Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate those don't drink, don't smoke and don't eat junk food ads they play during the footy.

You're just sitting down on the couch with a beer and a smoke with a Whiskey Whopper ready to go and then these ads come on.

Drinking can cause you cancer.

Smoking can rip your voicebox out.

Eating junk food attacks your heart and your liver and then you die a slow horrible death.

I usually change the channel during those ads and then I miss half the footy as I'm watching Antiques Roadshow.

Smoking is about the only thing that is legal that is really off limits these days in a media sense. I remember the Benson and Hedges one dayers in the 90s and Michael Schumacher driving around with a giant Marlboro wing on his Ferrari.

The AFL has 10 major corporate partners, 4 of which are Carlton Draught, Coca Cola, McDonald's and Sportsbet. As with most things they are full of shit. They like to weigh in on social issues but will accept money from pretty much anyone.

It's not really up to the AFL who Channel 7 and Foxtel sell advertising minutes to, but if I was running a community health campaign I wouldn't waste my money buying slots during a telecast that is going to be saturated in advertising from the above.

When are we going to see the gambling leads to poverty, homelessness and depression ads,

The AFL are full of shit when they keep running the gambling ads, like Shaq and The Answer with the Pointsbet ads.

Rich American basketballers selling gambling ads to young gullible Australian kids, if I gamble I can be like Shaq living the high life.

Would love to see Netflix create channels to go with their existing On Demand model. It's got the "random show" functionality but it's not the same.

I wrote some software for a company ages ago that was doing market research in this area, and it was definitely a thing where people would get stage fright when given a seemingly unlimited array of shows and movies to watch. But would often happily just settle for what was on Channel X. Oooo look there is the Godfather on Crime Movies. Haven't seen that in ages.

Two barriers I can see is they might not be licensed to show their content in this manner, and secondly it might not fit in with the best way to keep people in their ecosystem. I can't remember the end results of the above work I did - 9 years ago or something and it was all a bit poxy anyway. I would imagine Netflix have probably done their research in this sphere and would not surprise me at all if the result showed people watching pre-programmed content were happy to watch an hour or so and move on, but people watching on demand would binge 3-4-5+ hours at a time.
A random quiz then spin button might work
Ask you a few questions then press, it goes and pick a film at random according to your answers, then gets to know you and just needs a random choice button press without the quiz

You have to follow the checklist.

Is the person exhibiting behaviour that should be discouraged? If yes proceed to Q2.
Is the person a white male? If yes, subject matter OK. If no, recast as victim.
Yes life continues to be so hard for us white males. I feel personally victimized every day.

Smoking is about the only thing that is legal that is really off limits these days in a media sense. I remember the Benson and Hedges one dayers in the 90s and Michael Schumacher driving around with a giant Marlboro wing on his Ferrari.

The AFL has 10 major corporate partners, 4 of which are Carlton Draught, Coca Cola, McDonald's and Sportsbet. As with most things they are full of sh*t. They like to weigh in on social issues but will accept money from pretty much anyone.

It's not really up to the AFL who Channel 7 and Foxtel sell advertising minutes to, but if I was running a community health campaign I wouldn't waste my money buying slots during a telecast that is going to be saturated in advertising from the above.
Reminds me I saw a clip for a rare Torana that was up for auction and they flashed to footage of Brock racing around Bathurst but were blurring out the Marlboro sign on the car so you couldn't even see the car. Was ridiculous.

Reminds me I saw a clip for a rare Torana that was up for auction and they flashed to footage of Brock racing around Bathurst but were blurring out the Marlboro sign on the car so you couldn't even see the car. Was ridiculous.
I got a jolly once to fly to Melbourne and then in a corporate box at the MCG, it was the game Tuck broke Bartlett's games record against Melbourne and they had whiskey tumblers filled with ciggys. Those were the days.

I miss the good old days of Benson and Hedges sponsoring the cricket.

They banned those ads because it promoted smoking for kids but I never knew anyone that smoked Benson and Hedges, we smoked PJs and Winfields.

They banned those ads because it promoted smoking for kids but I never knew anyone that smoked Benson and Hedges, we smoked PJs and Winfields.

Its funny we have to ban advertising smokes but we dont ban smokes altogether......

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ rule

Speak for yourself, I still enjoy a special filter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How prude Americans are. I saw these advertised on Facebook this morning. They look great to me. Then I read the comments and it's mostly Americans talking about how short they are. Lol wut? They're not that short.

20210409_122710.jpg

Winfield nailed the Australian ciggie market when they got Hoges selling their product.

Winnie Reds only 40 cents, those were the days.

Hell, that made me feel like a durrie even now!

I remember about them trying to convince the old man to change brands because I was worried that his Stuyvesants just weren't cool enough.*

* what I was more worried about was how I would look smoking a less cool brand, given blagging a pack from the old man's carton was one of my primary supplies of durries at the time.

Hell, that made me feel like a durrie even now!

I remember about them trying to convince the old man to change brands because I was worried that his Stuyvesants just weren't cool enough.*

* what I was more worried about was how I would look smoking a less cool brand, given blagging a pack from the old man's carton was one of my primary supplies of durries at the time.
When I smoked the cool kids had BnH and Styvos,or rollies, if you were a bit pretentious it was Du Maurier or Gitanes or Sobranie Black Russian
The cool girls had Sobranie Cocktails

I remember the old Dunhill ads before the movies in the early 80s, you'd be waiting to watch ET or Return of the Jedi and there would be a Dunhill ad.

Like this one.

Dunhill were the posh ciggies, they were 80 cents back then rather than 40 cents like Winnie Reds.

I started on Dunhill Blue's at about $2.50 for 25.

Peter Jackson or Winnie Blues were our favourites back in high school and they were around the same price.

We had a smokers corner under a tree at our sports oval and the teachers turned a blind eye to it, some of them would even come and pinch one.

Johnny Mellencamp was our role model, the only time he wasn't smoking was when he was playing guitar, he was a pack a day man back then.

Like Keith Richards I don't know how he's still alive.

Peter Jackson or Winnie Blues were our favourites back in high school and they were around the same price.

We had a smokers corner under a tree at our sports oval and the teachers turned a blind eye to it, some of them would even come and pinch one.

Johnny Mellencamp was our role model, the only time he wasn't smoking was when he was playing guitar, he was a pack a day man back then.

Like Keith Richards I don't know how he's still alive.

I find it hard to believe that my now eye wateringly expensive, highly image conscious high school would turn a blind eye to their students casually lighting up as they did when I was there.

I find it hard to believe that my now eye wateringly expensive, highly image conscious high school would turn a blind eye to their students casually lighting up as they did when I was there.

My high school had a lot of drug problems so smoking was the least of their worries.

It's now been closed and replaced with an international students school.

We were the WA version of Ridgemont High full of surfers and stoners.

I hate those don't drink, don't smoke and don't eat junk food ads they play during the footy.

You're just sitting down on the couch with a beer and a smoke with a Whiskey Whopper ready to go and then these ads come on.

Drinking can cause you cancer.

Smoking can rip your voicebox out.

Eating junk food attacks your heart and your liver and then you die a slow horrible death.

I usually change the channel during those ads and then I miss half the footy as I'm watching Antiques Roadshow.

The AFL has 10 major corporate partners, 4 of which are Carlton Draught, Coca Cola, McDonald's and Sportsbet. As with most things they are full of sh*t. They like to weigh in on social issues but will accept money from pretty much anyone.

Got it in one. Happy to take the $$$$, but pretend to be concerned about societal issues like obesity, alcoholism, gambling.

as long as they say gamble responsibly its ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back