230km that I’m stopping.

In full support of EVs and would absolutely go for it if all I did was city driving but I don’t. Also don’t have the luxury of 2 vehicles right now.

Add on top of that 385k range on the freeway, I don’t really want to charge it below 20% or above 80% so it becomes every 230km that I’m stopping.

In full support of EVs and would absolutely go for it if all I did was city driving but I don’t. Also don’t have the luxury of 2 vehicles right now.

The Toyota RAV uses a similar drive train to the Camry, it won't run on pure electric and only has a small battery.
In city driving its more efficient than a regular car , due to low speed electric use, and regenerative braking. On freeways not so much.

The Nissan X=Trail works more like a Diesel Electric, it has a full electric drive train with a small battery which is constantly being charged by an ICE.
Its probably better than 100% charging an EV off coal, because the engine gets to run at maximum efficiency most of the time. ( People have said they seem weird to drive, because you put your foot down and the car goes faster , but the engine doesn't change, yet it might decide it needs to work a bit harder while you are going down a hill , all decided by the computer ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its going to continually improve, but Govts need to get infrastructure right.

Next car will be an EV like the vast majority of Australians by average daily use is minimal, the occasions where I drive long distances (which is regularly) I've already seen the charging stations so im lucky.

Yeah its not. It never has been.

No idea why people continue to say it is.

Yeah it can be .

Here's why i say it can be. So now you have an idea.

Burning coal produces more CO2 than burning Oil. There are also transmission losses along the way and even charging losses.
The Hybrid Nissan, is essentially an oil burning generator. Like a Diesel electric train. The engine is optimised for efficiency rather than drive ability.
It benefits from the efficiency of an electric drive train ( regeneration ).

The PHEV vehicles at least have potential to run on renewables.

A Nissan X-Trail Hybrid uses 6.1 Litres per 100km petrol, ( test results ) which will produce 14.6 Kg CO2 per 100km ( 2.4 kgCO2 per litre burned - average for ic engines ).

A Tesla 3 uses 14.7kwh/100km ( published results ) . In Victoria The average CO2 per KwH is 0.86 ( official govt value ) , but it could go as high as 1.2 on still nights or as low ( my estimate - based on aemo coal percentage and power station reported figures ) as 0.5.
If you mainly charge your Tesla at night, it could be responsible for as much as 17.6 kg CO2 per 100km.
Average victorian rate, 12.6 KgCO2 per 100km, or at best around 7kg CO2/100km. Have a home setup like Nut, and you can go emission free.

The Nissan is a bit of an oddball. The Hybrid only gets around 20% better efficiency than the regular drive train X-Trail.
Its just a petrol car with a more efficient drive train.

Yeah it can be .

Here's why i say it can be. So now you have an idea.

Burning coal produces more CO2 than burning Oil. There are also transmission losses along the way and even charging losses.
The Hybrid Nissan, is essentially an oil burning generator. Like a Diesel electric train. The engine is optimised for efficiency rather than drive ability.
It benefits from the efficiency of an electric drive train ( regeneration ).

The PHEV vehicles at least have potential to run on renewables.

A Nissan X-Trail Hybrid uses 6.1 Litres per 100km petrol, ( test results ) which will produce 14.6 Kg CO2 per 100km ( 2.4 kgCO2 per litre burned - average for ic engines ).

A Tesla 3 uses 14.7kwh/100km ( published results ) . In Victoria The average CO2 per KwH is 0.86 ( official govt value ) , but it could go as high as 1.2 on still nights or as low ( my estimate - based on aemo coal percentage and power station reported figures ) as 0.5.
If you mainly charge your Tesla at night, it could be responsible for as much as 17.6 kg CO2 per 100km.
Average victorian rate, 12.6 KgCO2 per 100km, or at best around 7kg CO2/100km. Have a home setup like Nut, and you can go emission free.

The Nissan is a bit of an oddball. The Hybrid only gets around 20% better efficiency than the regular drive train X-Trail.
Its just a petrol car with a more efficient drive train.
Your anecdotal observations are never going to be greater than credible studies done to determine EVs even powered by coal are more efficient/less polluting.

Edit - just to be clear, I do get the argument for some people to buy a hybrid given the current EV market, but ultimately they are nothing more than a stop gap.

Last edited:
Your anecdotal observations are never going to be greater than credible studies done to determine EVs even powered by coal are more efficient/less polluting.

Edit - just to be clear, I do get the argument for some people to buy a hybrid given the current EV market, but ultimately they are nothing more than a stop gap.

And which of my "observations" were "anecdotal".
Better at English than Maths in school weren't you.

All these cars are equally low pollution when sitting in a driveway which in a lot of cases is all but 100- 200 hours a year.
99% of the time

Excuse me for not rushing to spend $50k and thinking I’m saving the planet.
Spend on rooftop solar, battery and it’s working at least 30% of the time

Maybe Aussies aren’t so dumb after all

And which of my "observations" were "anecdotal".
Better at English than Maths in school weren't you.

Your post was the equivalent of my next door neighbour explaining why climate change is a myth because he has been measuring rain in rain gauge for 40 years.

You know anecdotal 😉

All these cars are equally low pollution when sitting in a driveway which in a lot of cases is all but 100- 200 hours a year.
99% of the time

Excuse me for not rushing to spend $50k and thinking I’m saving the planet.
Spend on rooftop solar, battery and it’s working at least 30% of the time
No is telling you to rush out and spend money, the consensus is, run your existing one out and when you need a new one consider it.

But the issue isn't when they not moving. A bit like you don't buy solar for the excess you don't use.
Maybe Aussies aren’t so dumb after all
I'm not convinced

Remove this Banner Ad

The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back