Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a pity Schapelle wasn't out of jail back when this reality show was on, she would have been perfect for it.

895022-4-optimized.jpg

And Mark Wahlberg was a racist POS who near bashed a Vietnam veteran to death, then applies to have his criminal record waived so he can open his restaurant chain in certain states, despite having never apologised or compensated his victim.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Wahlberg pisses me off more than most. Read that when questioned on whether he'd asked the victim for forgiveness IIRC he said words to the effect that through God he had forgiven himself so he didn't need to.

Look I get it, but I also don't get it.

There's an advert running in Victoria (and I assume nationwide) about this young kid who is throwing a tennis ball at his sister. Long story short there's like a "boys will be boys" feeling (I guess) and then the end is, don't be a shit wombat lad finishing with "respect women" or similar.

Now I get it, but my brother use to set me alight with jiffy firelighters and cheap vodka so where is my advert?

I found when we had foxtel a lot of stuff would just sort of “be on” movie channel or fox and hbo or whatever. Streaming wise you have to pick something and if I’m tuned out that’s more effort than I can bothered with.

Free to air gets that but between the ads and general shit they show it’s honestly easier to Chuck music or YouTube or something on.

Weird time in oersonal entertainment where too much choice and variety is the issue.

I'll often peruse FTA for something to have on in the background if I know I won't be watching it properly, which, when I'm always zombified from a toddler with ADHD, is often.

There's no point hunting for something on the apps when I know I won't be able to invest attention in it. It's a waste.

There's a lot more people in society that just... can do what they want more than they'd have you believe, so much so that the concept of having something on the TV that's not exactly what you want, is mystifying to them.

Nice privilege.

Last edited:

There's an advert running in Victoria (and I assume nationwide) about this young kid who is throwing a tennis ball at his sister. Long story short there's like a "boys will be boys" feeling (I guess) and then the end is, don't be a sh*t wombat lad finishing with "respect women" or similar.

Now I get it, but my brother use to set me alight with jiffy firelighters and cheap vodka so where is my advert?
I find it weird that he's throwing it at his sister when they say "it's just cos he likes her". I distinctly remember a boy smashing me in the face with a basketball when I was 11 was brushed off with "he's just mean to you because he likes you" and most other women my age would have experienced the same. I think the message is supposed to be stop dismissing boys' shit behaviour and hold them accountable, but it's a very awkward ad. Siblings beat each other up all the time, it's different.

There's an advert running in Victoria (and I assume nationwide) about this young kid who is throwing a tennis ball at his sister. Long story short there's like a "boys will be boys" feeling (I guess) and then the end is, don't be a sh*t wombat lad finishing with "respect women" or similar.

Kicking boys and blokes for being male is the flavour of the month.

I get it.

#putoutyourjiffies

I found when we had foxtel a lot of stuff would just sort of “be on” movie channel or fox and hbo or whatever. Streaming wise you have to pick something and if I’m tuned out that’s more effort than I can bothered with.

Free to air gets that but between the ads and general sh*t they show it’s honestly easier to Chuck music or YouTube or something on.

Weird time in oersonal entertainment where too much choice and variety is the issue.

During lockdown i began watching FTA stuff, usually movies. ads were great as it allowed breaks.

i also totally get that there's effort in searching for things to watch on netflix etc, and by the time you've found something to watch, much time as elapsed.

Found the same with uber eats etc

I don't do ads unless there is no alternative. I'll torbrowserettvutorrent the programs I'm interested in, with someone else already taking the ads out. Even back in the day when I had foxtel, prerecording and FF through the ads was my friend.

Did you know that broadcasters insert a brief flash of completely black screen to delineate the start and end of ad breaks? I never knew that. A video editing program I used did. Awesome. Record a show through the DVB card on my PC, load it in the editor, click a button and the ads magically disappeared. Resave and watch. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't do ads unless there is no alternative. I'll torbrowserettvutorrent the programs I'm interested in, with someone else already taking the ads out. Even back in the day when I had foxtel, prerecording and FF through the ads was my friend.

Did you know that broadcasters insert a brief flash of completely black screen to delineate the start and end of ad breaks? I never knew that. A video editing program I used did. Awesome. Record a show through the DVB card on my PC, load it in the editor, click a button and the ads magically disappeared. Resave and watch. :thumbsu:

that was great software, used it alot when my wife watched masterchef and the biggest loser when they first came out

I get it.

#putoutyourjiffies

During lockdown i began watching FTA stuff, usually movies. ads were great as it allowed breaks.

i also totally get that there's effort in searching for things to watch on netflix etc, and by the time you've found something to watch, much time as elapsed.

Found the same with uber eats etc
Ads never bother me. Mute them everytime. And totally agree with netflix- stayed at a hotel with NF channels i could not make a ****ing decision

Ads never bother me. Mute them everytime. And totally agree with netflix- stayed at a hotel with NF channels i could not make a ******* decision
and similarly with food delivery apps. by the time ive scrolled and decided i am no longer hungry.

But not knowing when the ad will interrupt is part of the fun

If you can't tell when an ad is imminent in Masterchef you are not a true fan.

I find it weird that he's throwing it at his sister when they say "it's just cos he likes her". I distinctly remember a boy smashing me in the face with a basketball when I was 11 was brushed off with "he's just mean to you because he likes you" and most other women my age would have experienced the same. I think the message is supposed to be stop dismissing boys' sh*t behaviour and hold them accountable, but it's a very awkward ad. Siblings beat each other up all the time, it's different.
Thanks for being more articulate than I could.

I also remember the below ad and thinking it completely missed the mark, considering that young females were representing an increasingly growing number of "problem drinkers" in the population.

Feel like I've gone all #notallmen on my last two posts :think:

Would love to see Netflix create channels to go with their existing On Demand model. It's got the "random show" functionality but it's not the same.

I wrote some software for a company ages ago that was doing market research in this area, and it was definitely a thing where people would get stage fright when given a seemingly unlimited array of shows and movies to watch. But would often happily just settle for what was on Channel X. Oooo look there is the Godfather on Crime Movies. Haven't seen that in ages.

Two barriers I can see is they might not be licensed to show their content in this manner, and secondly it might not fit in with the best way to keep people in their ecosystem. I can't remember the end results of the above work I did - 9 years ago or something and it was all a bit poxy anyway. I would imagine Netflix have probably done their research in this sphere and would not surprise me at all if the result showed people watching pre-programmed content were happy to watch an hour or so and move on, but people watching on demand would binge 3-4-5+ hours at a time.

Thanks for being more articulate than I could.

I also remember the below ad and thinking it completely missed the mark, considering that young females were representing an increasingly growing number of "problem drinkers" in the population.

You have to follow the checklist.

Is the person exhibiting behaviour that should be discouraged? If yes proceed to Q2.
Is the person a white male? If yes, subject matter OK. If no, recast as victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back