Things That Shit Me (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fell victim to a water vending machine like that in gatwick airport. The thing was 4 people before me did the same thing but didn't bother warning the next sucker. Admittedly a few more people attempted to buy water after me.

Lol there was something about that particular vending experience that left you so jaded you didn't do the polite thing and warn the oblivious.

I fell victim to a water vending machine like that in gatwick airport. The thing was 4 people before me did the same thing but didn't bother warning the next sucker. Admittedly a few more people attempted to buy water after me.

Lol there was something about that particular vending experience that left you so jaded you didn't do the polite thing and warn the oblivious.

Aw thats mean! :p

Similar type of thing happened to us when trying to get a ticket for parking- machine proceeds to take money, yet give us no ticket.

We tried to warn as many people when we were still there, to go to a different ticket machine. :thumbsu:

At richmond station one day i got a coke out of the vending machine. two popped out instead of one, beauty! only problem was, i couldnt open the bloody plastic because they were blocking the space :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Woulda fooled so many people throughout that day untill someone fixed it...

At richmond station one day i got a coke out of the vending machine. two popped out instead of one, beauty! only problem was, i couldnt open the bloody plastic because they were blocking the space :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Woulda fooled so many people throughout that day untill someone fixed it...

LMAO. :D

Jesus you cant win can ya?!?

People vote based on leader because they're stupid and lazy and don't bother to actually look at the issues or their local member or the quality of the cabinet/shadow cabinet as a whole.

The leader does not run the country, and anyone who thinks so is utterly naive. He/she is nothing more than the charismatic figurehead of the party room/caucus whose policy platforms and members you are SUPPOSED to be voting on when you go to the polls. They may be a very influential member of that party room, but a member nonetheless.

If you vote for a party purely because of a leader who was installed by the factional bosses in cabinet, then you have absolutely no right to complain when those same factions give him the arse.

THAT'S what shits me.

Party discipline (especially voting down party lines) is so entrenched in Australian democracy that voting based on the values of your "local member" is pretty futile.

You technically elect your local member and nothing more, but the reality, based on the way parliamentary and executive institutions have evolved is that you are voting for the platform of the relative cabinets, of which the leader plays a pretty defining role, even moreso in Rudd's case.

Conscience votes are extremely rare in Australian politics, and members crossing the floor is (unlike America) virtually unheard of. If you vote for a Liberal or Labor local MP under the impression that their individual values will influence the direction of the party as a whole, you are off the mark.

Loud, obnoxious kids on their school holidays everywhere at shopping centres. Getting in the way, walking slowly and taking up entire walkways, yelling and carrying on while their equally obnoxious parents turn a blind eye and let them get away with murder.

Loud, obnoxious kids on their school holidays everywhere at shopping centres. Getting in the way, walking slowly and taking up entire walkways, yelling and carrying on while their equally obnoxious parents turn a blind eye and let them get away with murder.

Fat people (inadvertently in many cases) and Asians do this as well.

Bash them is my suggestion and don't think twice.

Wondering why the speed camera is sitting on a 60km hr zone 1km away but cant sit down at the end of my 50km hr street where cars consistently do 60-70 km hr.

The road is narrow but opens up at the end to be wide enough to park a speed camera or even a radar.

Is there any way of influencing where they park?

The difference in full fees and concession prices. Went to the chemist to pick up a prescription for medication I need - $32.00. Some peroxided, smelly bogan walks in, flashes a concession card and gets their prescription for $3.10.

I am also completing the Diploma of Management through TAFE. One module on full fees is $227.00, whilst the concession rate is $91.00.

Just sucks is all.

That is my bitch for the day.

I can appreciate that some people need assistance, but when it is given to those who sit on their arse all day producing babies and watching Oprah, just really pisses me off.

Wondering why the speed camera is sitting on a 60km hr zone 1km away but cant sit down at the end of my 50km hr street where cars consistently do 60-70 km hr.

The road is narrow but opens up at the end to be wide enough to park a speed camera or even a radar.

Is there any way of influencing where they park?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure there is a bunch or rules.

If a street is too busy, then the car operated speed cameras cant be used as there is too much distraction.
I dont know what the definition of 'too busy' is.
Went to a council meeting a while back and that's what the copper said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Party discipline (especially voting down party lines) is so entrenched in Australian democracy that voting based on the values of your "local member" is pretty futile.

You technically elect your local member and nothing more, but the reality, based on the way parliamentary and executive institutions have evolved is that you are voting for the platform of the relative cabinets, of which the leader plays a pretty defining role, even moreso in Rudd's case.

Conscience votes are extremely rare in Australian politics, and members crossing the floor is (unlike America) virtually unheard of. If you vote for a Liberal or Labor local MP under the impression that their individual values will influence the direction of the party as a whole, you are off the mark.
Well, as I noted, looking at your local member is just one factor amongst several. The other key matters being (as you say) the party's position as a whole on key issues, and the quality of the respective cabinets.

