Things you wish they'd bring back to the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Get rid of the constant pregame noise pollution. Nothing is worse than having to listen to the endless pathetic songs and advertising. As for the wrestling/boxing style "let's get ready to rumble" dribble that seems to happen at the start of each game now.....end it now!!!! Let's return to the spontaneous roar of the crowd at the start of the game.

Agreed. Nothing like getting there early and not being able to communicate with the person sitting next to you.

I've noticed that every game is a 'big clash' - even North Melbourne V Melbourne in Round 19, 2009 :eek:

1 Thing i noticed, when Essendon were playing the Saints for a bombers home game they put up all this cheesy crap outside and when they entered, they started an Air siren. Seriously stop that stupid stuff. Play the theme song and thats it!

Get rid of the constant pregame noise pollution. Nothing is worse than having to listen to the endless pathetic songs and advertising. As for the wrestling/boxing style "let's get ready to rumble" dribble that seems to happen at the start of each game now.....end it now!!!! Let's return to the spontaneous roar of the crowd at the start of the game.

So, so true. This is one of the worst things in footy, ATM. 'Let's!!! Play footttyyyyyyy!'. Sounds like such a tosser.

Is there a way to get through to the AFL to stop this?

richskee, I remember those. I still have my Brad Boyd one somewhere, and one of Shane Watson (I think). Also got some cricket ones with Warne, Tim May and Di Venuto.

"A little bit of litter goes a long long way,
and our planet is choking on it e-ver-yday,
you got to do the right thing its your obligation
and your planet will thank you for your co-operation!"

I miss that ad :(

The cheersquad at half time at Kardinia Park walking around the boundary with a blanket pulled tight between them for supporters to throw money into. There were still $1 and $2 notes in those days so it was 50c, 20c, 10c, 5c, 2c and 1c pieces. There was lots of cold half eaten pies with sauce and warm half full cans of VB getting chucked in along with the coins.

At 3/4 time someone else would jog around the boundary holding up a small chalkboard with the winning number of the raffle scribed on it. The major prize may have been a PYE 34cm colour tv. No remote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing Fitzroy back to the AFL would easily be the best thing!

http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au
2009%20Fitzroy%20Logo.gif

Let's return to the spontaneous roar of the crowd at the start of the game.

Agreed. Nothing like getting there early and not being able to communicate with the person sitting next to you.

I've noticed that every game is a 'big clash' - even North Melbourne V Melbourne in Round 19, 2009 :eek:

Two great points. Unfortunately the AFL hates spontaneity, and thus we have this perenially beige atmosphere at most games.

Being able to have a little kick of the footy in the walkways inside the G.
If we got there early or during half time at a secluded part of the stadium (usually top level of southern stand) it was good to have a 15-20 meter kick with my brother. All of a sudden they got all anal about it. We'd be courteous and wait for people to move through, not kick it when there was heaps of people.

That 3aw song:

"It's a game for the game
Not for the faint of heart
It's a game that you'll love
Right from the very start
Stirs passion and blood
When you hear the call
You've gotta be game to play this game
And give it your all

It's Carlton, Collingwood...."

(It goes on to name all the teams except for one but I can't remember the order)

Anybody else remember that song? Loved it. Back in the 1278 days

LH, that is one of the things I miss most, from the media side of things at least. IIRC Played it right before the game, and really built anticipation to the first bounce.

That and arriving to Princes' Park first, and leaving last; witnessing the deluge of rubbish transform the stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things you wish they'd bring back to the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back