Media The Wayward Award - S34

Remove this Banner Ad

TWA.png

Everyone always talks about how many goals or how many contested marks a forward can get, but no one talks about how many behinds a forward kicks. This is mainly because kicking behinds is normally seen as 'missing' the goals or being inaccurate. I want to put an end to this preconceived notion that kicking behinds is a bad thing. Behinds can be a very good thing. They can even win games.

Take for example the game on the weekend between the Coney Island Warriors and Dragons FFC. The game finished with the scoreline 13.2 (80) vs 13.12 (90). Now what do you see was the difference on the day? I don't see any difference in goals. That's right, the Dragons kicked more behinds which allowed them to come out victorious. Without those extra behinds they would've lost. Behinds are very important, which is why I believe we should have awards for such things.

The Wayward Award
TM will be given at the end of the season to the player (most likely a forward) that kicks the most behinds for season 34. There will also be a minor medal called the Can't Kick For Crap AwardTM given to the player that kicks the most behinds without scoring a single goal for this season.

The Wayward AwardTM

Moz (WON) - 16 Behinds - 9 Goals

Headless (MBD) - 9 Behinds - 5 Goals

Cap (LVB) - 8 Behinds - 6 Goals

Moz is already out with a big early lead in the season. Only 3 rounds have been completed so far and yet, Moz has managed to get 16 behinds. Impressive. Sitting behind Moz (yes the pun was intended) is Headless with 9 behinds, who didn't seem to want to do anything on the weekend. Head got 0 for the entire game and I don't think he even left the bench. If you want to get more behinds you need to get on the field! Cap rounds out our top 3 with 8 behinds but is getting dangerously close to kicking more goals than behinds. If I were you Cap, I'd start kicking more to the left.

Can't Kick For Crap AwardTM

brahj (GCR) - 5 Behinds - 0 Goals

Heisenberg_ (OOB) - 5 Behinds - 0 Goals

DragoDelph (SDR) - 3 Behinds - 0 Goals

Proper Gander (MBD) - 3 Behinds - 0 Goals

And a bunch of other no names on 2 Behinds only (up your game, you know who you are)

Brahj and Heisenberg (is that a fake drug boss name?) are both on 5 behinds after 3 rounds and are fighting for the top spot of the award. DragoDelph and Proper Gander aren't that far behind (another pun, how lovely), but the main concern this early in the season is that they don't kick any goals. Just focus on not scoring goals and you all will have a chance to win it at the end of the season. Don't screw up and accidentally mark the ball in the goal square. You'll have to kick the goal then, or you'll be dropped from the team. So just make sure you only get the ball on 45 degree angles at goal. Got it? Good.

View attachment 1486786

Everyone always talks about how many goals or how many contested marks a forward can get, but no one talks about how many behinds a forward kicks. This is mainly because kicking behinds is normally seen as 'missing' the goals or being inaccurate. I want to put an end to this preconceived notion that kicking behinds is a bad thing. Behinds can be a very good thing. They can even win games.

Take for example the game on the weekend between the Coney Island Warriors and Dragons FFC. The game finished with the scoreline 13.2 (80) vs 13.12 (90). Now what do you see was the difference on the day? I don't see any difference in goals. That's right, the Dragons kicked more behinds which allowed them to come out victorious. Without those extra behinds they would've lost. Behinds are very important, which is why I believe we should have awards for such things.

The Wayward Award
TM will be given at the end of the season to the player (most likely a forward) that kicks the most behinds for season 34. There will also be a minor medal called the Can't Kick For Crap AwardTM given to the player that kicks the most behinds without scoring a single goal for this season.

The Wayward AwardTM

Moz is already out with a big early lead in the season. Only 3 rounds have been completed so far and yet, Moz has managed to get 16 behinds. Impressive. Sitting behind Moz (yes the pun was intended) is Headless with 9 behinds, who didn't seem to want to do anything on the weekend. Head got 0 for the entire game and I don't think he even left the bench. If you want to get more behinds you need to get on the field! Cap rounds out our top 3 with 8 behinds but is getting dangerously close to kicking more goals than behinds. If I were you Cap, I'd start kicking more to the left.

And a bunch of other no names on 2 Behinds only (up your game, you know who you are)

Brahj and Heisenberg (is that a fake drug boss name?) are both on 5 behinds after 3 rounds and are fighting for the top spot of the award. DragoDelph and Proper Gander aren't that far behind (another pun, how lovely), but the main concern this early in the season is that they don't kick any goals. Just focus on not scoring goals and you all will have a chance to win it at the end of the season. Don't screw up and accidentally mark the ball in the goal square. You'll have to kick the goal then, or you'll be dropped from the team. So just make sure you only get the ball on 45 degree angles at goal. Got it? Good.
Dragons kick plenty of behinds... maybe even Ken dolls' hard plastic butts!

Just give me the trophy now
I would, but the trophy makers haven't finished making it yet (had to try and search for cheaper materials, we're not made of money). Just keep kicking behinds and you'll get it when we have it ready.

I would, but the trophy makers haven't finished making it yet (had to try and search for cheaper materials, we're not made of money). Just keep kicking behinds and you'll get it when we have it ready.
Stuck it Brenton Davy. At least I'm gonna win something for my shit kicking this season. What did you win last season?

You win an all expenses paid trip back to Baghdad.
Excellent.

We played at home yesterday so the trip will include a 2 day stopover visit to every other country in the world on our way back to Baghdad.

Happy days and thank you for your generosity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1486786

The Wayward Award

The Wayward AwardTM

I'm going to celebrate like Jake Lever when I actually nail one from the wing.

I'm going to celebrate like Jake Lever when I actually nail one from the wing.
What sort of celebration if you kick a goal?

Everyone always talks about how many goals or how many contested marks a forward can get, but no one talks about how many behinds a forward kicks.
That is inherently untrue.

There was talk in the past to have an award for the most behinds for the season, it was going to be the DemonJim Medal if it went through.

There was talk in the past to have an award for the most behinds for the season, it was going to be the DemonJim Medal if it went through.
The DemonJim Award is for those that come 2nd in the Mobbs

If it went through would that not make it a goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back