I don't think that the quality of local members is as totally irrelevant as you seem to suggest, however. You forget that whilst party discipline is strong, the power is ultimately derived from the party room. Thus the qualities of individual members (especially their factional leanings) are very important in shaping policy in the medium- and longer-term. Especially if a member lives in a marginal seat, then he can pull a lot of weight in the interests of his constituents. An MP doesn't have to cross the floor in order to make things happen.

For example, I used to live in the seat of Mitchell. Pending resolution of a few caveats, I am considering voting Liberal in the coming Federal election. However, if I was still residing in Mitchell there is no way that I would do so, because I have no interest in being represented by Alex Hawke or giving him a say in the operation of the federal Liberal party.

The difference in full fees and concession prices. Went to the chemist to pick up a prescription for medication I need - $32.00. Some peroxided, smelly bogan walks in, flashes a concession card and gets their prescription for $3.10.

I am also completing the Diploma of Management through TAFE. One module on full fees is $227.00, whilst the concession rate is $91.00.

Just sucks is all.

That is my bitch for the day.

I can appreciate that some people need assistance, but when it is given to those who sit on their arse all day producing babies and watching Oprah, just really pisses me off.

I now no longer have concession and didn't realise how good I had it. Especially on things like transport, sports and movie tickets.

How on Earth does this occur. Surely everybody can bring their own booze and you just provide some chips/snacks
I ordered pizza and in my drunkenness payed myself as it was easier to pay in 50s and scab the change from everyone later. Of course, got carried away and forgot and don't want to be the scab just chasing up people for money. Don't really mind though, under 18 so normally at parties everyone puts in money and people pay that person. All it means is i won't be paying for the next few parties :thumbsu:

Well, as I noted, looking at your local member is just one factor amongst several. The other key matters being (as you say) the party's position as a whole on key issues, and the quality of the respective cabinets.

I don't think that the quality of local members is as totally irrelevant as you seem to suggest, however. You forget that whilst party discipline is strong, the power is ultimately derived from the party room. Thus the qualities of individual members (especially their factional leanings) are very important in shaping policy in the medium- and longer-term. Especially if a member lives in a marginal seat, then he can pull a lot of weight in the interests of his constituents. An MP doesn't have to cross the floor in order to make things happen.

For example, I used to live in the seat of Mitchell. Pending resolution of a few caveats, I am considering voting Liberal in the coming Federal election. However, if I was still residing in Mitchell there is no way that I would do so, because I have no interest in being represented by Alex Hawke or giving him a say in the operation of the federal Liberal party.

That's all well and good, but what if you're local candidates are largely just names on a page or photos on a poster in your community?

Apart from sending out a fridge calender or the occassional letter reiterating policies that have already been made public by the federal leaders, my local leaders don't actually do anything here in my local community as far as I know.

If you don't know what they do, get down to your member's office and find out. They'll be more than happy to give you a ton of literature telling you all the great things they do for the community.

Get on the web and look up your member's voting record. Read the local rag, follow the preselections for the major parties. At election time, attend open forums and debates. Democracy is a participation sport.

If you don't know what they do, get down to your member's office and find out. They'll be more than happy to give you a ton of literature telling you all the great things they do for the community.

Get on the web and look up your member's voting record. Read the local rag, follow the preselections for the major parties. At election time, attend open forums and debates. Democracy is a participation sport.

If they were doing anything significant or groundbreaking in my area, wouldn't I already know about it and/or be seeing all the change they're initiating? If I've got to go down to their office to find out what they've actually been doing in the community, they're obviously not much more than a local figurehead for the party they represent.

That's a pretty lazy approach. How about you find out what they're doing and then decide if it's good enough - rather than assuming that because you're ignorant of it, it's therefore not worth consideration?

You elect these guys, FFS. I mean, I'm fairly cynical about politics but even I acknowledge that they work pretty hard. Don't you think it's worth finding out what they do with all that time? Would you hire somebody to work for you without examining their resume?

That's a pretty lazy approach. How about you find out what they're doing and then decide if it's good enough - rather than assuming that because you're ignorant of it, it's therefore not worth consideration?

You elect these guys, FFS. I mean, I'm fairly cynical about politics but even I acknowledge that they work pretty hard. Don't you think it's worth finding out what they do with all that time? Would you hire somebody to work for you without examining their resume?

I never see my local MP in the local community, and nothing they do is mentioned in the local paper as far as I know. I probably don't care enough to really research what they do outside of the public eye, but it can't be anything too spectacular if it's not getting any coverage whatsoever.

To be honest, I'd rather base my votes in federal elections on the federal leaders. At least they've shown me some sort of personality and presented some sort of policy and ideals. As I mentioned earlier, apart from sending out a fridge calender or the occassional letter reiterating policies that have already been made public by the federal leaders, my local leaders don't campaign or present themselves publicly in any way as far as I'm aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back