The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Private companies are investing in fast chargers..

Even at $1 a kilowatt it’s cheaper than petrol and a handy profit for the Charging company,

A Tesla 3 is 13 kwh/100km. So at a dollar, its $13.00 per 100km.
Non- plug in hybrids ( RAV4, X-Trail etc ) get around 7 l/100km so maybe $14.00 per hundred on a bad week.

Most people would budget charging from home most times, which is average of around 30c. Much better.
The electric car advantage is skewed a lot towards city commuting and home use.

I figure it would cost me $5 a day to drive to work electrically, while its costing me more than double that in my current old clunker.

Plenty of options out there for cheap renewables. 9 cents a kilowatt from 10am to 3pm.
Charge you car then use the power from it at night.

Sorry i'm at work during the day, and i use my car to get there.
Those rates are not available for businesses.

Sure, i'm certain that if people abuse complimentary charging they won't discontinue it long term. ( that's me being sarcastic ).

The entire point of renewables and especially solar is to absorb as much during the day and shift that to night time use…
Daytime solar is so cheap… and its capacity needs to be utilized.
I’m in the process, Via Amber electric, to curtail my inverters to zero export during negative feed in prices… a complete waste of free power that could go to someone!!! The more EVs that can charge and store this excess power the better it is for everyone…. Except fossil fuel companies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends massively on location.
Localvolts aren’t in vic yet… but you can do peer to peer deals.

I will be looking at alternatives.
We mostly operate over day shift. The current plans are very behind the time ( traditional ,off peak in the early morning ). So we are essentially subsidising those who use electricity at night.

There is resistance to locking into wholesale spot prices, the company wants a certain amount of predictability.

Note that our commercial rates are Waaaaay cheaper than normal home rates, but we get more network charges.

I will be looking at alternatives.
We mostly operate over day shift. The current plans are very behind the time ( traditional ,off peak in the early morning ). So we are essentially subsidising those who use electricity at night.

There is resistance to locking into wholesale spot prices, the company wants a certain amount of predictability.

Note that our commercial rates are Waaaaay cheaper than normal home rates, but we get more network charges.
Have you ever looked at a PPA?

Have you ever looked at a PPA?

Looking at one now, its the network charges that are the killer.
Its a massive saving if we can get solar on the roof ( even third party owned solar ), but we have a landlord who seems to put his hands over his ears yelling "not listening".

The price per KWh is around the same as what we currently pay, but the network charges are half of our bill.

The price per KWh is around the same as what we currently pay, but the network charges are half of our bill.

This is a massive issue in my opinion.
If the wholesalers continue to increase network charges whilst the cost of solar and batteries etc, continue to fall, then they’ll see more and more businesses and homes go completely off grid, leaving less people and businesses to pay the network costs … which will lead to network costs becoming more and more expensive.
That’s actually called a death spiral.

If I was doing a new build I’d go completely off grid .
The system I’ve got now has that option. But I’m making too much money off the LNP’s 9 years of no energy policy,

This is actually pretty scary. The power of social media. Organisations that are anti-nuclear are getting banned on social media, this includes the ACF, Renew etc. The nuclear lobby are running a campaign to report them as spam or other violations. This is pretty low conduct, by folks who are trying to deceive you because they know the truth destroys their case for nuclear energy in Australia.

Not bad for August

Imagine nuclear trying to compete… 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That's the problem, it's not going to happen by the next election, but at some point in the near future the grid will run on 100% renewable for periods of time.

Imagine a LNP win at the next election and tying us down with decades of nuclear power costs.

Not bad for August

Imagine nuclear trying to compete… 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Recorded half an hour at 67% last August, so not an unusual time of year to get good solar. Of course its less daylight hours so may not be the most over the course of the day.
Fun fact, Solar Panels work better in the cold than in the heat.
They recorded 72% last October.

The worst in August has been around 13% at 4:00am

Remove this Banner Ad

The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back